Photo

2.55 Quest Contest Entries!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Contest Winners (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Quest Overall

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which quest utilizes 2.55 features the best

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:32 PM

Hello everyone, as the 2.55 Quest Contest has concluded, here are the entries! Vote for your favorite quest as well as which entry you believe is the most 2.55-ey. The polls will remain open until March 7th, 2024, after which a winner will be announced for each category (Best Quest Overall and and usage of 2.55 features).

I will note, there was a minor change to the polls. Instead of having a scripted bracket and scriptless bracket, I have decided to change this to a best-overall quest bracket. The reason for this change is because we only had one entry that was entered for the Scriptless bracket, which isn't much of a poll! I will however state that The Deep was originally submitted for the Scriptless bracket, while the other two quests, Face Hunt and Journey Into The Novel Ruins, were both submitted to the Scripted bracket.

With all of that out of the way, let's gooo :sly:

THE DEEP

by Joaish (RedTribeLink)

99ckUPd.png

NtfbGdm.png39mw0xN.png

LuIocOt.png

DESCRIPTION

Balls of fire reigned from the sky, forcing people underground to a vast underworld that would very soon be known by all as the Deep.  Now, civilizations reside in various parts of these treacherous caverns.  While working for your hometown’s mining company, you lose your footing and fall into a chasm, leaving you stranded in an unfamiliar section of the Deep.  Explore various interconnected areas, each with their own themes, and find tools along the way utilizing unique mechanics that will aid you in not only finding home, but uncovering the secrets of these caverns and the people that reside within.

INFO

This game was made for the non-scripted bracket. Everything you see here is made fully in-engine on ZC 2.55, with exactly 0 bytes in the ZScript buffer.  You will get to see a plethora of unique gimmicks that would have been previously impossible on older versions of ZC without the use of scripts.  While this contest lasted for 3 months, this game was made in 3 1/2 weeks due to starting it late into the submission process :D

The Deep Download Link (setup below): https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/podqs3bm346dkxd0559f0/The-Deep.qst?rlkey=jea5xjt0avsc8akr3guqlqmmz&dl=0

Credits:

Spoiler

Next up, Face Hunt, by Alex/Mr. Redead:

"Uses ZC 255 A120 and should be played only with it. It is a Dungeon Romper with most of the interesting stuff inside the dungeons."

Download Link

And finally, by Lizzy, Journey Into The Novel Ruins:

Journey into the Novel Ruins is a metroidvania quest in the style of La-Mulana, where the focus is large-scale puzzles that require traversing the entire game to solve in order to reach the depths of the ruins, where your roommate is trapped. There are over 12 areas to explore, six in the overworld and six within the ruins, plus a final area.

The quest comes with 17 password-locked zip files, 16 of which are used for progressing in the game and one included as a bonus for 100% completion. The passwords can be figured out using hints given by characters in the game in specific locations. Good luck!

Download Link

I am excited to see how 2.55 gets pushed to its limits, as well as new ideas the community gets from this in future quests. :bounce:

Edited by coolgamer012345, 03 March 2024 - 03:08 PM.

• Shane, Jenny, Joelmacool and 2 others like this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:52 PM

Finished the Deep. Giving it a strong recommendation; the quest is really fun and makes full creative use of ZC 2.55. I found a few bugs, but nothing major or got patched already. The fact I would've assumed a lot of these mechanics were scripted makes this a compelling showcase of 2.55. Great work and I can't wait to complete the other entries!

• coolgamer012345 and Joaish (RedTribeLink) like this

#3 Mr.ReDead

Mr.ReDead

Mr.ReDead

• Members

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:55 PM

Face Hunt V1.1 Update!

If you started a quest file for V1.0, You should be able to use your V1.0 file for V1.1 as the min quest ver is 1.0.
Please reference the text doc to give yourself cheats if the update doesn't fully translate to your file. (Arrow Capacity for example)

I have fixed some severe issues within the quest and highly recommend everyone to update.
A quiver did not get set properly within Level 1, and has now been fixed, and the players' default arrow capacity has been upped to ten arrows.
A key was missing in a different Level and is now properly there.
I have added and allowed cheats to help players who get stuck (Check the V1.1 update text doc).
Solidity fixes and some tile errors also fixed.

I hope you'll enjoy the quest as I continue to give fixes as they are found. Don't be shy if you find an issue!

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#4 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 27 February 2024 - 03:42 PM

Face Hunt V1.1 Update!

If you started a quest file for V1.0, You should be able to use your V1.0 file for V1.1 as the min quest ver is 1.0.
Please reference the text doc to give yourself cheats if the update doesn't fully translate to your file. (Arrow Capacity for example)

I have fixed some severe issues within the quest and highly recommend everyone to update.
A quiver did not get set properly within Level 1, and has now been fixed, and the players' default arrow capacity has been upped to ten arrows.
A key was missing in a different Level and is now properly there.
I have added and allowed cheats to help players who get stuck (Check the V1.1 update text doc).
Solidity fixes and some tile errors also fixed.

I hope you'll enjoy the quest as I continue to give fixes as they are found. Don't be shy if you find an issue!

Just a heads up for everyone, I was in correspondence and with Mr.ReDead and he had another bug fix, so I went ahead and updated the download link again today! Hopefully nobody is stuck now.

#5 Mr.ReDead

Mr.ReDead

Mr.ReDead

• Members

Posted 27 February 2024 - 04:37 PM

Yes, and thank you very much!

Version 1.2 is now up and it fixes another gamebreaking bug within Level 6 (Slipping Shivers) regarding the Boots item having two instances making it impossible to clear the level. Please use cheats to give yourself the L3 Bracelet if you've opened the chest(s) within the dungeon that had the issue, or open your copy of the quest in the editor to give yourself the drop please! Thank you very much for the patience with all of these issues!

Just a heads up for everyone, I was in correspondence and with Mr.ReDead and he had another bug fix, so I went ahead and updated the download link again today! Hopefully nobody is stuck now.

• coolgamer012345 likes this

#6 Mr.ReDead

Mr.ReDead

Mr.ReDead

• Members

Posted 04 March 2024 - 11:19 AM

V1.3 is up and out now.

~Major play test done, Fixed every bug I was able to find in the run, adjusted some things in the shop, and fixed many major issues.
~A somewhat more substantial overview is within the updated readme for the Face Hunt download package!

Sorry for all the issues!

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 05 March 2024 - 01:51 PM

Just a heads up everyone, polls close on March 7th (this Thursday)!

#8 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 10 March 2024 - 11:27 PM

Thank you all very much for participating in the contest, whether you were one of the entrants, or one of the players, thanks for making this contest happen!

I am pleased to announce, for Best Quest Overall, the winner is...

The Deep

with 87.5% of the vote! Congratulations!

As well, shout-out to the runner up, Face Hunt, with 12.5% of the vote!

And for the second category, which quest Which quest utilizes 2.55 features the best, the winner is...

again, The Deep, with a whopping 100% of the vote! Good job.

I am glad 2.55 has come as far as it has and has enabled quest makers to do so much with the engine now. With that, I bid you all adieu.

Edited by coolgamer012345, 10 March 2024 - 11:27 PM.

• Joelmacool, Joaish (RedTribeLink), Kifstopher and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users