Quest Makers Needed for Help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 SCKnuckles

SCKnuckles

Master Of Amy Rose Series

• Members

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

As many of yall know, I aint a very good quest designer. Thus why I asked Atrus to help with the first. As mentioned in the q and a I put up for my 6th year of Let's Playing, I stated that this series is going to have 11 titles in it. I have a great story I can tell with it and want to make this a community project. So for that, I want to know who wants to help by getting a quest of your own to make. You may design it in any way you please but cannot mess with the story. Down below is a list of the quests and want quest maker is taking control of it. Some will require scripting, but I am hopeful that I can get multiple people to help with this fantastic project.

Reckoning Of Osiris I: Save The Let's Players-----AtrusW0nder

Reckoning Of Osiris II: Save More Let's Players-----(open spot)

Reckoning Of Osiris III: Curse Of The Let's Players-----(open spot)

Reckoning Of Osiris IV: Haunting Dreams-----EddyTheOliveira

Reckoning Of Osiris V: Awakening:-----(open spot)

Reckoning Of Osiris VI: Osiris Trials of Intellect:-----(open spot) (SCRIPTING REQUIRED)

Reckoning Of Osiris VII: Osiris Trials of Discipline:-----(open spot)(SCRIPTING REQUIRED)

Reckoning Of Osiris VIII: Osiris Trials Of Strength:-----Joelmacool

Reckoning Of Osiris XI.1: The Final Frontier-----(open spot) (SCRIPTING REQUIRED)

Reckoning Of Osiris XI.2: Savior-----(open spot)

Reckoning Of Osiris X: The Reckoning-----(open spot) (BIG QUEST)

Edited by SCKnuckles, 25 May 2016 - 08:19 PM.

• Eddy, Joelmacool and SkyLizardGirl like this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

"I have a lot of great ideas, please make them for me", I realise this is not exactly what you're saying, but this is what I read. Making a game is a lot of work, a TON of work, and having expectations or hopes that someone would make your ideas for you is kind of misguided. Because here's the thing: practically everyone has ideas.

And I don't want to rant on you specifically, it's not personal, but I see it so often where people just ask others to make crap for them. I mean, if it's small scale and you already have something show for it yourself it's generally not that hard to find people who'd be willing to help, making a script here or a a couple of tiles there isn't a huge undertaking. And if you have something to show for the project already it's easier to inspire people.

But like, in this case you're looking for nine people to make nine complete quests for you, of varying size, while following your directive and wishes.

Ideas? Those are cheap, everyone has them. Making a game? That can be hundreds of hours of work, and probably even more counting in the time it took to learn the skills needed to do so.

Edited by Lunaria, 22 May 2016 - 06:43 PM.

• Aevin, Astromeow and Deedee like this

#3 SCKnuckles

SCKnuckles

• Members

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

"I have a lot of great ideas, please make them for me", I realise this is not exactly what you're saying, but this is what I read. Making a game is a lot of work, a TON of work, and having expectations or hopes that someone would make your ideas for you is kind of misguided. Because here's the thing: practically everyone has ideas.

And I don't want to rant on you specifically, it's not personal, but I see it so often where people just ask others to make crap for them. I mean, if it's small scale and you already have something show for it yourself it's generally not that hard to find people who'd be willing to help, making a script here or a a couple of tiles there isn't a huge undertaking. And if you have something to show for the project already it's easier to inspire people.

But like, in this case you're looking for nine people to make nine complete quests for you, of varying size, while following your directive and wishes.

Ideas? Those are cheap, everyone has them. Making a game? That can be hundreds of hours of work, and probably even more counting in the time it took to learn the skills needed to do so.

I just can't design a quest, I have tried and couldn't come up with anything.  I have a story to tell, just can't make the overworld, dungeons, everything really.  So that's why I put this here to see what people think of it. 

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

I think you will need a lot of time to find enough quest makers. I already have projects and don't want to start new ones currently, but depending on how things turn out for me I will be able to help in the future.

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

I'm not trying to come off as rude, and most of what I would say was already said by Lunaria, but.. yeah. I get that you think you have the next great ZC story driven quest here, but it is unrealistic to expect people to just come, and make a quest for you, basically, when they could be making their own quest with their own story.

If you say you are better with stories, and coming up with ideas, then maybe you should focus your creative efforts in writing/ fiction, instead of game design. It takes (again, as Lunaria said) hundreds of hours, days, and days of work, and if you aren't willing to put it in, or can't put that in your self, then no one else will want to. We're hobbiests. Not professional game designers looking for work on the Blender forum.

If nine other people make the quests for you, how would you incorporate the story? Would they be making the quest from their own heads, then you'd add in the strings/ cutscenes/ story? Would each quest have a story, that the guest designer must then find a way to put in? Just curious is all, cause if you hope to maintain the quality of the story, then you'd have to make sure that these people who did it are very clear on how it will work. I think the logistics of this are not thought out as well as they could be. I don't mean to be discouraging, it's just that.. this is one of those threads, ya know?

At the very least, you should start smaller. Maybe try to get one community project off the ground before trying to make the next Chronicles of Narnia of ZC. :P

#6 SCKnuckles

SCKnuckles

• Members

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

Ok, this topic was mainly to ask if, emphasis on if, anyone wanted to help with the quest making since I can't design very well.  Nobody has to help if they don't want to, but I try to get this series up and running.  I can't stories like fan fiction or something, I want to show this story in the ZC.  I don't think I have the next big thing, all I have is a story to tell.  I refuse to start small or anything below my desires otherwise I ain't pushing the path I want.  The theory is have a different take on the design by the creator but still maintain the story I'm telling. 

If anybody does want to help, great let me know, but if not that's fine.

• Anthus likes this

#7 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

I think I might be able to get some decent quest going. Just put me down for one of the spots that doesn't require scripting.

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

Hey, I respect you for trying, and I wish you the best of luck in pulling this off, and finding the support you'll need. :)

I'd offer to help if I wasn't lazy/ had my own projects going. Sorry if I sounded like a debbie downer, I also didn't realize that you'd been around here for a while either. :heh:

#9 SCKnuckles

SCKnuckles

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

I think I might be able to get some decent quest going. Just put me down for one of the spots that doesn't require scripting.

2, 3, 5, and 9.2 dont need scripting...your choice....which ever one you want is fine

Hey, I respect you for trying, and I wish you the best of luck in pulling this off, and finding the support you'll need. :)

I'd offer to help if I wasn't lazy/ had my own projects going. Sorry if I sounded like a debbie downer, I also didn't realize that you'd been around here for a while either. :heh:

Hey it's fine man.  I just have these ideas and I want to get them down in a game rather than just tell the story straight forward.  It's up to you if you want to help, I ain't gonna beg!

#10 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

So just curious. Since you say the story is far too big for one quest file, but yet you want it to be a continuous story from quest to quest, how do you imagine having many people design the quests and have them all fit within one another? It just doesn't make sense. If you have this huge, epic storyline; don't you think it'd be much better to maybe. ... iDunno ... Trim the story down to size and fit it into a single epic grand adventure from start to finish?

If not, and you've already got the story written up fully; why not (as some other people mentioned) just release your story as a fanfiction? I would be more than happy to actually read a good fanfic versus playing through 11 different quest files just to experience the entire story. ... But that's just me. :shrug:

e: Also, how jarring would it be to go from one tileset in one quest, to a completely different one in the next one? And as each quest maker has their own design method that doesn't necessarily match someone else's ... it'd also be a rather jarring experience.

Edited by Sephiroth, 25 May 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#11 SCKnuckles

SCKnuckles

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

So just curious. Since you say the story is far too big for one quest file, but yet you want it to be a continuous story from quest to quest, how do you imagine having many people design the quests and have them all fit within one another? It just doesn't make sense. If you have this huge, epic storyline; don't you think it'd be much better to maybe. ... iDunno ... Trim the story down to size and fit it into a single epic grand adventure from start to finish?

If not, and you've already got the story written up fully; why not (as some other people mentioned) just release your story as a fanfiction? I would be more than happy to actually read a good fanfic versus playing through 11 different quest files just to experience the entire story. ... But that's just me. :shrug:

e: Also, how jarring would it be to go from one tileset in one quest, to a completely different one in the next one? And as each quest maker has their own design method that doesn't necessarily match someone else's ... it'd also be a rather jarring experience.

Not everything has to be the same, making things different gives it a different taste really.  I rather tell this story in a game rather than a fanfiction...I want to try this out and see what people can do with it

#12 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

I still think having a single quest with an epic storyline will be way better than getting 11 mediocre quests with 10 of them having cliffhangers at the end of them, but that's just me. :shrug:

Is your overall story 11 different stories, or is it a singluar story broken up into 11 parts? Is the story currently fleshed out enough where each questmaker would get a complete descriptive document detailing how the story should flow? Cutscenes, all that jazz? Cause to me it sounds like you just want everyone to do your heavy lifting. The excuse "I just can't design a quest" is a complete copout, imho. If you don't try, then of course you will never be able to design a quest. A story is much better told by the story's author versus having someone else tell your story for you.

So again, thank you for dodging the question I proposed earlier. And I would like actual proof of you being unable to design a quest. I did a quest database search and saw "SCKnuckles' Worst Nightmare" made by Eddy and yourself, and from the looks of it, all you did was provide a soundtrack. ... That's not really designing a quest. I'd like to see what you can put together in ZQuest yourself, especially if it's going to be your own story.

#13 SCKnuckles

SCKnuckles

• Members

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:04 PM

I still think having a single quest with an epic storyline will be way better than getting 11 mediocre quests with 10 of them having cliffhangers at the end of them, but that's just me. :shrug:

Is your overall story 11 different stories, or is it a singluar story broken up into 11 parts? Is the story currently fleshed out enough where each questmaker would get a complete descriptive document detailing how the story should flow? Cutscenes, all that jazz? Cause to me it sounds like you just want everyone to do your heavy lifting. The excuse "I just can't design a quest" is a complete copout, imho. If you don't try, then of course you will never be able to design a quest. A story is much better told by the story's author versus having someone else tell your story for you.

So again, thank you for dodging the question I proposed earlier. And I would like actual proof of you being unable to design a quest. I did a quest database search and saw "SCKnuckles' Worst Nightmare" made by Eddy and yourself, and from the looks of it, all you did was provide a soundtrack. ... That's not really designing a quest. I'd like to see what you can put together in ZQuest yourself, especially if it's going to be your own story.

I did try and that's when I decided I want to do this instead.  Yes, it is one story broken into 11 parts.  I tried making an overworld, dungeons, you name it, but could not come up with ideas and that took a whole year.  I know what you are saying, yes it's probably bad that Im asking other to make a quest for me, but what can I do?  I rather tell it in a game than just flat out say it, I feel it's better with action that just words. 

My mind is made up, the quest is going to be like this, 11 quests all in one story.

#14 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:35 AM

You say that it's very important your story is being told in the form of a game, which is a fine perspective. I'm honestly not sold on the idea that splitting it up into 11 quests would ever work out, but you're free to try. But the bottom line for me is this: If you're not willing to get good enough at game creation to do it yourself, then why should anyone else? People don't pick up a brush and expect to draw the Mona Lisa, it takes years of drawing to get to that level. Game design is not something that you just "do" it take a lot of real work, and just like any other art form you're going to be shit at it when you first start, everyone are.

So I don't buy the argument that you tried, since you clearly weren't willing to spend the time it takes to get decent. But if you were not willing to spend the time and effort required to get good at game design to deliver your amazing story, then why should anyone else?

I tried making an overworld, dungeons, you name it, but could not come up with ideas and that took a whole year.

You're not the only one who might have a hard time coming up with ideas. In the last couple of months I have seen two or three threads pop up asking either how a dungeon is designed or how others design dungeons. Because if you struggle at something, there is an entire community here willing to offer help or advice.

I rather tell it in a game than just flat out say it, I feel it's better with action that just words.

I want to take a minute here to talk about this, because I feel it's a bit naive of a perspective. A game is not a movie or a book. And in between those form of media you can tell very different types of stories, and have them be told in very different ways. But the main difference which makes games a unique media is that it's interactive, where as books and movies aren't. This means that a great deal of the story is simply told by the players actions. But this also means that you need to actually deliver your narrative in a very different fashion. Having a bunch of dialogue to deliver the narrative is garbage in most games. What if you played Super Mario 3D World and after ever five or so level you'd get a half a paper of dialogue delivered that explains something about bowser's intentions, etc. For one, that would break the entire flow of the game, and secondly it's not adding anything to the type of experience that the game is, and thirdly it would bore most players to death. But SM3DW realises that it doesn't need those things, because it was designed from the ground up with a very different perspective on story.

The way to deliver narrative needs to make sense for the game that is being made and not be at odds with the rest of the game's mechanics. A visual novel has a lot of text and writing, but that makes perfect sense in that type of game experience, and it goes really well with the core gameplay elements.

So if you say that this is a story that you feel is better experience in a game, then I have to wonder exactly how you're planning to have it told, and what specific story telling means you plan on using that'd only work for a game. A game such as LIMBO, Bastion, or Undertale uses the game mechanics aspects in different ways to tell a story in ways that couldn't necessarily be done in a book or a film. Because to these games, the players choice and the act of playing them yourself gives you very different perspective to it. So do you have a story and narrative device that is best told through game mechanics and the players actions? Because if you truly do, then I doubt you could ever get that across if you're having a bunch of different people making all the different games you want to hold up this narrative. And if you don't, then why is it so important to have it be told through not one game, but eleven of them?

I'm not going to tell you to stop asking for help in your endeavour, feel free to. But me? I think it's a fool's errand.

Edited by Lunaria, 26 May 2016 - 04:39 AM.

• Sephiroth, Anthus and coolgamer012345 like this

#15 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

2, 3, 5, and 9.2 dont need scripting...your choice....which ever one you want is fine

I'll go ahead and do Curse of the Let's Players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users