Calling all composers!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

This might not be what you wanted to see or hear but I find myself in need of some custom music composition, especially in regards to a few places in the quest itself. So without further ado I will made a small list here and update it when necessary:
  • A theme for the Western Lost Woods
    • What I generally need here is a two song melody of "Forest of Mystery (ALTTP Lost Woods BGM)" and "Lost Woods (OoT's Lost Woods BGM)". It just feels right to me, I need it for this area since it's basically where the access to the sacred grove worldspace is and I'm honestly suprised that no-one has thought of it.
  • A new main overworld theme
    • The current overworld theme I'm using is from Link's Awakening but again I find myself again wishing I had a melody instead, this time around being a melody that starts off with A Link to the Past Overworld theme, then it transitions to BS Zelda's Overworld theme, then it transitions to Link's Awakening's Overworld theme and then it transitions to Link's Awakening's Tal Tal Mountain theme. (Basically something similar to the (rather awesome) overworld theme from Bagel's quest 744 but not exactly the same.)
Hopefully at least one of these two song requests will get answered.

#2 alyxjones

alyxjones

• Members

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:07 AM

Are you asking for custom music or just rearrangement of existing pieces? :)

#3 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:25 AM

The request kinda states it, I need rearrangements of existing pieces as melodies.

#4 alyxjones

alyxjones

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

Yeah, that's difficult to do without consent from the copyright owner.

#5 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

The hell man? People do it all the time in their fangames, quests and whatnot. I don't see the problem with my request at all.

#6 alyxjones

alyxjones

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

They get shutdown alot though, especially Nintendo! :(

Legally if someone does an arrangement for you, they can't actually grant you permission to use it, because they only own the mechanical rights so they can't legally allow you to use it since you are reproducing it in your game, and that's a breach of copyright.

Whereas if you ask for something inspired by that music, you can use it as much as you need. It's not worth getting burned on imo :/

#7 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Dude, just stop. It's blatantly obvious that you're new to PureZC and you clearly don't know how things work 'round these parts. I won't have you scaring off potential respondees to my request simply because of your legal-philia. None of what you even said applies here on PureZC because ZeldaClassic. It's painfully clear that you came here expecting just another Zelda fan site, I hate to break it to you mister but 'round these parts we use a program we call zelda-classic to make full on fangames called "quests" and the "quests" we make often use remixes and rearrangements of pre-existing songs in midi file form for everything from dungeons to overworlds, to just about anything else you can name. I am about to recommend that you partake of the ancient and time honoured tradition of "lurking more" and maybe even getting ZC and playing a few quests, We are not the innocent zelda fan-site you presume us to be.

Edited by FireSeraphim, 20 February 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#8 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

I believe it's only not allowed to upload such a midi to the database of the site (PZC rules), but otherwise it's perfectly fine and I don't think Nintendo would give a damn anyway.

I would help with the midi's if I could, but I'm no good at arrangements, only at simple midis or changing some instruments. Though I imagine that if you download Anvilstudio and copy/paste fragments of midis on vgmusic together, you'd get pretty far.

#9 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

They get shutdown alot(sic) though, especially Nintendo! :(
Legally if someone does an arrangement for you, they can't actually grant you permission to use it, because they only own the mechanical rights so they can't legally allow you to use it since you are reproducing it in your game, and that's a breach of copyright.
Whereas if you ask for something inspired by that music, you can use it as much as you need. It's not worth getting burned on imo :/

M8, what are you smoking? You're on a fangame site, using an engine that recreates the mechanics of Zelda 1 and this quest in question is a remake of Zelda 1.

We are practically trampling on copyright already, so this is practically a non-issue. If copyright holders wanted to send C&Ds, they already could.

#10 alyxjones

alyxjones

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

obviously I'm new around here, I understand what a fan game is and that it's a massive grey area...

but equally don't want to do one project and get sued...

rather than being cruel maybe it's better to explain why it would be ok

#11 alyxjones

alyxjones

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

Dude, just stop. It's blatantly obvious that you're new to PureZC and you clearly don't know how things work 'round these parts. I won't have you scaring off potential respondees to my request simply because of your legal-philia. None of what you even said applies here on PureZC because ZeldaClassic. It's painfully clear that you came here expecting just another Zelda fan site, I hate to break it to you mister but 'round these parts we use a program we call zelda-classic to make full on fangames called "quests" and the "quests" we make often use remixes and rearrangements of pre-existing songs in midi file form for everything from dungeons to overworlds, to just about anything else you can name. I am about to recommend that you partake of the ancient and time honoured tradition of "lurking more" and maybe even getting ZC and playing a few quests, We are not the innocent zelda fan-site you presume us to be.

I'm certainly not meaning to cause trouble. If they have a better understanding of how things work then I'm sure they won't be scared off at all.

I've only been a part of one other game created using the framework and it didn't breach any copyright so I am just trying to tread carefully.

I was confused originally because you asked for "custom music composition" but what you actually want is original music, rearranged. As someone who writes original music, it can be a bit of a legal minefield. Sorry to have bothered all of you and good luck finding someone.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

Easy, people. There's no need to be this hostile to someone expressing concerns, especially a newcomer. What kind of impression does that give the rest of the site? Not a very good one. It's okay to correct someone, but not in such a condescending way. In fact, you've essentially told him to stop posting, which is unacceptable.

That being said, there's nothing to fear about remixing music, especially when it's not being sold commercially; there's nothing to fear there. However, it's probably for the best we end this discussion here so that the thread can continue its original purpose.

#13 alyxjones

alyxjones

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Easy, people. There's no need to be this hostile to someone expressing concerns, especially a newcomer. What kind of impression does that give the rest of the site? Not a very good one. It's okay to correct someone, but not in such a condescending way. In fact, you've essentially told him to stop posting, which is unacceptable.

That being said, there's nothing to fear about remixing music, especially when it's not being sold commercially; there's nothing to fear there. However, it's probably for the best we end this discussion here so that the thread can continue its original purpose.

Thanks for your understanding and explanation :)

#14 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

• Members

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

@The Satellite: Sorry 'bout that. I was kinda getting frustrated with alyxjones (Been up all night and all morning and afternoon, I guess my rope was really shortened then. =(  )

Sorry everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users