legend zelda link to the past review thoughts opinions video

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Shosci

Shosci

Gaming Topics and Live Streams

• Members

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

I understand that majority of the forums in the Gaming and Entertainment section involves Let's Plays, though seeing that this is a Zelda game, I kinda wanted to put this out there.

A Link to the Past is one of the most proclaimed Zelda titles in the series. It seems that anyone I know personally or based on the community's viewpoint that a Link to the Past is also there favorite Zelda game. I on the other hand didn't see it. I actually hated the game for a while, but that was back in 2010. I finally went back to play it again twice this year to see if my thoughts might have changed.

That's what this video is for, a short look at the game and what I think of the game entirely. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube....h?v=mOK7epkZhNg

• Shane, Lightwulf and SyrianBallaS like this

#2 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

I love A Link to the Past, Nintendo should've put the oracles and LA on the SNES or at least N64. The PS1/X had 2d games shit the PS3 and Xbox 360 had 2d games. (Don't know about the rest, it's a waste of my money at present)

Edit: I did own an SNES but it broke, the next system I had was GameCube, it broke. Next PS3 and it's still kickin'.

I didn't own and still do own a lot of games because of my broke ass college student lifestyle. Believe it or not, I paid for the first two years of college (community college) from working alone.

Trivia: Sahasrahla is actually a weird Arabic nickname, a lot of names and stuff in zelda are from the Arab/Phoenician culture like Sheik which means scholar (wisdom for the holder of the triforce of wisdom/ Zelda but the Triforce has nothing to do with it in real life) in Arabic .

Saha is a way of saying Logical One in Arabic muntika (منطقة) (Logic is just muntik w/o the Taa marboota, the looped taa (T sound)) and rahla means slight: Tufeef (طفيف)

Sahasrahla is not really a name and more of a nickname pretty much meaning The One With Slight Logic (Which makes sense)

It could be translated differently depending on how you look at it, vowelize it, contextualize it, deconstruct it, like Saahir is like magician but rahla is still slight. Pure Arabic is a language of logic where every word has one meaning, the dialects are just dialects aka local/regional/national slang. Like I speak Arabic in the Syrian/Shami/Damushki/Damascusian dialect and I can tell you it is not Pure Arabic.

Forgot to mention something, Sheikah means female scholar, scholars is shuyook

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 08 July 2015 - 03:38 PM.

• Astromeow, Dark Ice Dragon and Logos like this

#3 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

Except Link's Awakening and the Oracle series were specifically designed to attract Zelda fans to the Gameboy scene. Having no Zelda games on the Gameboy would of sucked.

Anyways, on the subject of A Link to the Past, I probably have an unpopular opinion here. Now first of all don't get me wrong, it's almost undeniably a very enjoyable game, but it doesn't do it for me still. And with A Link Between Worlds out now, I probably won't have the desire to replay it anytime soon. It's not that there's flaws or anything, but I don't think it's anything too special and there are other Zelda titles that I have enjoyed more. It's just a matter of me not being able to love it, I guess, despite having fun with each playthrough. INB4 I'm beaten up verbally cause opinions.

But either way, nice video. I certainly do enjoy other opinions.

• Haylee and SyrianBallaS like this

#4 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

Z3 plays a lot like Z1 just improved logic and graphics. LA Plays like Z1, w/ better logic. The Oracles technically have improved graphics (it's really hard to tell, but some games like Pokemon Gold/Silver had 512 colors instead of 256) than Z3 and improved logic. Yet, the logic in OoT and Zelda3 are about the same.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 09 July 2015 - 12:12 AM.

• Shane likes this

#5 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

A Link to the Past was what set the Zelda conventions to stone, and it did a very good job at deciding what conventions would be best for the series, but I feel as if Ocarina of Time stepped it up just a little with in-game backstory, dungeon themes, individual songs, etc. But yeah, I feel Ocarina of Time was a good spiritual successor (of sorts) of A Link to the Past.

• Avaro likes this

#6 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

Link's Awakening is objectively the best Zelda game, you all just have shit taste.

IDK, I just can't get into ALTTP. It's a pretty good game, but I just don't see the appeal.

• Shane and MarinaraSauce like this

#7 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

A Link to the Past was what set the Zelda conventions to stone, and it did a very good job at deciding what conventions would be best for the series, but I feel as if Ocarina of Time stepped it up just a little with in-game backstory, dungeon themes, individual songs, etc. But yeah, I feel Ocarina of Time was a good spiritual successor (of sorts) of A Link to the Past.

I would tend to disagree. While I'm in neither the "LttP was a masterpiece" nor the "OoT is overrated" category, I think Link to the Past had much more polish than Ocarina of Time. OoT had rather weak design and I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed the gameplay even 50% of the time. Again, that's not to say I think A Link to the Past is a masterpiece. It doesn't even make my top 5 favorite Zelda games, if memory serves. But I've always stood by the opinion that going from A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time was a step down.

Edited by Fabbrizio, 09 July 2015 - 12:35 AM.

• Shane likes this

#8 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:00 AM

I would tend to disagree. While I'm in neither the "LttP was a masterpiece" nor the "OoT is overrated" category, I think Link to the Past had much more polish than Ocarina of Time. OoT had rather weak design and I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed the gameplay even 50% of the time. Again, that's not to say I think A Link to the Past is a masterpiece. It doesn't even make my top 5 favorite Zelda games, if memory serves. But I've always stood by the opinion that going from A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time was a step down.

Ah. To each their own, of course. To clarify though, while I do prefer Ocarina of Time out of the two, I was talking more about about how Ocarina of Time provided just a few more conventions than A Link to the Past did thus stepping it up a little. I wasn't really talking about or comparing the quality of the games or the conventions themselves.

But I guess it's obvious the last statement I said last post is pretty much subjective. But I just wanted to clarify that most of my post wasn't exactly praising Ocarina of Time over A Link to the Past. I personally think both are equally great, but Ocarina of Time has a little more for me to desire.

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

And yet they both lose to the Oracle games.  MWUAH-HAHAHA!

A Link to the past is awesome, but yeah, it needed more musical variety with the dungeons.  Just like Zelda 1, having to hear the same dungeon theme over eight dungeons is tiresome, to say the least.  It's not as bad as Back to the Future NES or Ghostbusters NES, where you basically hear one song over the whole game, but it might as well be considered the same when you're in the dungeons most of the time.

The Oracles did ALMOST everything LTTP and OoT did, but much better.  The only thing they don't have is freedom to do dungeons out of order.  But the stories are much more engaging, there are more secrets about, the puzzles are more intricate, the "second worlds" are more interesting, and the arsenals at your disposal are more fun.

Speaking of that, can someone tell me, why, a 3D Zelda, has YET, to incorporate one of the Roc's Items?  It makes no fawkin' sense.  I mean, hello, jumping and soaring into the air in 3D space?  It would've been a much better item than Ocarina of Time's silly Hover Boots, that's for sure.

Edited by Koh, 09 July 2015 - 07:10 AM.

• MarinaraSauce likes this

#10 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

Uh, Skyward Sword had jumping I believe. :P

#11 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

>and it did a very good job at deciding what conventions would be best for the series

Do you really believe visible cracks in bombable walls and straight telling the player the dungeon order were smart ideas and "a good job"?

I think it was terrible.

#12 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

Because it wasn't designed to be secret, but rather an obstacle. If you think that was intended to be a secret, the joke's on you. I really think the bombable wall "secret" argument is a common misconception. Nowadays it's like calling a peg you hammer down a secret.

And sure, telling the dungeon order is harmless. It's been a thing since, you know, Zelda 1.

Edited by Shane, 09 July 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#13 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:22 AM

Even in Ocarina of Time you had to slash the walls to find secrets. And in Zelda 3 there is this storage house that doesn't have the clicking sound in kakariko village. Some cracked walls in zelda 3 don't make clicking sounds as well.

And some cracked walls are just cracked walls.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 09 July 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#14 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

A lot of Zelda titles have that feature. I would consider those more to be secrets, since you're mostly relying on audio cues and suspicion.

#15 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

No, it was designed to be a secret. Zelda 1 is all about secrets. That's why bombable walls looked as any other wall. That's the point of secrets, if you know there's a secret then it stops being a secret and becomes Simon Says: put bomb, take item, continue with the adventure. But if it's a secret, then there can be secrets anywhere, and makes the overworld bigger.

And while Z1 has an order, it didn't tell you that except when you already found the entrance to the dungeon. Which required exploring the overworld on your own. In ALttP the game tells you the order both in dialogues and in the in-game map. From that to fragmented overworlds and straight paths being called "dungeons" is... oh, a mere formality and twenty years of watering down your franchise, one game after another.
  • SyrianBallaS likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: legend, zelda, link, to, the, past, review, thoughts, opinions, video

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users