Big Chest Key Gimmick and Progress

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:10 AM

I would like to introduce to you a new dungeon gimmick for this game and give a general update on progress. For those of you who have played Parallel Worlds, you may remember that you had to collect two different keys: A Big Key and a Big Chest Key. The Big Key opened the Big Locked Doors while the Big Chest Key opened the Big Chest containing the main item. I have figured out how to implement this in ZC and am going to experiment with it in this game! The Big Chest Key will be called the Treasure Key in this game.

If you come to the Big Chest before collecting the Treasure Key, you'll get this message:
Posted Image

This is what getting the Treasure Key looks like:
Posted Image

Once you have the key, you'll be able to use it on the Big Chest:
Posted Image

Like I said before, the Treasure Key only opens Big Chests. Only Boss Keys open Big Locked Doors. I'm hoping this becomes pretty innovative and that I can create some unique dungeon flow using this.

As far as progress goes, I've finished Level 1 and the surrounding areas. It's getting close to where I can release a solid demo which spans past the intro area to a mini dungeon and then to Level 1, along with some story. However, I am debating on holding it off for a while until I have more areas for you to explore, because right now, it's just a somewhat linear path through what I have so far. The full game will have a boatload of exploring, which I want people to experience when they play this. What do you guys think?

To close us off, I'll leave you with a teaser shot of one of the new areas:
Posted Image

That's all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed this. Thanks for reading and have a nice day!
  • ShadowTiger, Eddy, Avaro and 5 others like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:47 AM

I'm really liking that Key idea and it seems really unique. I can imagine this being used in quite a lot of crazy ways throughout the quest :P

• Joaish (RedTribeLink) likes this

#3 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:01 AM

Oh lol, I had a similar idea in my quest, the only difference is that the boss key is called the grand key and it opened both the grand chest and grand door. (The grand chest always has a stray fairy in it).

Good luck with your guest dude!

#4 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

Thanks guys!  I'm hoping to get a lot of crazy things out of it in this quest!  The stray fairy idea also sounds really interesting.

• Eddy and Joelmacool like this

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:28 AM

No objections here. I wont call it revolutionary, but multiple key types can be put to good use.

A while back, I made some scripts for 'coloured keys', as in 'Castle Excellent', and have thought of reusing that, to add key types to standard ZC dungeons, but I hesitate to use it, as it may make the mechanic too complex. The item chest key though, should work well; and I see you have a secondary use for it, which is good.

The main reason for the item in PW, was because Euclid/Seph couldn't figure out how to customise dungeon maps, so they replaced the map, and the compass, with the big chest key, and the 'stone tablet items, to ensure that there were three, useful dungeon items. Giving it a second use, will make it feel like less of a gimmick.

In my case, I was planning to have four, to six coloured key types, plus silver (unlock any doors in that area), and gold (unlock any doors, anywhere). I was further thinking of making silver, and gold keys, one-time only boss-lock keys, whereas an area 'master' key would open any doors in that area, without limits. I have all of that sitting on a drive, as it felt over-complex for a player to comprehend. For a clone of 'Castle Excellent'--something I may eventually revisit--it's mandatory.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 16 June 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#6 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

Thanks!  The color key thing actually sounds like something that could be a lot of fun.  I knew about the reason the Big Chest Key and the Tablet were used in PW, I've always thought it was cool.  In a way, my second reason for using the Big Chest Key is similar to that, because I'm using the Map and Compass for something different than just searching for them in the dungeons.

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

If you are curious, it worked by placing an FFC by the door, that if the player had a key of the correct colour, opened the door (combo->ID ++).

Nothing too difficult, but I've avoided placing it in any of my active projects, although that FFC has found new use in RPG.qst (Menu->Unlock).

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 17 June 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#8 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

I do a similar method with the Big Chest, by using an FFC in front of the chest to detect the key so that it'll let you open the chest.  In any case, still pretty cool!

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:23 AM

Truth be told, my approach to coloured key locks with the FFCs, was lame. If I were to do it now, I'd make it a global function that ran on ComboCollision() or ComboTypeCollision(), as that wouldn't require setting up a thousand ffcs just to open doors.

For one-per-dungeon use, it's fine, but three or more, per screen in every screen in a game, got old, fast. That's the same reason that I made special scripted triggers, combo collision based.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 18 June 2015 - 02:23 AM.

#10 Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Joaish (RedTribeLink)

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

Right, it can get old.  Fortunately, these chests are only appearing a few times.  I usually use ffcs more often since i'm still getting use to scripting, but hopefully I'll be able to write global stuff a lot better someday.  :)

• Avaro likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users