Subscreen fun

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jsm116

jsm116

Script kludger

• Members

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

I've spent most of the last day and a half writing a subscreen, partly because I'm a masochist but mostly because of the change in mechanics I want to try for this quest. The standard Zelda setup where A is tied to the sword and all the other tools and weapons are selectable on B just doesn't do it, nor does opening up A for selection, as in LA. I'm taking it one step further. The B button is tied to the four weapons--swords, bows, wands, and hammer. The A button is for the tools--boomerang, whistle, hookshot, potions, torches, bombs, super bombs, and landmines. I've already got the Y button tied to jumping. And, if I can get it working (whee!) the X button will be tied to the spells. But that means basically rewriting all my spells. Good thing I haven't actually written too many of them yet.

Once that's done there will be a second half to the subscreen with stats and equipment (like armor and the raft, etc), the minimap, and quest goals.

Eventually I'll get back to drawing the dungeons, I swear. :)

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

You're scripting your own subscreen? Good luck, man. You'll need it. But the end result should be pretty awesome.

#3 jsm116

jsm116

Script kludger

• Members

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

I appreciate the kind words. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Lots and lots of copy and paste and changing numbers results in tons of hard coded spaghetti mess. But it freaking works. I have a feeling I've missed some giant, game breaking glitch that will be discovered by a playtester facing off against the final boss, but what the heck. I'm trying to get going on having the spells all tied to a button other than A or B, and its giving me some difficulties. Perhaps its because I spent six hours working on the subscreen last night and another 9ish today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users