Intro Cutscene

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A Link to Frustration

A Link to Frustration

Link to Frustration

• Members

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

It's rough, it's low quality, and it has a LOT of insistence that it's not for profit (enough to be somewhat annoying, although better safe than sorry), but here it is! The First Trailer/Opening Cutscene for my upcoming quest!

https://www.youtube....h?v=bvaWbaSzgGw

I actually got that up quicker than I thought I would! Anyhow the comments on the video are left locked, so if anything has anything to say, all comments, criticism, praise, trolled statements, and all around smart-ass remarks can go up as replies to this topic. Preferably not trolling though. Smart-ass remarks can be entertaining if done well though, so those are always welcome!

On that note I'd like to propose a toast: :toast:, TO ENTERTAININGLY WELL WRITTEN SMART-ASS REMARKS!

Edited by A Link to Frustration, 07 November 2014 - 02:25 PM.

• Jared likes this

#2 LinkFan212

LinkFan212

EVERYDAY is a BIG DAY

• Members

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:22 PM

Ehh...I guess ok. You said critic so I'll kind of be one. First of all:

"Evil doesn't want to be disturbed" cliché

Gotta have that, don't you? xD

Other than that, it lacked interest...See I got bored just keeping on reading the same cutscene for so long. If that kind of confuses you...let me put it in this way:
In every Zelda games intro (I'm going to use Ocarina of Time's intro for example), the setting keeps switching. The Deku tree keeps talking, while the screen keeps switching from place to place, to keep up the interest. Imagine the Deku Tree saying exactly what he says, only it showing him the whole darn time, wouldn't that get boring? That's what it's doing here, your just staying on one screen the whole entire time...and that gets a bit irritating...in my opinion at least.

I do understand that this is a working intro, and that's not bad. But to change it, you can keep the same strings and everything, but just after every few string texts, switch to another screen. And with that, make sure the screen is in correspondence to what Ganon and his creation is talking about.

Hope this helps! :D 

#3 A Link to Frustration

A Link to Frustration

Link to Frustration

• Members

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:25 AM

Yah, I'll admit the whole evil overlord getting pissy when he's interrupted thing is a little overused, but Ganon's character is being based mainly off of what I remember from the cartoons. So many not-quite-fond memories of him freaking out at moblins who were just bringing him news he ordered them to get in the first place! Not really all that nice a guy...

The screen stagnation thing was very helpful. I'd been trying to show as little of Ganon's new lair as possible so that there would be some mystery to finding out where it was and navigating your way through it, but after reading your advice I actually kind of can see your angle. It's like being stuck in the stifling bingo tent across from a flunky caller and a sweaty pig-like grandmother. I'll see what I can do about branching out into a few more rooms, maybe getting some fresh air in there.

And once I got past the thrill of seeing my creation playing out, I actually did notice it was a little draggy. I have the sprites made up already, but I don't think I even really want to bother making Ganon's lips move while he talks! Too much trouble over too many screens. Anyway's, I better get to sleep. Hard to set up evil schemes for people to foil when I'm exhausted out of my mind! Honestly, I'm so sleepy right now I feel drunk...  :tard:

• LinkFan212 likes this

#4 LinkFan212

LinkFan212

EVERYDAY is a BIG DAY

• Members

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

Lol, well at least it did help.

With the "Evil getting disturbed" cliché, I was just messing with you about that. Even though I do agree it is used too much, I do like it. Especially how people use the cliché. I know I've seen it in many ways where the minion gets insta-killed if he disturbs the evil (Forget what movie...but it was a movie). I just like to see how people use that cliché, because no matter what, it has the same meaning, but the way you put it out there makes it special. ;)

Yeah and you know what you could do is show Ganon's lair, but every time you switch a screen, go to the other side of his lair to add more...confusion. Like if people remember the intro and once they get into his lair, the first screen they see could be the last screen they saw in the intro...get my gist?

Anyways, I am looking forward to seeing what exactly you do. Because remember this...it's scientifically proven that people remember the beginning of performance, and ending of performances the best. So you ALWAYS want to start your quest amazing, and end your quest amazing. That will keep you and your audience happy! :D 

#5 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

I second what LinkFan said, try to make events happen on different screens, hmmmm, you could try to sum it all up a bit, because trust me, players don't like huge walls of text. Other than that, I would like to see the final version of this intro once it's finished, just to see how different it would look :)

#6 A Link to Frustration

A Link to Frustration

Link to Frustration

• Members

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:12 AM

Something else I remember from the cartoon I might be able to take advantage of is Ganon's annoying habit to think out his plans aloud, but stop every few words to every sentence or so, snap his fingers, and teleport, before then finishing or continuing his sentence.

The quality is really crappy, but if you go to 5:47 (right before it turns to 5:48) on this (http://www.youtube.c...h?v=B4zYIWBw2-A) video you'll see what I mean. "Maybe I could <snap>...

...use that <snap>...

...to travel between different rooms <snap>...

...without showing how they're connected!"

"Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahaha!"

...Damn, I really wish I could do that! I'd make getting from the sofa to the kitchen a hell of a lot easier!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooh! Or even better! Here'a a teleportation montage!

http://www.dailymoti...eleports_travel

Funny enough, look at the category for the dailymotion one, and it lists the video under "travel".

Edited by A Link to Frustration, 12 November 2014 - 12:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users