Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:29 AM

Latest as of 10:15GMT, 30th May 2014:

Download: v0,69, Release 53(A) SR-E

Download v0,68 Release 52(A), SR-F

Right then...

As of v0,68, Release 52, the game has properly operational JRPG menus, via Tango b2. Thank you Saffith!

I configured a series of additional test menus, that descend five deep. Note, that none of these actually do anything beyond opening more menus, or making screen effects, but I will add the functions for each, in due time. They also do not freeze the action at present, so using them can be dangerous.

zelda260.png
Latest Main Menu Update as of 13:00GMT, 29th May 2014

Scripts for this are here.

Using Menus

Ex1: Opens the Menu
A: Selects Menu Options*
B: Goes Backward

*If you press B while text is scrolling, it will use your B-item. This is because the menus don't freeze the game action, which I'll eventually address.

This system should otherwise be what you're used to seeing in most JRPG console games. I should, and plan to, add a function to close all menus with a second press of Ex1, and I may change some button assignments, so that A/B affect text speed, and L/R affect menu navigation. I'm not sure how convoluted that would be to players; and I may reverse those options, or if I'm very clever, add a 'Game->Config' menu, that allows you to set buttons to menu actions as you desire, along with other configuration options. :P

zelda210.png

zelda217.png

zelda224.png

zelda249.png

zelda250.png

zelda251.png

zelda252.png

zelda253.png

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 30 May 2014 - 04:17 AM.

• Obderhode likes this

#2 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

Wow, that is very cool! This whole project looks very impressive. :)

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

I've resolved most of the menu problems, save for one: The Stats menu (and future menus like it) unfreeze the game action, while they draw. I hope to fix this soon, once I find the source of the problem.

Updated: 09:30GMT, 30th May 2014

I moved the stats into an array, instead of using counters; and fixed stat functions, so they now display the correct values, and increase as desired.

Here is a quest update (requires a new .sav file): Release 53 ( A ), ( SR D )
SR-D uses a work-around to bypass the screen freeze problem. It's like putting sticky tape on your windows, in case of nuclear blast, but it;s better than naught. The 'Done' option is now at the top of the Stats window, rather than the bottom, and this causes all the text to draw in one frame.

zelda334.png

Here is a Scripts Dump with everything used in the above sub-version. (Now outdated. I'll publish v53 scripts, or whatever is current, with the next proper release.)

Screenshots of the Stats Menu follow...

zelda267.png

zelda272.png

zelda276.png

zelda279.png

zelda281.png

zelda282.png

zelda322.png

zelda323.png

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 30 May 2014 - 03:39 AM.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Wow, great stuff here. If I had someone with your enthusiasm slaving working on these JRPG menus I've been putting off for about a year I might have something playable by now.

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

Wow, great stuff here. If I had someone with your enthusiasm slaving working on these JRPG menus I've been putting off for about a year I might have something playable by now.

I cracked up over that! Really, Saffith's Tango is what makes this possible, so the thanks go to him

If I had this kind of framework a year ago, i'd probabot be much closer to done by now too.

my hext step, is to add the 'Trainer Mode', to teach a new player how to use the game, what all the buttons do, how to read the status screens, etc.; which I somehow need to do at the sae time as adding functions to those menus.

I have an idea for tying the action commands (look, search, talk, etc.,.) into FFCs, but it's far more convoluted than it seems, because the FFC needs to have a great deal of information, on player distance, relative location, and objects between it, and the player. for example, if there is an FFC, that can be used with the Look command, but it's behind a solid object, the player shouldn't be able to look at it...unless their Assense skill (something from my books) is high enough.

There ae many factors to consider, for all of these commands, and the menus Look, Item, Talk, etc; will all have submenus. Skills is going to be the most complicated of all, and I hope to connect it to a scripted subscreen, so that if a player wants to check on an inventory item with a skill, such as Mystic lore, or History lore, they don;t need to pick the item from a bland, text list, but can instead, open the subscreen, and then click on it, with their mouse.

With regard to our projects, I'm curious what you're working on at present. You've been rather quiet lately, but I think you spend more time on AG, and I spend very little tie there; mostly because I spend too much time here.

I would like to give that freeform scrolling matrix you made a go too, for a city area with no enemies. I think it should work with FFCs that react to menu actions, and I think it would be a neat visual effect, for cities, and especially delves. (Think, Moria here: It's hard to pull off the immense nature of a gigantic undergound city of stone, with single screens. The scrolling effect, will greatly improve the feeling of scale. I'm also going to need to go a great deal of custom sprite work for people, and location settings; especially on futuristic planets, or in spacecraft.

I expect another two yeards, at the bare minimum, before most of this comes into focus; assuming I'm still breathing then.

I furthered the RPG header, and posted more functions to the thread (see my signature, if interested). I added one reRand function, but it only allows a single exclusion at present. I'm not quite certain how to do a proper exclusion map, and I have a feeling that to hold the values of an exclude map, unless they';re hard-coded into a function, I'll need to make an array of non-specified size, or somehow constrain things so that an exclusion map only operates up to 1d100 rolls (so: exclusionMap[100]={ * } ; ).

This kind of thing is useful, when you have path options in menus, that can only be used once; that should fork to other path options when selected. It's not a problem in the real world, with actual dice, but it's tricky to achieve in a way that's easy to use in code, because the values do need to be stored; and each function that needs a special exclusion map, will need its own array.

If you have Skype, feel free to add me there. (My username is identical, and should be unique: I doubt anyone's spoofed it as yet.)

Thanks for the encouragement too! I look forward to any status reports on your own work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users