Oh dear God I hope I'm not copying anybody.
Hey there! This is a WIP tutorial to cover common misconceptions about stuff in general ZQuest. Scripting, design, etc. This is here to make sure you do not limit yourself over something you think is impossible, but really, isn't. Please, if you feel there is something that should be added to this list, suggest it! It's a WIP after all!
1. Combo Cycling cannot be on layers.
Okay, so there is this thing called combo cycling. You've likely heard of it. It let's you have one combo change into another combo into another combo after it's animation is finished. This is mostly used for spike floors and other shenanigans. However, back in the 2.10 days, you were unable to use combo cycling on layers, as it would just not work. As of the 2.50 update, this is no longer true, and you are now able to use combo cycling on layers. I myself only learned this about 3 weeks ago.
2. Recoloring only works in 4 bit.
When importing tiles, you might notice this thing called "recolor". This recolors your tiles to closely match the original picture. However, it might seem like it's not recoloring correctly, and that it is limited to your current CSet. This is only partly true. It is normally only limited to your current CSet, but if you hold shift while press recolor... Viola! You just recolored your tile more accurately than before!
3. Resetting screens without scripts is impossible.
Ever had an item that you wanted to respawn, or a secret you wanted undone? Introducing the reset combo type! Only in 2.50! It resets the screen state to normal when you step on it! You can even choose what gets reset and what doesn't, using the "no reset" checkbox list in Screen->Data! Hurray for reset combos!
4. Enemy Size is Limited to 4 x 4- Yes and no. With Ghost.zh, the enemy that can be created can only be 4 x 4. However, if you use other methods; you can make a foe pretty much any size that you want. Really, the only limitation is the screen itself. You can even duplicate some of the fancy effects Ghost.zh has, like exploding death animations or having the foe flash when hit; if you know how.
5. Tiered Secrets Cannot Carryover to Another Screen- Even on the same screen, keeping permanent tiered secrets in effects requires a script. Carrying it over to a second screen merely requires another script on that screen as well; along with instructions on how to handle the carryover within the script. I myself have accomplished this and a link to my method can be found within the topic 'Table of Contents for Scripts I'ved Developed/Found' in my signature.
(placing it right here instead, ywkls): http://www.purezc.ne...showtopic=68198
RIP POST THREAD WIP MORE COMING WHEREVER
Edited by Dimentio, 12 December 2015 - 11:34 AM.