Hitodama Help and Discussion

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#46 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

I also tend to hide them in places that require you to put yourself at risk. Pay special attention on screens with traps, fire bars or other obstacles, or areas of the screen where you wouldn't normally go.

If you truly can't find them, I'll put together a little guide or something.

I hope you're enjoying the quest. :)

• Eddy likes this

#47 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

I also tend to hide them in places that require you to put yourself at risk. Pay special attention on screens with traps, fire bars or other obstacles, or areas of the screen where you wouldn't normally go.

If you truly can't find them, I'll put together a little guide or something.

I hope you're enjoying the quest. :)

I'm loving this quest, getting me very hyped to see how great HM2 will be :D

But yeah, I'll try and look more into those 2 places. I find it pretty funny how I'm only missing coins in Willville and Jackland... and that's where I fought the bosses in lol.

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 08 September 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#48 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

So I have made it to Elysium and I just got my first key. I now have no idea how to progress and I have no idea where the key lock is. Also I dunno how to get past the maze on the 3rd screen (I'm pretty sure there are hints, but I probably don't understand them).

#49 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:09 PM

Try looking at the colors you can find elsewhere in the level. The solution is spoilered.

Maze Path

#50 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

Took a fraction over 10 hours but i finally got it. Quest complete, 100%. over 20 deaths, this quest is done.

enjoyed it :)

#51 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:24 AM

Congratulations! I'm glad you had a good time! Thanks for playing. :)

• MermaidCim likes this

#52 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:43 AM

Been playing a it a bit lately. Have Shadow Magic and explored most of Willville and some of the desert area. I've been enjoying it so far, but there are a few things that feel off.

- Most of the spells, especially Earth, feel underused in exploration.

- Going off this point, there are very few rooms in the quest within their respective areas that require later items to get you in.

- Most of the spells are very limited of use in combat outside OHKOing their opposite element spirits given their high costs and lack of effective matchups against enemies. I understand that they shouldn't be spammable, but I feel that they are at the point where they are best used in a very stingy manner and therefore more like tools. On that token, the elemental spirits shouldn't be OHKOed by their opposite elements after balancing changes, making them trivial once you have the correct magic.

Current stats:

7 Hearts

1 Magic expansion

21 Coins.

#53 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:57 AM

Hi! I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Everyone seems to have their favorites among the spells. For everyone I've heard telling me "Earth Magic is useless!" I've had someone else insist it's their favorite spell. Certain magics work very well on certain enemies, and not all players seem to get the enemy weaknesses. It's also tough balancing spell costs. What seems expensive in the beginning may end up infinitely spammable in the end, especially since there's a relatively high magic drop rate.

I totally hear what you're saying about there not being more areas you have to return to open with later spells. In many cases, it's for purely technical reasons. Earth magic is a scripted weapon without built-in triggers, so every time there's a trigger I need to set up a script. The same is true of Dark magic, with the added difficulty of trying to put the switch out of reach. That, and the relatively small size of the game, make it hard to tuck away magic-triggered secrets without designing whole rooms around it.

While I understand most of your criticisms, it's tough to do anything about it. In a lot of cases, I've sort of built myself into a corner.  I understand it doesn't mean much to a player experiencing the end product, but all I can say is I've done the best I can.

Thanks again. I'll definitely keep your impressions in mind. :)

#54 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

Use earth with "darknuts" ;)

#55 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:26 AM

Earth's biggest utility is dealing damage to a group of monsters while giving you freedom to move away while they're stuck in the AOE. Not my favorite, but it certainly does contribute to the game as a whole I feel.

#56 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

Without spoiling, I'll list how I ranked the spells.

Wind

Thunder

Water

Ice

Earth

Light

Dark

Fire

Reason I have Fire at lowest....other than lighting up rooms and damaging those flower enemies...I didn't use it all that much. I always had Wind has my A item

• Aevin likes this

#57 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Try looking at the colors you can find elsewhere in the level. The solution is spoilered.

Maze Path

Clever :P

In that case, I'm now back on track.

Edit: Just beaten the quest and I gotta say, that was really interesting! It wasn't as great as the Hero's Memory as that still remains as my favourite quest, but I'm hoping to see some really cool stuff for HM2 in the future :P

Edited by EddyTheOliveira, 11 September 2014 - 12:04 PM.

• Aevin likes this

#58 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:30 AM

Been playing more and got to Archeron. Easily my least favorite area in the quest by a large margin. The maze gimmick was fine for single screens, but the 3x3 maze is incredibly tedious to navigate in this state because at least half the screen is always hidden from you for multiple screens.

Other than that, I say this quest has been a very enjoyable experience so far because it pulls off the Metroidvania feeling quite well, well designed for the most part and is not afraid to try new things. However, the feeling is not quite complete - there are quite a few hicupps that can't easily be worked around given the current state of the quest (see my criticisms in my above post) that prevent it from truly feeling like a Metroidvania. So far the quest gets a 4/5 for me because of my aforementioned criticisms, including the 3x3 maze in Archeron. If there was to be a sequel or spiritual successor, the majority of these issues could be worked around with proper planning.

Edited by Orithan, 16 September 2014 - 06:37 AM.

• Eddy and Avaro like this

#59 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

Yeah ...  I can see Acheron is going to be the "unmarked bombable walls" complaint of this quest. XD  I actually nerfed it quite a bit from its original form, believe it or not.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the quest.

#60 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Yeah ...  I can see Acheron is going to be the "unmarked bombable walls" complaint of this quest. XD  I actually nerfed it quite a bit from its original form, believe it or not.

You mean it used to be worse!? I don't even want to imagine how that looks like...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users