The Hero's Memory

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#46 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

I love the design and story so far. I got myself killed several times exploring and then went into dungeons. Great job!

There is only one snag I've hit. I made it into Jabu Jabu and got to a point with dodongos, only to realize I had no bombs. This turned into 10 minutes of slashing at bushes (inside a fish?) to get 4 bombs. It was kind of tedious, so try to consider adding an enemy or two that could drop clusters of 4 bombs next time you throw in a dodongo room. Otherwise, it's not really more difficult, just less immersive.

#47 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

HylianGlacion: Thanks so much for playing! The "bait" item occupies the same place as the magic key you received from Lv9. (In fact, the fish is a key and not a bait at all.) If there's a gap in your usable items and you have all three spells, my guess is you're missing another item located underwater ... (See spoiler for details).

As for the Gibdo thing ... Bombs will still harm them when you've been caught. I don't do it often, but the gibdos ARE supposed to do that. Your options are meant to be limited, but I should have considered not everyone would have bombs. I'll probably take your advice about the hammer. I toned it down significantly from the default because it just seemed way too strong.

Moosh: The later levels are meant to mimic the dungeon cracking of the original Zelda. However, enough people seem frustrated with it that I'm rethinking it. I may keep a few cases, but a lot of the more opaque walk-through and bomb spots will have additional clues pointing to them. I'm also going to come up with some more puzzles to engage the player more, rather than just getting them lost.

peteandwally: Sorry for the trouble there. I might make Dodongos drop bombs 100% naturally, because it seems to be a recurring problem.

Thanks for your time, everyone, and I want you to know I'm taking all your suggestions into account for future versions. icon_smile.gif

Spoiler

Edited by Aevin, 13 March 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#48 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Aevin @ Mar 13 2013, 12:45 PM) View Post

Moosh: The later levels are meant to mimic the dungeon cracking of the original Zelda. However, enough people seem frustrated with it that I'm rethinking it. I may keep a few cases, but a lot of the more opaque walk-through and bomb spots will have additional clues pointing to them. I'm also going to come up with some more puzzles to engage the player more, rather than just getting them lost.

This isn't what I have a problem with. It's mainly the execution. The more confusing you make your levels the more you need to accommodate for the player's confusion. A good way to counterbalance the Zelda 1 bombable wall issue is to give out the map fairly early in the level or maybe even give the player spacebar map access. Look at Level 7 for example; you gave out the map at the very end of the dungeon when it's completely useless to the player. Why not move it to one of the early rooms in the dungeon?

#49 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, you're right ... The map placement there wasn't well thought out. Hmm ... It's almost as if game design is HARD! Thanks again.

#50 bf2mongo

bf2mongo

• Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I was looking for level 7 and I think I just did level 8 instead. Is that the one located on top of the mountain? I got the magic bow thing and the fire boomerang. If this is level 8 can you tell me where 7 is....

#51 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

It's in the desert. You can get in there easily with the hookshot, but finding the level itself is a little more difficult. If you need help once you've explored the desert, check the spoiler.

Spoiler

#52 bf2mongo

bf2mongo

• Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I found all the direction disks already.. but where is the maze? The only thing I see is the graveyard to the north.

#53 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

There's a cave in the upper left of the graveyard.

#54 Love For Fire

Love For Fire

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

In the trial of power, the next to last room looks like its set up to have a Gleeok type boss but it is empty.

#55 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for letting me know.

It's very odd, though, because it shows up in ZQuest and it's never been absent on any of my test runs. Hmmm ... Has anyone else experienced this?

On an unrelated note, here's a mini-guide I've put together for the optional items in the quest. I love hearing from you guys, so don't think you can't ask questions here. Obviously, the guide contains many spoilers:
Spoiler

Edited by Aevin, 15 March 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#56 Spelunker

Spelunker

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Looking for the flippers. I've bombed, whistled and burned just about everywhere in the Coastal area.

#57 Artistic

Artistic

Warrior

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Spelunker @ Mar 16 2013, 11:27 AM) View Post

Looking for the flippers. I've bombed, whistled and burned just about everywhere in the Coastal area.

Flippers are in level 4.

#58 Spelunker

Spelunker

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Artistic @ Mar 16 2013, 01:56 PM) View Post

Flippers are in level 4.

Ok, where is level 4? icon_cool.gif

#59 Lukaz

Lukaz

Master

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

level 4 is 2 screens east from start

#60 peachstar

peachstar

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

I have the flippers and am looking for lvl 6. I read that it is in the water in the south east, but I cannot find it .... help please, I've been looking for a couple days now ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users