Passage Through Time

Photo

Let the Dungeons(and Sidequests) Commence!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#16 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

The difference between having no idea what I wanted to do for Turtle Rock and finally finishing it up boiled down to deciding what the dungeon's primary gimmick was going to be. In this case, the answer turned out to be mine carts.

Thanks to a little scripting help, these now work effectively and will be a consistently used form of transport between various areas of the dungeon.

Here's a screenshot.

S8A1VUh.png

When not in use, each cart will rest at whatever point you're supposed to get on it. Although you can walk over the tracks, access to other areas is blocked off at critical places.

This means that only one dungeon remains, albeit one with 5 floors. Since the first four intertwine, I know that my brain is going to hurt by the time I get done creating it.

I'll update this again either when I finish that dungeon, or each floor. It depends on how long it takes for me to finish them.

• Avaro likes this

#17 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

I know I didn't like your past quests, but wow. This is pretty great!

• ywkls likes this

#18 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

I know I didn't like your past quests, but wow. This is pretty great!

Did you try Balance of Nature? It was my first new quest in a long time, featured a lot of scripted elements and 19 dungeons, plentiful heart pieces, a collectible sidequest and a trading game sidequest. I used the Pure Tileset for it because I didn't realize that the Dance of Remembrace (Hybrid) was available. This game is a direct sequel to that. While playing the first isn't necessary to understand what's going on here; the two are part of a larger, ongoing storyline.

#19 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Oh yeah, I was one of your beta testers for it :P

I liked it, but some of the ghosted bosses were really glitchy.

Edited by Dimentio, 26 June 2015 - 07:11 PM.

• ywkls likes this

#20 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

That's right... you were Arceus then... as for the bosses, that's the problem when you haven't yet learned how to script your own enemies. If you examine some of my recent script submissions, you'll get an idea of how I've progressed in refining that skill.

I still have more enemies to script than the ones I've submitted, but I'm too busy finishing this up to work on that at the moment.

Edited by ywkls, 27 June 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#21 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

To say that the monstrosity that is the four floors of the Temple of Time at different times of the day is complicated is like saying that the sky is blue. It is patently self-evident and does nothing to make clearer the exact nature of what awaits you within.

To summarize, a recurring theme in this dungeon will be doors and barriers that need to be lowered to progress. If you are paying attention as you go through the place, you'll note puzzles and switches that don't seem to do anything. This is because they are tied to one of these other things. Additionally, each dungeon now has a new main item. For dawn, it is the Titan's Mitt. For day, it is the Fire Boomerang. For evening, it is the Golden Arrow. For night, it is the Purple Tunic.

Here are some screenshots.

rFkYj1Y.png

This is the entrance to the dawn segment featured in Screenshot of the Week 506 and also the one you'll be required to visit first. You will have to go to all three other entrances, just for different purposes. For example, at day there is a warp that is blocked until much later. At twilight, the boss door is nearby and can be accessed after you solve a puzzle. At night, you must hit a switch to get a key much later.

Here's another one.

jwkjzd7.png

This is from elsewhere at dawn and shows how you must warp within the dungeon to its different forms just like you must traverse the times of day in the world. As you might guess, this can get a tad confusing.

One more screenshot.

kB9r7wv.png

That's right... you must warp in behind that barrier to get the chest at one point and get to the warp spot at another. Not to mention whatever is waiting for you down those corridors.

This dungeon will feature a return of every boss so far in the game. And speaking of which, here's a list of the bosses I have in mind so far. Only a few of these are subject to change and I'll note them as I go along. Unless otherwise stated, all these are scripts of my design.

1. Reptilian Redoubt- Undecided, but probably Dimentio's Aquamentus DX.

2. Gerudo Stronghold- Big gohma.

3. Hollow Stump- Big Moldorm.

4. Forgotton Tomb- LA Nightmare Final Form.

5. Daylit Crevasse- Moldarach.

6. Windswept Jail- Blind the Thief.

7. Isolated Isle- Diving Lanmola, by Moosh.

8. Abandoned Villa- Helmasaur King, by Moosh.

9. Noxious Marsh- Vitreous.

10. Floating Labyrinth- Iron Knuckle, maybe. I'm thinking of demoting him to the mini-boss and creating a new last boss if I get a better idea.

11. Eerie Catacomb- Bongo Bongo.

12. Volcanic Fissure- Fyrus.

13. Turtle Rock- Agahnim.

14. Snowfall Resort- Blzzeta.

15. True Temple of Time- Vaati.

And this means that I only have the final floor of my final dungeon to do before I begin the next phase of this project. So you can expect one more update on this topic regarding that once it is done, then I'll start another one.

#22 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

The final floor of the final dungeon of my game is finally done! And you know what that means? It is time for the finale! (Okay, enough repetitive alliteration.) Here's a screenshot.

oBbIV8d.png

With the completion of this task, it is time to move onto the next stage of the development of this project. Here's what I have left to do, in my order of priority.

1. Caves and Houses- Having tunnels that connect the various parts of Hyrule would help, especially since you need them to finish all of the dungeons. I might as well do the houses at the same time.

2. Layers- This is the boring bit. Going over every screen in every dungeon and part of the overworld and making sure that all of these effects look correct. A pain and a half.

3. Sidequests- Setting these up will be easier once my caves and houses are done and I usually spend a greater amount of thought on them than layers, so I save them for later.

4. Enemy Scripts, Graphics- All scripts and graphics that have yet to be written will be finished and added to the game. I'm going for 100% of all primary bosses being scripted enemies.

5. Script Placement- For my puzzles and other areas that require the use of scripts, but I haven't yet created the ffc to run them. This will work alongside the next step.

6. Dialogue- Most of what my characters say hasn't been written yet. Setting up item messages, cutscenes and stuff won't be possible until it is.

7. Enemy Placement- The step I always save for close to the end, because I dread the chose that it can be. Don't expect a lot of originality here.

8. Multiple Endings- This is actually part of script placement and dialogue, but won't be possible to finalize until everything else is done. So it's last.

Once I have made some progress on this, I'll start a new topic that covers the last stage of the development of this game.

Edited by ywkls, 05 July 2015 - 06:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users