Hitodama Help and Discussion

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

It used to be almost completely blue without the black bricks outlining the basic paths. Moosh was the only one unfortunate enough to experience that hellhole. Then I went too far in the other direction, making the paths totally visible, outlined by the black bricks, and there was no challenge at all. This is supposed to be somewhere in the middle, but most people still don't seem to like it. Getting the balance right there is tough ...

Anyway, I submitted a tiny update to fix a rare game-breaking bug. I doubt it will pop up often, but if anyone gets warped to a boss fight where you're not supposed to be, let me know and I'll give you cheats and help you get back on track.

• HavoX likes this

#62 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:45 PM

After hearing numerous complaints from players and seeing the frustration from LP'ers, I've submitted an update that makes the Acheron maze easier to navigate. There should now be a pretty straightforward path to the exit highlighted with darker bricks. Players will still have to explore to find the keys and coins, but I think it will feel more like branching out in short bursts from the main path, rather than wandering lost throughout the entire area. Since the exit path is relatively clear, I think this will also make players feel less punished for dying and continuing inside the maze, since they can quickly make their way back out without having to work to rediscover the exit path.

Here's an updated map. Hopefully, the path from the center to the icy area on the right is fairly clear. I think it's even more obvious when you're actually running around in the maze.

Spoiler

• Avaro likes this

#63 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

Put arrows in the blocks in the next update.

sarcasm off*

But seriously, I think people simply don't bother in look how the maze works... and simply they shot at every block hopelessly. Buuuuuh, trust more in your decisions, you can't expect that all people understand it, but that's how life worlds. A bit of "frustration" doesn't have to be a bad thing in a game.

#64 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

It's a tricky call, but given the sheer number of people who seem close to having the entire experience ruined because of it, I thought it was appropriate to do something. I think this strikes a good balance in keeping the challenge in while not frustrating people so much they end up hating it.

#65 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

It's a tricky call, but given the sheer number of people who seem close to having the entire experience ruined because of it, I thought it was appropriate to do something. I think this strikes a good balance in keeping the challenge in while not frustrating people so much they end up hating it.

Exaggerating a bit, no? xD It just nine screens in the game. It's not a 3 hours dungeon or something like that. The fun part is to take some risks in design and have something unique. 

#66 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

All I can say is I believe I made the best decision to make the best game I can. *shrug*

#67 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

I understand you, really, you put a lot of hours in this and you want to have the highest possible rate of public. But at the same time it's like betraying your own ideas. That new obvious path in the screen feels totally artificial, it's too convenient... and if they hate the maze, probably people will feel still frustrated with the rest of paths...   :shrug:

Edited by Air Luigi, 08 October 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#68 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

I got around to trying this yesterday. I'm around 20 minutes in. Well... I didn't expect this. I'm actually kinda mixed about this game. It's well designed, but isn't my cup of tea. It's very cryptic, and I see that was the intention from screen one. It's what makes me feel uneasy though. I have to scan the room twice, if not three times, in order to move on to the next room. I scan rooms I have already scanned too, just to make even more sure there's nothing else to it. I have managed to progress so little because of it unfortunately, and it takes my mind off all the other unique things you've done with this quest such as the tileset, enemies and other amazing things. And yes, once I did put some thought into the other aspects of the quest, I began to like the graphical design quite a lot, it gives this quest its own flair for sure. From what I've seen, the new enemies and items should be a blast too, but more on that will come later. ;)

I'm going to give this quest a benefit of the doubt, I will finish it, don't worry! At the moment, it's sitting on a 3.5/5, which rounds up to a 4/5. And Aevin, it never hurts taking advice from other people, it only allows more people to enjoy your game. :)

Edited by Shane, 08 October 2014 - 10:27 PM.

• Aevin likes this

#69 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:04 PM

And this is what I was referring... some people isn't used to this type of game and they feel out of place X) There is no sword, no overworld, no dungeons.... blocks everywhere. 95% of secrets have visual clues, but the usual tactics of other quests don't work here, it's a total new experience, and that's what made the quest great.

Something similar happened with Eiyuu also, some people simply don't know how to play it, or about what the quest is. It's not the fault of the questmaker. 2.5 brings new possibilities, and this will be a trend in the future. The more variety of quests styles, the best for all.

Edited by Air Luigi, 08 October 2014 - 11:06 PM.

#70 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for giving this a try, Shane. I do hope it'll grow on you a little more as you progress, but at the very least I hope you enjoy your playthrough. I'm really interested to hear your thoughts. :)

• Shane likes this

#71 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

I've found the game relatively easy so far, but I'm having a terrible time with the boss fight towards the end where you have to fight both the guys at once (the 2nd two guys). There's just so much happening on the screen and it's all so fast that by the time I kill one I don't have enough life left to take out the other.  I've been really close once.  Any hint or trick?  Best spell(s) to use?  I've probably attempted this fight 10-15 times and I'm getting pretty frustrated.    

#72 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, those two can be quite the challenge ...  Edit: Oops, I thought you meant for the first dual boss because I can't read. Sorry about that. Please take a look at Orithan's post below. If anyone needs a strategy for the first dual boss, here it is.

Guide

#73 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

I think he is talking about the second dual boss, not the first dual boss like the one you have posted the guide for. In that case, here is my strategy:

Strategy

Edited by Orithan, 30 January 2017 - 01:24 AM.

• Aevin likes this

#74 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

Oh, oops!  He totally said "the 2nd two guys." Thanks for catching that, Orithan.

SofaKing: Orithan's strategy is pretty much spot on. I like to use the Earth spell as he suggested. She seems especially vulnerable when standing on the right side. To dodge their dual attack when they're on the left and right, stand closer to one side. There's a certain rhythm you get in that will enable you to dodge all of the attacks, as long as you're not close to the middle. It's tricky to get down, but once you see how it works it's not so hard to do. For their top/bottom attack, there's a safe spot to the right of Loire at the bottom of the screen. If you have the magic to support it, you can take her out especially fast with the Ice Magic, too.

#75 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

I just submitted a major update to the quest! Here's some details on the changes I've made for anyone who's interested. If you haven't beaten the quest yet, there are spoilers here.

Update

If anyone gives the updated version a shot, I hope you have a good time! :)

• Air Luigi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users