Photo

HowHigh.qst -- 7/2014 update

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#301 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

the quest and the first post in this thread have been overhauled.

Edited by trudatman, 24 July 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#302 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

I'm hoping somebody will record some video of the mid-2012 update or any of my games. you should do that.

Edited by trudatman, 17 June 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#303 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Sep 2 2011, 05:56 AM)  

I'm still hoping somebody will record some video of this thing or any of my games. you should do that.

You still want a video of your quest?

and btw hi to you its been a while we talked!

#304 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

it would be quite nice. this one could be hours of videos, but videos of any part of it or of the other demos I posted would be awesome. hi back at you and I hope all is going well in your part of the world.

#305 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Sep 3 2011, 09:56 PM)  

it would be quite nice. this one could be hours of videos, but videos of any part of it or of the other demos I posted would be awesome. hi back at you and I hope all is going well in your part of the world.

Yes its going well here in sweden ,and i finished my first quest and allredy working of 2 other quests.

#306 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

this just had its music added. I also fixed an error I made in the previous update and confirmed that this quest doesn't work quite right in 2.50(3). maybe I'll try to make it more forward compatible. alternately, if anybody wants to do a full conversion, I'd be down with that. anyway, HUGE THANKS GO TO WOLFO for the custom music!

http://trudatmangames.blogspot.com

Edited by trudatman, 22 July 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#307 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Jun 15 2012, 01:07 AM)  

this just had its music added. I also fixed an error I made in the previous update and confirmed that this quest doesn't work quite right in 2.50(3). maybe I'll try to make it more froward compatible. alternately, if anybody wants to do a full conversion, I'd be down with that. anyway, HUGE THANKS TO WOLFO for the custom music.

http://trudatmangames.blogspot.com

Trudatman , hi, are you back on the forum ?
I'm glad you are posting and working and nice to see you, icon_blink.gif
-

#308 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

thanks. it feels good to exist. I hope you are doing well, too.

#309 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

When you say it "doesn't work quite right", is it still playable enough for those of us Windows 7 users where older versions are not a great option? I'd give this another go sometime.

#310 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

not really. you would not be able to complete it using most 2.1s and 2.5s, but you would be able to do most of it. some of the stuff you can't access isn't important, but being unable to beat level eight (if what people have reported is correct -- I haven't gotten that far in my latest playthrough attempt) kind of kills the whole thing. pretty sure it is beatable in all 1.9s, but it really only works correctly in 1.90. if anybody wants to help me convert and upgrade the thing, I could use a partner in such an undertaking. a full decade later and I'm still not done with this silly old quest.... it isn't like it's that good.

edit: oh, and there is the secondary continue spot problem that leads to restarts after level two that I still intend to work on for improved forward compatibility. I am my best betatester, so I'm sure I will find other things to tweak so it approaches maximized universalness. everybody is always encouraged to report 2.5x compatibility issues, but let's forget about 2.1s for now. also, I fixed the link in the original post, as it was still pointing to megaupload -- oops.

Edited by trudatman, 23 July 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#311 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

now that the database page has been updated with the newest quest file, I'm hoping that some folks will try it -- in 1.90, as there are no guarantees as to how well this would work in other versions and the discrepancies may be infuriating -- with Wolfo's customized (written specifically for this quest!) tunes newly added and then be kind enough to write reviews of the quest at its database page. the database update was overdue, but I wanted to advance fairly far into a current playthrough to see that I didn't break any functionality. I'm still only about halfway, but it seems pretty good, so far. I like that even I can't charge right through the sucker. this is not a quest that can be beat in an hour -- well, maybe Vravelo could do it, by this point, he probably knows exactly what needs to be done and when. my biggest concerns for future updates are adjusting the doors and appear spots and having it be beatable in 2.50(3)+. thanks for reading this. holler if you have something to ask and/or something to add.

SPOILER WARNING:<br /><br />the video and text available by clicking to reveal below give away almost all of the content of the quest through the beginning of the second level. if you would like to keep all of the surprises fresh, don't watch Kurtis whoop upon the early bits of the game. to watch the video and preserve some of the fun reveals, stop watching at ten minutes in, right before the plot is introduced.<br /><br />

Edited by trudatman, 27 July 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#312 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

Here's the video you wanted of the quest. A simple recording of a typical blind attempt of the game. No editing or commentary was done, partly to help the game showcase itself, and partly because Movie Maker seems to hate me right now and is screwing up any videos I attempt to edit.

#313 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

did you enjoy playing it? did you play any further than the video shows? would you recommend it to other custom quest players? do you feel like you played far enough in to add a review to the quest's database page? thanks for your time, Kurt!

#314 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

so, how about Wolfo's MIDIs? would anybody care to comment on those? the music in this quest used to be pretty, uh... not good. I don't want to say it was bad, because it was somewhat appropriate for a standard quest, but it didn't fit with my quirky game. I think they were leftovers from Revenge 2 or whatever quest it was that I hacked to pieces in the early 2000s. I think these new songs are wonderful. how do you feel about them?

#315 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

so... it turns out that 1.92 players don't handle this quest correctly. folks have reported that you can beat the quest with 1.92, but I just watched video of the quest being played in 1.92 (b183, I think) and a bombable spot fails and gleeoks are harder than they should be. the bombing issue I can probably fix, but, in the meantime, I strongly recommend using 1.90 if at all popsicle. 1.92s are the only others in which the quest is beatable, but stuff just isn't right. I want to post the video demonstrating this, but the dude who recorded it is banned, so that is questionably allowable. how about a link... that's fair, right? skip to the last eleven minutes or so to see the extra difficult gleeok battle and the the last minute or two to see the house that won't blow up: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4qlIjIo2mLM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users