2012 -> End of the world?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

I noticed some users were posting ... things in the YouTube comments of that video. (Not to be Mr. Rent-a-mod here, but why take debate like that elsewhere when it should be in places intended for it, such as the debate forum? Meh.)

Anyway, I thought the video specifically mentioned the meteor would hit in the year 2880. At least none of us should/will be alive by then. icon_shrug.gif

#32 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

It's not rent-a-moding TMS. Merely a suggestion.

But I should hope that none of us are alive by then. Things like that are always being taken differently by all sorts of people. Be that as it may, if the end does truely come in 4 years, then death will only be the begining.

#33 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

Trying not to go offtopic, but I'm for reincarnation mixed with ghostly afterlife... If all people die, where will the ghosts incarnate? (I didn't want to open a new thread just for this question. Go on.)

Also, I don't believe humans are now high enough on the evolvement level to protect the planet from an asteroid. A barrage of atom bombs would do, but USA would be like "No no, we spare on atom bombs, we need to think about the future, too!".

Once I saw a documentary film on Discovery or such channel. It said that Earth gets into the middle line of the Milky way every so amount of years and while being there, surrounded with asteroids, there's no chance to evade some collisions. The film also stated that the time comes around 2010-2014.

But It's so so futile to argue on... It's just 4 years, so we can see it soon. icon_arrow.gif

#34 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Whatever happens in 2012 is what will happen. That is what I have to say. I don't know anything about Mayan prophecies.

#35 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(Puzidman @ Jan 1 2008, 07:52 AM) View Post

I don't think that the end of the world is 2012 because the Bible says it will be when we least expect it. It is unpredictable. The book of revelation does not refer to future physical events, but the rise and fall of the roman empire and shows the imagery of heaven and God's power. According to the Bible, the second coming could be whenever. Christ will not physically reign over the Earth. Revelation is not a book of prophecies, but of events that have already happened. I do not believe that there are "circles of Hell" either because our physical bodies will be gone. We cannot physically suffer, so we are separated from God instead. This is my belief and how I think of the Bible.

However I don't believe in God, I do think that (if it may happen) it would be on a time when we least expect it, indeed.
And I absolutely think that that 2012 theory is just some rubbish what any fool could make up.

#36 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:17 PM

Well, biblically, it will be at least another 1000 years until the world is "destroyed". So no, I don't believe it.

#37 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Pfft... if something happens in 2012, let it happen, can't stop it anyway. I highly doubt anything catastrophic will happen.

Edited by Naldrag, 02 January 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#38 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

So in year 2011, some random boy in New York gets chosen to be the hero of the world.

He does stuff and the world is saved.

Something like that should happen.

But I don't believe this 2012 bullpoop.

#39 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:43 PM

Some people Acctaly believe this stuff, I don't. It's stupid, they've been doing it for, like 12 years!

1995-First time It was announced (according to my sister, I was only 1 at that time.)
1999-"This time for sure It's almost the begining of the 2000, then we will all die! Ahhhh!" Pfft. Ya. Right.
2000-"Well now, It's the begining of the new *cant remember the word*, Oh No! We're all donna die!!!" Just shut up.
2012-What the heck? Now your just pullin' numbers outa the air. I mean, really!!!

As you can see, they just keep makin' up crap to give our willies the willies. If you hear this again, tell them what I told you. Don't worry, your live for at least a year after 2012 until Beta Link has trained under the watchful eye of...Jackie Chan?

Edited by Link R us, 03 January 2008 - 06:43 PM.

#40 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:38 AM

Previous armageddon foretellings were indeed false, but they were VISIBLY false, for example saying that the world ends just because OUR date systems arrives to another thousand? It was already visible that it won't happen. However, this 2012 thing wasn't made by dates or such. Series of independent foretellings "coincideeeeeeentally" point to the same date. First date in history that can mean the end of humans.

But who cares in fact? Not only it's very near the see for ourselves, as it's visible war and stupidity will eliminate humans in this century anyway.

#41 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jan 4 2008, 05:38 AM) View Post

Series of independent foretellings "coincideeeeeeentally" point to the same date. First date in history that can mean the end of humans.

Do you have sources for these foretellings?

#42 The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

Preposterous. lol simply Preposterous.

#43 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

The most ridiculous of the assumptions is that "Nibiru" is going to pass through the inner solar system and will cause earth's magnetic poles to shift, supposedly "ripping apart continents, causing tsunamis" etc.

This is idiotic. First of all, if there were an object the size of Nibiru (said to be the size of Jupiter or even a red dwarf) were on its way to the inner solar system to arrive by 2012, then it would be among the brightest objects in the night sky.

Second of all, the Earth's magnetic pole is constantly moving. It shifts every few million years, and it doesn't do any damage. The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the core of the Earth, which is liquid and flows naturally.

Sometimes people even say that Earth will stop rotating. Let me tell you that is IMPOSSIBLE. On this page, Phil Plait calculates that the kinetic energy in the Earth's core's rotation is equivalent to five trillion megatons, or 500 million times the explosive energy of every nuclear weapon on earth. That much energy would probably destroy the earth.

Edit: The Bad Astronomer also has a page on Planet X/Nibiru:
http://www.badastron...netx/index.html

Edited by Siguy, 28 January 2008 - 03:14 PM.

#44 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

You really wanna know something? The Mayan prediction was actually ... just "end of an era" (restating myself). You see, after doing background research, I found that the earth "wobbles" extremely slowly (like, over cycles of THOUSANDS of years) on its axis of (I think) 27.5 degrees.

So, you see, every approx. 1300 years the "wobble cycle" starts over. 2012 just happens to be one of those years. Don't expect a big "jolt." It happens over long periods of time. We won't be thrown off of the edge of the earth (even if there was an edge to the earth).

So, that clears that up. Google it, it's quite true, trust me. (I have a Physics I teacher backing me up here icon_wink.gif)

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 28 January 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#45 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Jan 28 2008, 09:12 PM) View Post

You really wanna know something? The Mayan prediction was actually ... just "end of an era" (restating myself). You see, after doing background research, I found that the earth "wobbles" extremely slowly (like, over cycles of THOUSANDS of years) on its axis of (I think) 27.5 degrees.

So, you see, every approx. 1300 years the "wobble cycle" starts over. 2012 just happens to be one of those years. Don't expect a big "jolt." It happens over long periods of time. We won't be thrown off of the edge of the earth (even if there was an edge to the earth).

So, that clears that up. Google it, it's quite true, trust me. (I have a Physics I teacher backing me up here icon_wink.gif)

According to Wikipedia, and a recent documentary on the Mayan prophecy, the Earth completes a wobble every 26,000 years or so. December 21, 2012 is the approximate date that the Earth will complete a wobble. Also around this time, the Sun will be aligned with the center of our galaxy. IIRC from the documentary, the Long Count calendar has prophecies for every (approx.) 40 year grouping. They're mostly vague, but some people believe that WW2, 9/11 etc. were predicted by the Mayans. Though I can't remember what it said about 2012 exactly iIn my defense, it was pretty long icon_razz.gif), it did have something to do with a new age, or the end of the current way of life.

For those interested, I would suggest looking into the Mayan Long Count calendar and the 13'th b'ak'tun, to get more "precise" info on the prophecy of 2012, rather than just searching for "Mayan" and "2012".

Edited by IaN, 28 January 2008 - 10:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users