2012 -> End of the world?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

I keep hearing from people that armageddon will occur in the year 2012. Apparently it's a very common belief. But for what reason, nobody seems to know for sure. What is everyone elses view on this?

As for me, I do not belief in this. If, however it is real, I think it would have to be some kind of nuclear war or something like that, like a WWIII.

...Funny coincidence though, 2012 happens to be the year I'm supposed to graduate from High School. icon_razz.gif

Anyway, discuss.

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

That's why! The world can't handle a adult Beta Link!
Now, peoplesaid this about 2000 too .-.

#3 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:02 AM

Wasn't a meteor supposed to collide with earth at this time?

Yep, I would say so.

Something about a meteor that's a great distance away from earth, with earth close by/in range of it.

#4 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

A few years back I remember talking to one of my father's buddies on the car ride home. I remember pointing out that the year 2012 is the year the world is supposed to end.

I also pointed out 2012 is when I turn 21.

Connection? Probably.

Paden, watch that video while listening to Final Fantasy 8's
"Love Grows" o_o

Edited by Nate, 31 December 2007 - 01:19 AM.

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

You have José Argüelles to thank for this. He popularized the interpretation of the Mayan calendar and mythology as saying the world would end on or around Decemer 21, 2012. That's the first day of the thirteenth b'ak'tun, supposedly the day that each of the previous worldss (regarded as failures by the gods) were destroyed.
The archaeological community generally disagrees with his conclusion, though. And, really, even if they did actually believe that, it's only marginally less arbitrary than the stuff about the year 2000 was.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:46 AM

Ah, the 2012 discussion. The belief that the world will end in 2012 dates back to the Ancient Mayans. Me, I don't believe it. But then again, there es nothing to say it won't end then.

#7 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:22 AM

Nah, don't believe it at all.

But, if something happens, it happens. No stopping it.

#8 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:45 AM

If you apply an end of the world prophecy to every single upcoming year, you will eventually get it right. I prophecise that the world will end in 2999 because I like that number.

#9 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:27 AM

Nostradomus's prediction's end sometime in the 3000 range, and the Nostradomus enthusiasts believe thats when the world is gonna end. Truthfully, I wish the world WOULD end. It would shut up the doomsayers.

Or would we all be in heaven and those doomsayers will be with us saying Heaven's Existence would end? Providing you believe in that.

Edited by Master_of_Power, 31 December 2007 - 06:29 AM.

#10 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:12 AM

From all the reading I've done on the Mayan stuff, it is actually stated that that date is the end of a cycle and the beginning of another. The end of the world is what is taken from "The end of the world as we know it". Meaning the ending of a way of existence.
2012 is supposed to be the year of new enlightenment. Where mankind will enter into a new plane of existence.
It is also believed that this is the year that polarity is going to shift on the planet.

So, yeah. I've read a lot on it. Do I believe it?
Yes, I believe the Mayans.

#11 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:45 AM

I have always tried to not worry about it. The natural order probably doesn't want us in on it, anyways.

But I agree with Al Gore and co. here. We should have big land problems within a few centuries, and all countries in the world will start fighting over what's left. Unless our space programs are able to find or create another habitable planet, this is where we die.

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Hearing these myths IMO are meant to scare people. Remember 6/6/06?

#13 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

I can't say I've read enough to comment... but I will anyway icon_razz.gif

#14 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

No, this was a Mayan prediction from a long time ago, their last prediction was that it would be the end of an era (note that I said ERA, not world) on December 21, 2012. Funny thing is, on the Winter Solstice of 2012, the earth will finish a "wobble cycle" (the earth is wobbling extremely slowly, like on million-year rates, on its orbit around the sun).

So really, it's just the end of an era. I've already researched this. So, no, I HIGHLY doubt there will be anything bad going on. I have a feeling there will be mass panic of the paranoid, though.

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Dec 31 2007, 06:27 AM) View Post

Truthfully, I wish the world WOULD end. It would shut up the doomsayers.

lol, man.

Anyways, I don't believe in the predictions of world's end, unless you mean it's North American release date of December 4th, 2007. That is, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.

Now, anyways, yeah, if there's supposedly a comet/meteor about to collide with us, then they should do something. They know it's coming, so stop it. icon_shrug.gif

My Christian beliefs also reinforce my opinion of this "End of the world" prediction to be crap, but I'd appreciate it if you left this statement at that. Besides, you probably agree with me that it's crap, no matter what your beliefs are. icon_blah.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users