For the 20th Anniversary of ZC, we're hosting a new official quest contest:
Contest Discord Server
- Use the Z1 Overworld as a base, then modify it as you see fit: Be creative, but preserve enough of it so that a new user who has played Z1 will recognise where they are. Expansion and new areas as permitted.
- You must use ZC 2.53.0, Release 3 to create the quest, and verify that it plays properly in that version of ZC Player. Here is a preliminary package of 2.53.0 Release 3, to get you started.
- Dungeons (nine minimum) may be of any design, including free-form and 'overworld' styles.
- You may choose to use something other than the Triforce as dungeon items.
- You must use the Classic tileset, however, you are permitted to expand it, to add palettes, and to use tiles with more than four colours.
- You can (and should) use new enemies,items and bosses (provided in Classic.zh, or by the self-provided, or from another source. The final output must be able to go into Classic.zh or a public script set--no 'private' scripts are allowed.
- You can use any scripts, as long as they are public and reasonably comprehensible. Final scripts for the winner(s) will be distributed with 2.53, and future versions as part of the Classic Module, both as ZScript and as ZASM (for legacy preservation, in future releases).
- You can improvise story and use any ZC feature that you wish, including mouse controls.
- Teams and collaboration are permitted (and frankly, encouraged).
- Music should be MIDI, or Chiptune (e.g., .nsf, .smc), not MP3 or OGG.
- You may create new assets, or use assets from a database. If using assets other than your own, please submit credits for those assets in the form of a text file.
- You may use 8-way movement or 4-way movement; and normal or large Link hitboxes.
- You may use large (32x32) Link tiles and any animation style.
- You do not need to use all Z1 items/weapons. Feel free to mix things up, and to invent items or use items from other Zelda titles.
- You my use combos that occupy more than one tile (e.g. large trees, large rocks).
- You may start immediately. (There is no specific date and time before which you may not begin working on this.)
This isn't intended to be a 'pure NES' quest, but rather, it's intended to be a modern, Classic tileset quest, based loosely on Z1, so Z1 overworld landmarks should exist to be familiar to new players.
Enemies from 3D games are also welcome. I'm planning on including a BotW Guardian as 2x2 tile.
The design cut-off is the end of December, with final package to be released in January.
We will select up to 5 new quests out of the results (to become the official 6th->10th quests.
Please let us know if you have anything to contribute to the assets or to the contest itself.
Note: While you are able to open and edit the 1st.qst file in 2.53.x, because its tile arrangement was designed for 1.92 we advise using Anthus' Classic 2.50 tileset for ripping maps. Its assets should be compatible with the 2.53 Classic tileset.
You may also want to view the sister thread for this contest, on AGN.
2.53r3 Package last updated on 23rd September, 2019 at 19:43GMT.