Level 2 Demo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

Here it is guys! A demo for the 2nd dungeon. This will showcase what you can expect from dungeons within the game. Of course if you could give any feed back it would be greatly appreciated.

Please remember that this is still a WIP and everything is subject to change. The "triforce" drop at the end has been disabled so killing the Boss wont end the demo.

Demo

Edited by cavthena, 14 December 2015 - 12:16 AM.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:38 AM

VizRKDm.png

The pit script strikes again. Don't hold directions when falling in pits or you're gonna have a bad time.

Anyways, I enjoyed this demo quite a bit and my only complaints fall into two areas:

• Framerate problems: Most of the time, the quest ran a little bit below 60fps and I was unable to uncap, but whenever the dragon enemies or fire shooters were onscreen, it got serious. It dipped to 40-20 fps. And then when I got to the boss (which appeared to be using placeholder graphics/a hitbox revealing script?) it dipped to closer to 8 during some of his behaviors at which point I quit out of frustration. It's a shame because it looked like a neat boss. I suspect the problem may have to do with reading invalid pointers or having too many weapon loops. Might as well cover all the usual suspects and see if you're giving/taking items every frame as well.
  • Bomb scarcity: This is less of a problem, but at some points in the dungeon you're expected to have bombs and you might not have bombs. The area around the first pool of water is an example where I think you can be trapped if you waste your bombs. I'd suggest having some scripted pots that frequently drop bombs near the beginning and in any areas where the player could get trapped.

#3 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:45 AM

Yikes, I was worried about the frames. It stays at 60 on my machine but I have a beast of a machine... I'll look into fixing that.

For the Demo I will drop in some continuous bomb drops although in reality you will have to leave and buy more.

Edit: Turns out that isValid() checks should be placed in their own if statement and when searching for weapons or npcs the loop should count down from the total on screen. Or problems happen  :doh:

At any rate the Dragons and Boss have had their allegro errors fixed. So it should no longer be a problem.

I also tuned down the frequency that fire particles are created in the Boss fight and on the flame throwers.

• Decreased the number created in the Boss fight.
  • Flame throwers now create 1 every 3 frames. Instead of 1 per frame. (Will tune further if lag problems persist, it problems still continue after further changes I will simply remove the effect)

I'm still working on the pit fall problem and will update the Demo once that has been fixed.

Edited by cavthena, 13 December 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#4 cavthena

cavthena

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:17 AM

Demo updated Dec 13/15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users