Some tips for running older versions of ZC on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Setzer

Setzer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

So, I do a bit of streaming, and had some issues running ZC 1.92 betas and 2.10, finally figured it out yesterday. I figured I'd make a post detailing how I get each version to run incase anyone else was curious.

Note 1 - I use JoyToKey to play ZC, I have a PS2->360 converter I use for a playstation 2 pad, and even when ZC decides to recognize buttons correctly, it's always forcing me to use analog, which I find bad.

Note 2 - Compatability mode is not required or used in any of these.

ZC 1.90

I use Dosbox 0.74 for this, and it's relatively painless, it's important to note that there is one game crashing bug that you need to work around.

It's probably easiest to navigate to the ZC190SR1 folder in the dosbox configuration file, then run the command CWSDPMI.EXE -x

That will allow you to pick up items, like the sword in the first cave, without the game crashing.

ZC 1.92b163

It's important to use -gdi, or at least it was for me, could be nvidia driver issues? I'm uncertain. Either way, that fixed a lot of issues for me, especially while trying to stream. the other arguments should be mostly self explanatory, a full list of ZC arguments can be found here

C:\ZC192B163\zelda-w.exe -windowed -gdi -res 528 504 big

Just pop that in the "Target" window of a shortcut, C:\ZC192B163 being replaced with wherever you have it installed.

ZC 1.92b183

I actually haven't tried this one yet, assuming it'll be similar to 163 or 210. I'll try to update when I get around to playing one of these quests.

ZC 2.10

This one gave me a good deal of issues, most of them fixed after I solved 163's issues. Similar Target command -

C:\ZC210\zelda-w.exe -windowed -gdi -res 528 504 big

I had to run JoyToKey as Admin for ZC to recognize it correctly, though. I still get artifacts around the borders, and some odd status screen drawing at times, but so far it seems to be working.

ZC 2.50

Aside from using JoyToKey, I don't think I had to jump through any hoops to get this one working.

• ShadowTiger and Rambly like this

#2 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

could anyone update their old quests into newer versions?

#3 Lejes

Lejes

Seeker of Runes

• Members

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

They can, and a number of people have. Quests made in older versions generally work in 2.5 anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users