Words

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

First books, now words. Is this a video game or an interactive novel?! Jeez.

Ahem. Regaining train of thought. (See what I did there? Neither do I)

I realized I had been making a terrible mistake with this game. Most of the text in the game sort of assumes that you aware of some major plot points that are never explained - only vaguely hinted at (and barely even that). Well, no more! I stuffed some more exposition into the game. But not too much.

What kind of exposition is this? Well, I'm gonna write more of those books like I promised (and still have not done), but this will help you learn more about who your character is. When interacting with other characters, there is only so much to learn from what is said. You can always tell so much more about a person from what goes unsaid.

What if... you could hear what goes unsaid? What would you learn? What would you think? What would you do? The answer to this will shape our hero's experience throughout his journey...

Posted Image
  • Demonlink and SyrianBallaS like this

#2 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

So, the hero's mildly telepathic and can read the surface thoughts of those around him?

#3 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

I realized I had been making a terrible mistake with this game.

Yeah, you put a guy in a grey robe with no identity whatsoever named Nobody *runs*

*Cough* *Cough* Anyway, this is an interesting concept and a bonus for those curious about the story. But a question surges in my mind; will this information be available in the library? If so, will these still be available in Act II?

Also:

Thoughts.png

Nobody will consume our mind, Nobody is the reflection of our miserable lives and the horrors of our darkest demons. So no, he won't go away dude :P

#4 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

That's the best idea you've ever come up with.

Makes the game linear and nonlinear at the same time, which is good design btw.

immersion.

One thing to add, what if you don't go away? Bar fight? Thrown in a dungeon? Hunted down by the army? countless possibilities.

I don't expect it to be as complex as it sounds, but it's good to consider that.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 01 June 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#5 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

So, the hero's mildly telepathic and can read the surface thoughts of those around him?

Mainly emotions. Even when he doesn't want to. Which reminds me that there's more I have to explore in that direction.

Yeah, you put a guy in a grey robe with no identity whatsoever named Nobody *runs*

*Cough* *Cough* Anyway, this is an interesting concept and a bonus for those curious about the story. But a question surges in my mind; will this information be available in the library? If so, will these still be available in Act II?

Also:

Nobody will consume our mind, Nobody is the reflection of our miserable lives and the horrors of our darkest demons. So no, he won't go away dude :P

Don't bother looking behind your back at all times. You're unlikely to be stabbed.

I have one book planned that will discuss this concept and tell you why it is.

I'm thinking that either a 2nd library or a codex will likely be used to let you read your books in Act II. As for getting the Act I books after it ends, who can say?

Inner demons? Fascinating.

That's the best idea you've ever come up with.

Makes the game linear and nonlinear at the same time, which is good design btw.

immersion.

One thing to add, what if you don't go away? Bar fight? Thrown in a dungeon? Hunted down by the army? countless possibilities.

I don't expect it to be as complex as it sounds, but it's good to consider that.

Yes, one big feature of the "thoughts" concept was having some observations (internal monologue) that could come up at multiple points, but only once. No more guessing what order players will fight those certain bosses!

Nothing happens if you hang around there. Just some death glares.

#6 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

Mainly emotions. Even when he doesn't want to. Which reminds me that there's more I have to explore in that direction.

Oh, so an empath, like Troi, from Star Trek? Pretty cool, it'll be interesting to see what you do with it.

#7 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:09 AM

Yeah, I'm sure I can make that a plot point in a natural, believable way. I can totally write that. I am good at authory stuff. Just watch me.

#8 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

Yes, one big feature of the "thoughts" concept was having some observations (internal monologue) that could come up at multiple points, but only once. No more guessing what order players will fight those certain bosses!

Nothing happens if you hang around there. Just some death glares.

Yes and if the player thinks its too "easy" he can decide for himself. I know in Zelda3 you can go to level 6 right after beating level 1 in the dark world. Similar concept, but isn't relative to hand holding in my opinion. Who needs telepathic tiles if you can do "telepathy" yourself?

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 02 June 2015 - 02:33 PM.

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

[Mind controlling powers? Pft, they're not real and that impressive. I'm going to rate this a -500/5 for using fake superpowers.]

Actually that's a really creative take on NPC interaction. It could end up being a really cool feature, I'm curious of how you will make full use of it.

#10 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

Mind reading =/= mind control. That takes years of practice in telepathy and psychological manipulation. Muahaha-ahem.

Anyway, I have more plans for this. Both Nobody's internal monologue and the thoughts of others will change drastically after a certain event that anyone who's finished the demo will know about.

I'd tell more but I don't exactly have everything planned out yet.
  • Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users