• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Has it really been 2 1/2 months since the last update? Wow...

But anyways, the reason why I have not been working on this is because of tileset issues. I am really bad with making simple tilesets look good, as much as I try. Also, using GBC graphics just makes this seem either like a ripoff of Isle of Rebirth, or something that wants to jump on the GBC bandwagon.

So I decided to attempt this thing anew, seeing how I am not *that* far into it.

What I mean is, I will be switching to the DoR Hybrid tileset. I always thought I made better work when using the original DoR, and I am pretty sure I did. The whole quest will be getting an overhaul, and I will be releasing a public demo of the first dungeon. I will be keeping the first miniboss (Zora), as I don't want my request for it to have been useless (Even though I can script now).

So, that should hopefully revive this project. Thank you all for your support.
  • Demonlink and EpY like this

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Can I put in a strong recommendation for Classic (or maybe Instrumentality)? It's easier to customize, harder to screw up, and you can still make beautiful stuff in it if you know what you're doing. No offense, but given your project screenshots I don't think a DoR based tileset is the right choice. DoR has a lot of extra design rules and restrictions that come with it, in particular relating to the mountains. It can make some truly beautiful screens, but it has a very high skill requirement to make anything look acceptable. Even the best DoR screen designers out there still have room to improve. It may sound like a liberating tileset for the creative mind, but it's actually not at all in my opinion.

• TheLegend_njf likes this

#3 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 08 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

DoR screens take 200% longer to put together due to extra layers and all the detail work as well.

#4 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Yea, I just realized how much of a bad idea it is to use hybrid. However, I won't use GB, and I already am making a classic quest. Any other tilesets you might recommend? I just don't like how much Hybrid changed from DoR.

#5 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

Pure Remembrance or PTUX are the next best tilesets out there besides DoR and GB. :) I'd recommend Firebird as well, but given it's not complete yet...

• Moosh likes this

#6 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:26 PM

If you're using a tileset because a quest you like uses it or it's because of this "bandwagon" you envision, then you're likely destined to fail. I use EZGBZ (specifically EZGBZ 2.50) for neither reason. I use it because it's my favorite tileset. I love the visuals, and I get nostalgia seeing them. It's easy to make palettes and tiles, easy to make very good looking screens and every tile is at the right scale for me. I hope people don't exactly see me using EZGBZ because I wanted to jump this "bandwagon" or because I want to "ripoff" another quest (and besides, I don't exactly like the use of EZGBZ Isle of Rebirth presented, but that's another story)... If anything, people should be "ripping off" the official Nintendo Zelda games, but I digress.

So, like I said right from the beginning. Only choose a tileset that you like genuinely.
  • Eddy and Jared like this

#7 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

Arceus. 

For people who are new to Zelda Classic, I find the classic or ezgbz to be perfect choices.

Also, IoR existing doesn't suddenly mean that the EZGBZ tileset is history. I don't understand how just using the EZGBZ tileset instantly communicates "jumping on the IoR bandwagon".

I think you're probably just dwelling on simple unimportant things. :P

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 08 January 2015 - 11:47 PM.

• Shane and Eddy like this

#8 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

Well, I have decided I will attempt the original DoR first. Despite what people say, It is well organised, and it can be pretty easy if you take an hour or 2 to learn how to do it. My strategy is to build a rough outline of the screen, then randomly place small detail like flowers, then go with what I think would look good. Don't believe me? After this has been posted, I will add another screenshot, showing off the Dark Past, in the DoR tileset. If this does not go well, then I will go with pure. And if that fails, then I guess this quest will become stuck in development hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users