Hey, remember this thing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

Thought I'd make a quest project for it, mainly so everyone knows I haven't forgotten it. And maybe it'll encourage me to work on it more steadily.

The demo's the same level as before, but it's been updated. Main differences:
- Selectable difficulty level. Talk to the shopkeeper to change it.
- The game over screen is disabled. Press Ex1 to bring up the save menu.
- New item: the magic mirror. It will warp you back to the dungeon entrance, but it only works when no enemies are present.

There hasn't been a lot of forward progress on the quest, but there's been a lot of improvement to what's been done so far. Aside from adding difficulty levels, there's been a lot of work on screen design and palettes and a number of changes to the enemies and puzzles. Almost none of that is evident in the demo, though. I've been pretty happy with that level all along.

Aside from just sticking with it, the main thing I've had trouble with is music. I've been trying to avoid just grabbing MIDIs from VGMusic, but I can't find much else that works and doesn't have copyright issues. I'll probably end up going to VGMusic after all, but I'll at least avoid using anything too well known.

Anyway, might as well show off a couple of other things while I'm here.

In level 4, the most common enemies are balls of light.
l4-1.png
In some rooms, they're the only source of light, so the screen goes dark when they die.
l4-2.png
And in some rooms, when the lights go out...
l4-3.png
... so does the floor.
l4-4.png

Level 6 is the Spring Flower Temple.
l6-1.png
There are swarms of bees. Most weapons won't hit them. Fire, bombs... that's about it. Fortunately, they're not aggressive. They just float around randomly, completely ignoring Link.
However, there are also flowers that spit globs of nectar.
l6-2.png
Nectar attracts bees. On top of that, it stains your tunic green, and you know what that means...
  • Rambly, nicklegends, The Satellite and 8 others like this

#2 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Good to see this is alive an well. How come it has eight objects though, shouldn't it be fourty-two.

/me runs.

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Great stuff! This seems like it'll be a really good quest with amazing dungeons. Gonna play the demo.

#4 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

In one of the internal rooms there's a key but I have to go to the other side and open a closed door. I'm a little confused because even though I kill all the enemies and use that water rod to turn off the torches, the door doesn't open.

Other than that it is really good, it seems like some enemies have different defenses on difficulty, like the slug can be hit with a boomerang on normal but not on very hard.

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

There's another place you can use the water rod. Look there first.

#6 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

There are swarms of bees. Most weapons won't hit them. Fire, bombs... that's about it. Fortunately, they're not aggressive. They just float around randomly, completely ignoring Link.

However, there are also flowers that spit globs of nectar.
l6-2.png
Nectar attracts bees. On top of that, it stains your tunic green, and you know what that means...

tumblr_inline_n33brkCjtz1qd5koj.jpg

But yeah, this project has amazing potential. I'm eagerly awaiting future updates.

• Magi_Hero likes this

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

I was wondering, with your scripted chests, how did you make them show being opened during entering the screen? I have my own scripted chest script but I can't show the chests being open during screen scrolling.

I'm still in Level 2. The dungeon is really nice! I like the enemies and the ideas, it all feels professional.

Edited by Avataro, 09 January 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#8 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Just use the "Run Script at Screen Init" flag. The first frame of the script runs before the screen starts scrolling.
  • Avaro and David like this

#9 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

I gotta say, this looks very promising! I like the new concepts and ideas put into this, and I wish you the best of luck on further progress on this quest. Very cool stuff :D

#10 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

That means horrible death by swarm of bees that, in addition to having homing factor raised to 255, also deal 2 hearts in damage per hit. And the lowered defense effect won`t disappear with changing screens, if you used status.zh library (it`s even recorded in player`s save file). I am hoping, it won`t be used in conjunction with powerful late-game enemies, like cracktorocks or mirror wizzrobes.

Edited by Alucard648, 13 June 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 13 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

That means horrible death by swarm of bees that, in addition to having homing factor raised to 255, also deal 2 hearts in damage per hit. And the lowered defense effect won`t disappear with changing screens, if you used status.zh library (it`s even recorded in player`s save file). I am hoping, it won`t be used in conjunction with powerful late-game enemies, like cracktorocks or mirror wizzrobes.

All hail Alucard, the necromancer who brought back a 6 month old update thread! Praise be!

• Alucard648 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users