35 replies to this topic

#16 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:07 AM

That and also that the rooms are completely square. Like this:

zelda035.png

That room isn't square 0_o And I don't know how to make dungeons like that, the tile set is too confusing to use

• Avaro likes this

#17 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Oh I meant to say "That and also that the rooms aren't completely square. Like this"

Yeah, I didn't use the combos in the order they have it in. I used something called "Dungeon Mode" to do it. It's extremely hard to set it up though.

• Avaro likes this

#18 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Oh I meant to say "That and also that the rooms aren't completely square. Like this"

Yeah, I didn't use the combos in the order they have it in. I used something called "Dungeon Mode" to do it. It's extremely hard to set it up though.

Is there a tutorial you can link me to? I can't seem to find it.

#19 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

If you don't want to set it up yourself, you could use the loose tile linked below. A warning though, it is quite outdated and is probably not the best thing to do.

http://www.purezc.ne...e=tiles&id=1170

#20 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

If you don't want to set it up yourself, you could use the loose tile linked below. A warning though, it is quite outdated and is probably not the best thing to do.

http://www.purezc.ne...e=tiles&id=1170

I think instead I'm just going to rearrange the way the classic dungeon tiles are arranged so they're not confusing to me.

Edited by SirKazuma, 04 May 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#21 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Having a central puzzle gimmick? That's boring. The way to make a dungeon interesting is to make it hard. Hurt the player. Make trap rooms. Make the route a maze. Have puzzles that are complex, challenging everything the player's learned. Use multi-tiered secrets. Keep the player guessing what they're going to encounter. Then tie it all together with a theme. If you just do Fire Dungeon->Fire Stuff, your dungeon will be boring.

#22 David

David

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:48 PM

I agree with everything that anikom15 said other than making the dungeon hard. In my opinion, making a dungeon too difficult will only frustrate the player rather than make the dungeon any better.

• KingPridenia likes this

#23 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Having a central puzzle gimmick? That's boring. The way to make a dungeon interesting is to make it hard. Hurt the player. Make trap rooms. Make the route a maze. Have puzzles that are complex, challenging everything the player's learned. Use multi-tiered secrets. Keep the player guessing what they're going to encounter. Then tie it all together with a theme. If you just do Fire Dungeon->Fire Stuff, your dungeon will be boring.

Well, every dungeon can't be hard, though XD

I agree with everything that anikom15 said other than making the dungeon hard. In my opinion, making a dungeon too difficult will only frustrate the player rather than make the dungeon any better.

^ Basically what I thought.

• David likes this

#24 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

I second this (or third?). You have to balance it. Forcing the player to repeat 70% of the dungeon if they make a wrong turn that leads to a room where the only option is to take the passageway that boots you to the entrance is FAKE difficulty. That and throwing shutters in your face EVERY room is just tedious. It worked for the original LoZ in the 2nd quest, but it's dated and frankly it just makes the game more tedious and adds fake difficulty and length to it. Things where you have to find the right passageway and failure takes you to the start is a great way to get 2/5 or less on your quest.

#25 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

You know you can make a game hard without making it stupid.

There comes a point where you can expect the player to be competent and see traps coming, esp. if you introduce traps early on. Gygaxian dungeon design is good.

#26 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Why not have a central dungeon puzzle and smaller puzzles? Is that allowed? Or is that mentioned in ZC Rule #84.9?

#27 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:03 AM

Make the dungeon interactive. That's all, the difference between a boring dungeon and a fun dungeon is one that engages and interacts with the player.

Some do this through challenge, others do it through shock and awe, others do it with gimmicks, others do it with scripts, and some (god bless your souls) do it with design quality that's out of this world.

But whatever your approach, it all boils down to how well your dungeon interacts with the player.

#28 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:44 AM

Make the dungeon interactive. That's all, the difference between a boring dungeon and a fun dungeon is one that engages and interacts with the player.

Some do this through challenge, others do it through shock and awe, others do it with gimmicks, others do it with scripts, and some (god bless your souls) do it with design quality that's out of this world.

But whatever your approach, it all boils down to how well your dungeon interacts with the player.

Thanks! I'll have to really try to make each dungeon interactive, I wonder which of those methods I can do.. I'm not very good at scripts.. so hmm..

#29 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

There are many ways to make a dungeon interactive, what I just provided were a few examples, don't just limit yourself to those examples, think of other ways to engage players as well, that's what I cal "thinking outside of the box"

#30 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

There are many ways to make a dungeon interactive, what I just provided were a few examples, don't just limit yourself to those examples, think of other ways to engage players as well, that's what I cal "thinking outside of the box"

Hmm,. I guess I'll really have to think when I'm creating dungeons. Luckily, I learned how to make block puzzles yesterday. That may open up some more interesting dungeons for me, who knows?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users