Dropped "Darkness Within"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

This project until further noticed will now be called simply "Souls of Wisdom 2".

I was considering this for the longest time ever since I first learned about quest titled The Darkness Within by Russ. Until now, I was planning on just keeping it that way, thinking that there was no harm in two quests with similar names, and I'm pretty sure that it has happened before. But this quest is the quest where I have been going through a lot of changes as a quest designer, and a lot of those skills I learned from this quest is going into my other project in a more organized professional matter.

This quest unfortunately is still a mess, so I plan to reinvent this quest, starting with a name change. For now, I am not sure what I'll name this quest, it might just stay Souls of Wisdom 2.

This doesn't mean that I am starting over Souls of Wisdom entirely, but I must make significant changes to this quest. So the name change is where this starts. I'll keep you guys up to speed on plans for this quest in the near future.

#2 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

I hope you don't make MAJOR changes.

From what I've seen, I liked how this quest was shaping up...

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

The major change is how I'll be handling the palaces, most specifically Midoro Swamp Palace. I feel like the one before it was much better, and that is the direction that I should have been following.

I want to give the palaces a more classic feel.

Another thing I need to change is my excessive use of dialog. I need to be able to present my story without so many strings.

#4 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

Good movements, now, I start to get interest in this quest.

Another thing I need to change is my excessive use of dialog. I need to be able to present my story without so many strings.

This is KEY. And it's a common mistake on story driven quests. I believe the best way to tell stories in Zelda games is to use only the necessary dialogue (talking about cutscenes) and to simplify it as much as possible. Then, let the player figure out the rest and make the game and its situations self explanatory, so that the player could discover and feel the rest of the argument by himself and experience it (way better than sitting there and listen to it).

Just look at, for example, how wonderfully told the Link's Awakening story is. Koizumi almost didn't even need cutscenes or too much dialogue, and he managed to put the player in a deep mental conflict.
  • Soma C. likes this

#5 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

I definitely like the new name. Hope this turns out as a great quest! :D

#6 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

NJF, you better not make major changes! Or else I will never share my chocolate pop tart with you! :lol:

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

Wait, does this mean you restart SoW2 from scratch on a new quest file? That would be not so nice. But perhaps I just misinterpret your posts!

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

As this is based on Z2, may I suggest titling (or subtitling it):

Souls of Wisdom II: Souls of Courage
(or merely, Souls of Courage)

Shadow of Courage, may also be an applicable subtitle.

It would be fantastic, if you don;t plan this as your final quest; and follow up with a Souls of Power, trifecta. Something akin to how Outlands fills in the NES/FC Zelda Triad.

#9 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Yep you should redo the title to change it into Souls of Courage.

#10 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wouldn't it be odd where I already got a game called "Shattered Courage"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users