• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Sep 9 2012, 05:14 PM) View Post

So let me get this straight. You're 'complaining' that a change that should have happened a long time ago, finally happened? Isn't that kind of... you know, silly?

What? Complaining? No. Saying "it's about time"? Yes. icon_smile.gif I think forward motion and.. getting with the times is a wonderful thing. Not complaining at all. Just think it's late that's all icon_smile.gif

Your awful assumptions are, you know, silly?

Edited by Nate, 09 September 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#17 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

Also, woohoo custom titles!

#18 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Interesting... quite interesting... I didn't notice the changes until it was pointed out in this thread. (Then again, I haven't had much time on here in the past day or 2.)
Personally, I kinda' liked having the post count showing. However, if we're changing the hearts system, it's okay not to show it. Showing the date the user joined should be a better indication of how long they've been here.

About the hearts, I agree that it doesn't need to be based on number of posts. Some users have been on here for years and have a low postcount; that doesn't mean they haven't been actively reading posts and whatnot.
However, it probably wouldn't accurately reflect if it was solely based on time since joined. I'm thinking if the website keeps track of logon times (meaning, being active), and if it could keep track of which days the user is active, it could count the number of active days and use that to determine the number of hearts. If a user were active once in a day, it would count as one day; if activity starts on one day and carries over to (still active on) the next morning (past midnight, of that user's time zone), that could count as 2 days. Any days the user is not active at all are not counted.
That would be a bit more accurate than basing it off of date joined. For example, a user could have joined back in 2002 and only been active for 100 days; that user should not have more hearts than a user who joined in 2008 and has been active for 400 days. (Hope that makes my point clear?)

I'd like to make one suggestion, though. Give the users the ability to choose the color of the hearts (except for keeping the staff color constant, of course; don't allow them to choose that color). In the user profile, the user could select from a set amount of colors which they'd prefer their hearts to be; there could also be a selection for "multi-colored" if they want to keep the current color scheme. Just a suggestion.

Edited by Lightwulf, 10 September 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#19 Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Cecil Harvey - Paladin

• Members

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I think this is a fine idea. Who cares about post count? The only place I care about post count is the GU (where I have over 11k posts XD). But around here, I don't think it matters. I would like to see the heart containers make a return. Perhaps those could be used to indicate activity. icon_smile.gif

#20 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Nate @ Sep 10 2012, 05:00 AM) View Post

What? Complaining? No. Saying "it's about time"? Yes. icon_smile.gif I think forward motion and.. getting with the times is a wonderful thing. Not complaining at all. Just think it's late that's all icon_smile.gif

Your awful assumptions are, you know, silly?

Apparently they were. Oh well, I can't be right all the time.

#21 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

I still think that the sidebar looks ugly without the hear containers. You guys should add them back, but have them represent something else, like what others are suggesting.

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

Don't worry, we were already discussing alternate methods of displaying the hearts before this topic ever went up. icon_wink.gif

#23 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hopefully these changes mean that the overall quality of posts can improve, instead of people posting purely for their post count.. It's a good idea, really.

#24 Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Cecil Harvey - Paladin

• Members

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Sep 13 2012, 05:25 PM) View Post
Don't worry, we were already discussing alternate methods of displaying the hearts before this topic ever went up. icon_wink.gif

Coolios! icon_biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users