Getting Zelda Classic 1.92 Beta 183 to work with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm looking to get New Quest in particular to work with Windows 7, yet everything I try seems to get me kicked out. Anybody have suggestions?

-James

#2 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

there should be a zc launcher for windows 7 if you search around

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

1.92? Hate to tell ya, but I think you're pretty much out of look trying to run a version of ZC that old on Windows 7.

#4 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

If you have Win7 Ultimate, try using XP mode. Otherwise you may be out of luck.

#5 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

I've gotten 1.92 to run fine on Windows 7, but I can't run it fullscreen -- every time I've tried running it fullscreen, it just crashes. Run it in windowed mode -- make a shortcut to the program and add this: -windowed -res 640 480 big

You might also have to run it as an administrator if you want it to be able to access your files (assuming they're not in your user folder).

It's also worth noting that it breaks Aero by default. You can fix that by adding this to ag.cfg:
CODE
[graphics]
disable_direct_updating = 1

#6 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

OK, ZQuest works, ZC does not.

Is there any way I can download .QSU's and update them through ZC 2.5 RC 4 and have them work without bugs?

I appreciate the help.

-James

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

1.92 quests should work in 2.50 without any updates. Some minor differences are generally acceptable, but if they have any major problems, that should be considered a bug in ZC.

#8 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

OK, I'll import these as .QSU's and work to update them. Testers would be welcome, if anyone is interested.

I do give my fair word of warning though: These quests are not easy and require that you have beaten the 2nd Quest at least. So I take no responsibility if they're possibly too hard for the normal player. I am leaving them "as is", when ZC was in their golden days.

The quests in question:

New Quest
New Quest 2
James Quest
James Quest 2
Demo EX

Thanks guys for everything.

-James

#9 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Well I know that Hidden Duality: Director's Cut has a bug - The whirlpools are now solid when they were not before and you could dive into them to warp to other areas. You can't do that in the latest RC. Regardless, I agree, 2.5 does tend to play things more or less smooth as long as it wasn't made in some recent 2.10 beta with enemy editors, old scripting language, etc.

#10 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

OK, this seems to work better than 2.10 for sure.

While probably not enough to get me back into it for good, it should be enough to get an update to the quests going, get some overdue Fraps videos for things like New Quest, and get a tech video set for doing game development in school.

DFW, do you have FB or something? Would like to exchange if possible being we've been around this project forever.

BTW, question with New Quest:
Do you guys want a music revamp, or do you want it left alone as it was back in 1999/2000 when Zelda Classic first came out, or even two versions (one classic, one new music). It's the least I can do, and there are a lot of good new tunes out since 2000.

-James

Edited by Nightmare, 30 August 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#11 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Aug 30 2012, 03:52 PM) View Post
Well I know that Hidden Duality: Director's Cut has a bug - The whirlpools are now solid when they were not before and you could dive into them to warp to other areas. You can't do that in the latest RC.

Just to make sure, did you check that in RC3 or 4? There was an issue with walkable swimming types which was fixed for RC4. Is there still a problem?

#12 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

FB? You mean Facebook? Of course I have an account, just look up Darkflamewolfie or some such and you'll find me.

#13 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:11 AM

Added DFW.

Remind me to play Hidden Duality: Director's Cut when I have time and you've updated it to RC 4. I meant to complete that but ran out of time and stuff.

-James

Edited by Nightmare, 07 September 2012 - 02:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users