Scripting Forum Changes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

It's not that time consuming. icon_shrug.gif Is it that hard to write a short description and blurb about how to use your script? We have the template, so you just need to copy and paste those sections into it.

Besides that, the simple fact of the matter is that the point of databases is to make it easier on the user to find and use stuff. icon_unsettled.gif It was very difficult to understand stuff in the old database because half of the people would leave their instructions to set up scripts hidden within walls of text, wouldn't fully describe what the script does, or wouldn't put any information at all. This is to solve all of those issues. Some of the global script requirements are meant to address people making sloppy code that makes it nearly impossible to merge global scripts without 1. have lots of advanced knowledge of how to code and 2. sitting down for a good hour to sort around code.

Secondly, we do allow commenting on the overall nature of the script. If there is a bug, it's perfectly find to mention that in the topic. However, it's not okay to ask questions about how to combine the script with other scripts, how to add the script into their global function, etc.

#17 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Jan 24 2012, 10:15 AM) View Post

Also it does not allow discussion of a script which makes it impossible to fix dorment bugs that only show up when used in various situations, which someone writing the script could not think of. As an example timed warps can pretty much lead to problems with any kind of script. Who in hell tests their script with timed warps and all those kinds of possibilities. In my opinion the dialog between scripter and community is pretty important for all but the most simple simple of scripts. And yes oftentimes even the simplest scripts can have hidden bugs.

I apologize. I screwed up my wording a bit with the reply to Russ. icon_frown.gif

We never intended for debugging of the actual scripts to be banned from the script submission topics. If there are bugs or problems in the implementation, then it is perfectly fine to discuss them. To bar discussion of that stuff would be absolutely absurd.

When I said "random debugging," I was talking about the "how do I combine this with what I have?" and other general ZScript questions that cropped up often in the old topics. There is already a forum where you can get help with this stuff, so it shouldn't need to be crammed into a topic that should be focused on a single script.

#18 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Sounds good; it has been irritating finding awesome scripts that no longer function. Since this will fix that, I am happy.

#19 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Why are submitted scripts not offered on the frontpage like tiles, music and quests?
Is there a particular reason for that bias?

#20 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Wild Bill. He'd have to show up and change the main page to allow for scripts, and Wild Bill never shows up here anymore. icon_unsettled.gif

#21 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, it would be a lot more work than what he did to allow for 2.50 quests, since he already had the quest database infrastructure. A scripting section would be a whole new category, and he probably hasn't made a new category since the very early days of this site. With the exception of allowing new versions of quests and tilesets, and allowing previews of midis, it has all for the most part remained the same since I joined here back in 2004. If he ever one day decided to make changes to the main site, he would probably be more inclined to do a general revamp of everything before adding a scripting section, but I can't speak for him.

#22 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I might be wrong but to me it looks like he can recycle most of the code that was used for example for the tile section. Also tile and tileset section look like they are pretty much based on the same code. i might be severely wrong but to me it looks like a job for copy& paste and a few smaller tweaks to some numbers besides that please correct me if i am wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users