• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hey guys!

I was wondering if there's a good alternative screen capturing program other than CamStudio? That infamous WaveSelect error is preventing me from using it to record my videos.

I just want one where it's completely free, and it's not a trial version to one where you must pay money to use. I also want to to record sound as well icon_wink.gif

I need it ASAP!

Thanks!

#2 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

For my ZC LP videos, I've been using BB FlashBack Express. You do need to register it, but it's free to do so. At least, a version of it. I'm pretty sure there's some sort of premium version, but you don't need to use it. icon_wink.gif

It's a little more difficult to use, as once you make your video, you need to export it from their format to an AVI, but it's a small extra step and doesn't take too much time to do unless you're exporting a big video. (Like I normally do. I'm talking between 15-30 minutes of footage. >_>)

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

Does it record HD? At least 720p?

#4 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

I never really pay attention to those kind of numbers, so I'm not entirely sure. I imagine you could, but I've never used it myself. (That is, used it for HD.)

#5 Littlelink91

Littlelink91

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

Try these...

http://www.webresour...ve-screencasts/
http://graphicssoft....for_Windows.htm

I have heard Camtasia is a good alternative to Camstudio.

Edited by littlelink91, 17 February 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#6 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

You need to pay for Camtasia. (Which Dawnlight asked for them to be free) Also, not to mention that it refuses to work properly with ZC. At least, I've never had any luck with it. (I imagine you're using this for ZC?)

#7 Littlelink91

Littlelink91

Junior

• Members

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(SpacemanDan @ Feb 17 2011, 06:02 PM) View Post

You need to pay for Camtasia. (Which Dawnlight asked for them to be free) Also, not to mention that it refuses to work properly with ZC. At least, I've never had any luck with it. (I imagine you're using this for ZC?)

Oh.. thought it was free. Whoops. No I don't use Camtasia.

#8 Sentai

Sentai

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

I use Camtasia Studio 7 constantly for my Lets Play's ... and who says anything is never free anymore? icon_razz.gif

#9 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

I use Camtasia Studio 7 too. I dunno what the wave problem is you're having.

an alternative I used was HyperCam when I was doing my Oracle of Ages LP (which I need to redo since I lost all the videos).

And to record in HD, at least 720p, you have to record in 1,280x720 dimensions. You'll need to have a high resolution computer monitor to perform in that resolution or an HDTV in at least 720p to perform it.

#10 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I've "acquired" Camtasia and like it better. CamStudio will record like normal but screws up when it tries to save the video. Camtasia does not for me.

#11 Sentai

Sentai

Junior

• Members

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

I admire CamStudio, for a freeware software and them doing this in their free time, its amazing, but it still doesn't beat a team of coders and programmers getting paid lol. Now technically Camtasia is generally not "built" for gaming, but I have figured out ways to get 27-30 frames with almost anything I record now.

Dimensions: Now on the record bar I usually set this to 1280 (top) x 720 (bottom) But some emulators have a set resolution, a list to pick from and they don't support custom resizing, and in some cases, they support a more 4:3 based resolution (more box then rectangle) Like Project64 doesn't support 1280 x 720, but it does support 1280 x 960, thats when I change my dimension's, then when editing, my Video Encoder automatically makes the video 1280 x 720. Remember you can always scale down with no visual defects, but scale up, and your gonna make your video look like s***.

Tools Options > Inputs
Right away you'll see video, and audio. Here you can check off "Record System Audio", then select your microphone, Where it says Screen Capture Frame Rate, set it to 45. When I had mine on 30 it capture around 19-24, on 45 it captures 28-31. Don't ask why, but remember its not built for gaming, but this helps get a full 30 frames. Sometimes you'll capture 31+, and the recording bar WILL report a lot of lost frames (because technically its target is 30) but don't worry about it.

Video Settings: Go over to the DivX website and download their Video Code 6.9 c (Free or Pro both have the video recording codec). Once its downloaded select it in the compressor box then select Config.

On the Certification Profile slect 1080HD Profile. Now this next part is a bit subjective based on your PC, and I have a fairly decent and fast PC. You can select Encoding Presets and move the slider for a simple way to customize (mine is all the way to the left under speed) and thats all I left it at, or you can leave it un checked and go to the Codec tab and customize it even further, but that requires a bit more knowledge.

Sound Settings: Format is PCM and Attributes is 44.100 kHz 16 Bit Stereo 172kb/sec

Now remember these settings are based around uploading to YouTube.

Encoding and Rendering: For a long time when I Produced my files, I thought that only .mov would carry the HD far... I was wrong, and the DivX Codec does not like the .mov contrianer at all (every single time I try to produce in .mov Rendering failes 50-75% of the way for me)

When you produce and share, a window will pop up asking for more settings, click the drop down box and go to Add / Edit settings. Create a New one. Name it anything you like, but I named mine YouTube AVI 1280x720 because I still have my Mov preset, and I have a 1080p preset aw well in case I get a faster processor or a bigger monitor (and my monitor is already 1080 but just barely) and 30 Frame Rate (this is why I said don't worry if you shoot over 30 frames).

Under the video compression here I have x264vfw - H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC Codec, this is what truley makes it HD, when googling this (unless you already have it) google x264vfw and it should be a fairly simple search, just remember x264 abd h.264. Under File Format select AVI then next. Under video select True Colors (24-bit)

Under audio make sure Encode Audio is selected and under audio format select the same setting as we did for the recording settings, PCM Format, Attributes 44.100 kHz 16Bit Stereo, 172kb/sec.

Click next, and you'll be on the video Size, here select Custom Size and make it 1280 width by 720 height. Background color is a personal and optional setting. Next is a visual watermark, again personal and optional setting.

That's what I use on my video's, though it took me a long time to figure it out, you can clearly see my first video's sucked then got gradually better icon_smile.gif.

If your curious check them out Here!

#12 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

Just use Fraps? Barely affects frame rate. There's an initial burst of lag but once that's passed there's no more lag.

#13 Sentai

Sentai

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

Yea except FRAPS is completely uncompressed. So unless you have a lot of Hard Drive space and an external Video Editor, your kinda screwed. a 5 min Video I tested with FRAPS gave me almost 10GB of video... that's CRAZY, I use the settings above and get the same quality at a fraction the size, and Camstudio 7 has a built in Editor, albeit not as fully featured or sophisticated as Sony Vegas or iMovie even, but it still is free with the Program which is a bonus, and it edits more then just camrec files (The Camstudio project files) but anything you put in it.

#14 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

True, but storage is dirt cheap now.

#15 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

Not only is storage cheap and abundant, but you can just use free software (like VirtualDub) and free codecs (like xvid) and compress that 10 GB file down to a few hundred mbs. The reason why fraps can record such high resolution video with no lag whatsoever is because it doesn't compress as it records.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users