The tileset's influence on a quest

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

I'm in a predicament now. Naturally I want my quest to turn out as good as possible. I was planning to use GB graphics since using any other tileset would feel a bit like blasphemy to me; I won't say I 'mastered' the GB tileset but it's the one that I am using best of those I tried out. However, I'm afraid GB graphics won't catch the game's atmosphere (of course, much is possible by messing around with palletes, but colour isn't everything). What I'm planning is heaviliy story bound, the story is rather dark and mysterious and GB (not the colours, it's stlye) isn't fitting I guess. I'm afraid the tileset could destroy the atmosphere given by the story.

Now, I want to ask you: should I stay at GB or should I try out something else, e.g. DoR (it will take a while to learn how to use it peoperly but it's possible). Please give reasonable suggestions.

So long, Shiek.
(Note: I had to look up some words, sorry for maybe false/unfitting/strange vocabluar and/or grammer, but I'm no native speaker after all.)

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

I really dislike when people ask about something that should be their very own invidual personal choice... Especially that you practically forced us to command you to switch to DoR with your post.

Also, for how long you use GB? If you started to actually use ZC only when you joined PZC, then you are a very fresh newb with GB even if you used it from early morning to late night all days from 29. March '09.

Mass-use a tileset for at least a year and preferably finish or almost finish a quest with it, only then mention "mastered" in your post. I was using DoR for a year almost every day from early morning to late night and only then did I claim that I at least got used to it. Now after 2 years of using, I think I almost mastered it. And I still have much to learn about LoZ, too.

So, try DoR. You always can go back to GB or to any other tileset. I think DoR supports the dark theme the best.

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Apr 17 2009, 09:10 PM) View Post

I really dislike when people ask about something that should be their very own invidual personal choice... Especially that you practically forced us to command you to switch to DoR with your post.

Well, when I wrote down the story I had pictures in my head that definatly are not GB but rather DoR. But I know that it's possible to make wonderful stuff with GB, too, but GB simply isn't /wasn't and maybe will never be epic/dramatic (I'm lacking of vocabualry again, sorry). And I thought of DoR becuase I don't know the <insert name of unbeliefeable tileset here> yet. So I actually wanted to know if I should stay at GB or look for something else, maybe something I don't even know yet. Maybe TMC graphics will work but there isn't a TMC tileset (I guess since I asked and the answer was more or less 'there is but it isn't complete').

Also, for how long you use GB? If you started to actually use ZC only when you joined PZC, then you are a very fresh newb with GB even if you used it from early morning to late night all days from 29. March '09.
Mass-use a tileset for at least a year and preferably finish or almost finish a quest with it, only then mention "mastered" in your post. I was using DoR for a year almost every day from early morning to late night and only then did I claim that I at least got used to it. Now after 2 years of using, I think I almost mastered it. And I still have much to learn about LoZ, too.

That's why I said I haven't mastered it. Maybe the term sounds strange, but I found nothing else. And using a tileset properly or even brillant has nothing at all to do with having a quest finshed or not (that sounds sharper than it's ment). Not even with the time spend using it. I fully understand that using a tileset for a long time makes you better in this but that does not forceful mean that you learned how to or not. This is as if someone said 'the older you are, the more intelligent you are' or somewhat like this.

So, try DoR. You always can go back to GB or to any other tileset. I think DoR supports the dark theme the best.

That makes number two on the list: GB, DoR. Thanks.

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

Yes, TMC is as supportive for dark theme as DoR or even more, but I didn't mention it for there's no any completed MC tilesets anywhere... However! The Adventure set reeks of MC tiles. You can try that, but be aware at almost each object is useful only one palette. I was going to make a quest wth it, but stopped after one screen...

But why couldn't GB be epic/dramatic? Just play LA. It's definitely epic, a bit dramatic and has very dramatic parts. And this all without any dark palettes or dark tiles! Wow.

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hm, a set in which we have one palette per object? That's strange :>

Hm. That can be true, I never played LA. What I was trying to say is that I'm searching for something that supports the dark/epic/dramatic feeling. On the one hand we have colour, on the other we have graphic /style. Changing the colours in a way that it supports the effect isn't hard, I don' want to sound bigheaded but I know how to work with colour since art plays a major role in my life. The graphics are my problem. I can't see much epicness in a sqaure pineapple somehow... And I'm not good at making custom tiles, if I draw, I prefer it traditional.
Come to think... colour playes the bigger role, not the graphics (if it isn't hello kitty of course)... Maybe I should really go with GB. And that's the point where I'm back in my dilemma. You see? icon_wink.gif

#6 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

Just use GB,it has all the good reasons to pick a tileset,
1.)It's easy enough for you to use
2.)it's good looking
3.)It has plenty of dark things in it.(LA nightmares,hangy skeletons under moldorm in LA,heck you could make a pallette with blood gore and a castlevania feel.

If you really having trouble,make it so the farther in the game you get,the more dark scary gorey it gets. icon_wink.gif

#7 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

Dark and scary huh Chaos de creator? Well, thats your idea of "dark:. Mine is a more mature palette and theme to a quest, skeletons are childish and usually ruin the atmosphere. Bloody? No, that dosent make a feel of sinister. Its just plain silly.

#8 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

I fail to see how skeletons and blood can be silly.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(creatorofchaos @ Apr 17 2009, 11:40 PM) View Post

Just use GB,it has all the good reasons to pick a tileset,
1.)It's easy enough for you to use
-> That's right. One of the reasons for what I don't want to change
2.)it's good looking
-> That's also right icon_smile.gif
3.)It has plenty of dark things in it.(LA nightmares,hangy skeletons under moldorm in LA,heck you could make a pallette with blood gore and a castlevania feel.
-> I actually wans't planning to make TloZ: The slaughter house ... But since most if not all GB sprites use 2colours it's a bit hard with the colours, but I guess it's possible.

If you really having trouble,make it so the farther in the game you get,the more dark scary gorey it gets. icon_wink.gif
-> You'll see, you'll see icon_smile.gif

And I guess Furion ment that overloading a screen with blood, bones and bowels will eventually destroy the atmosphere. It's silly to do somewhat like that because it's counterproductive.

#10 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

Lol, yes it is. I say use whatever you feel you need to use to make your game best. I personally think GB could be dark, but DoR certainly fits a more epic feel.

/me points at The Hylian Phoenix, A Key to the Heavens, Dance of Remembrance.

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:58 AM

I'd advise you didn't use DoR for your first quest personally.

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

I really wish I had another recent tileset to suggest... there aren't enough complete, well-designed tilesets out there. icon_unsettled.gif

The recent Gameboy tileset is great because it's very well-organized. This is a rare and valuable trait.

There's always Pure, which is a little easier to use than DoR because the tiles are fairly repetitive. However, it's getting to be a little dated, and it doesn't benefit from the new palettes that people contributed to DoR.

New BS is pretty useful and easy to use, but it probably doesn't have the "feel" you're looking for.

Anyway, I guess I can't think of anything to suggest as an alternative that isn't similar to DoR. icon_shrug.gif Be careful before switching to DoR, though. It is a challenging tileset to use sometimes, due to its large number of unique tiles.

P.S. -

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 19 2009, 01:58 AM) View Post

...Joe makes a good point. If this is your first quest, I recommend Gameboy or New BS. Or MAYBE the most recent Pure tileset (PTUX).

#13 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE(LinkMystro @ Apr 19 2009, 09:19 AM) View Post

I personally think GB could be dark, but DoR certainly fits a more epic feel.

Actually, that's my problem after all, that DoR simply fits better the theme of the quest. But it should work with GB. Maybe.

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 19 2009, 10:58 AM) View Post

Yes, I thought that, too, quite some times, becuase DoR is a little too challenging.

QUOTE(Radien @ Apr 19 2009, 11:01 AM) View Post

I really wish I had another recent tileset to suggest... there aren't enough complete, well-designed tilesets out there. icon_unsettled.gif

The recent Gameboy tileset is great because it's very well-organized. This is a rare and valuable trait.

There's always Pure, which is a little easier to use than DoR because the tiles are fairly repetitive. However, it's getting to be a little dated, and it doesn't benefit from the new palettes that people contributed to DoR.

New BS is pretty useful and easy to use, but it probably doesn't have the "feel" you're looking for.
Anyway, I guess I can't think of anything to suggest as an alternative that isn't similar to DoR. icon_shrug.gif Be careful before switching to DoR, though. It is a challenging tileset to use sometimes, due to its large number of unique tiles.
P.S. -
...Joe makes a good point. If this is your first quest, I recommend Gameboy or New BS. Or MAYBE the most recent Pure tileset (PTUX).

Yes, sadly there aren't. It would be great fun to work with TMC graphics, but it seems that no one, who actually is able to make a TMC tileset wants to. Sadly.

Recent GB: I would say it's well oraganized but not very well. Anyhow, it's easy to use.

It won't be Pure. I simply don't like it, because it's so overused. It looks boring. Sorry to say that.
BS is actally the same as Pure for me *hides*.

Well, if I don't find anything else than GB it will be GB I guess. TMC with some TMC-fied WindWaker graphics would be something really great.

Grml, I love those big DoR-trees actually ^^. Well, the quest will be fairly small so big trees may kill to much space anyhow. Hard descison.

#14 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

Maybe you should try the Pure Remembrance tileset?

#15 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(jimmyb @ Apr 19 2009, 12:45 PM) View Post

Maybe you should try the Pure Remembrance tileset?

Looks promising actually. I'll have a look at it, the descison anyhow will come later, I'm still just planning. Thanks for the research jimmyb. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users