13 replies to this topic

#1 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

I have build 704, if it matters.

I made a push block puzzle, and there are two problems:

1. Once I push one block, the secret triggers. I put the block trigger flag on the button that the block is supposed to be pushed onto, so I don't know what the problem is.

2. When the secret is triggered, I leave the room, come back, and the secret is reset. How do I make it so the secret is permanent? The combo type for the button is "trigger (Permanent) "

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

#2 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:38 PM

http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=33924
That should help.

#3 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

That's not what I mean... icon_confused.gif

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

You don't actually use trigger tiles for push blocks. Blocks reset themselves when you leave, so that doesn't work. Now, what you could do is have a block puzzle that reveals a Trigger (Permanent) tile. Also, cannot be done with a dungeon dmap type. You'll have to use Cave.

#5 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

Hmm, I will give a more detailed explaination.

For example, you have a block in the middle of the room, it's unpushable. You have another block standing somewhere in the left of the room and you have a tile where you have to push the block at the left on.
Place a secret combo flag on the unpushable block, which are stairs, for the pushable block, place the flag which let you push the block to any direction and multiple times(not sure how it's named), and the tile where the pushable block must be put on needs the flag: "block trigger".
That's all, make sure it's a cave/interior map and test the stuff.

Now, it still ain't permanent, so make a secret combo with the permanent trigger setting and place some around the block. If the block trigger is activated, these triggers will appear to and the player will walk over them to have acces to the stairs. The secret will be permanent.
Another option is to have in the room where the stairs take the player to, to have a perm. trigger there and create a screen state carry over. This is quite easy too, however I prefer the 1st one.

#6 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

I don't really understand... What I'm trying to say is that when I come back, the blockers would already be down. icon_confused.gif (i'm not good at this icon_frown.gif )

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

I've done this, so I'll try to give a simple explanation.

Step 1: Open the combo editor and create a new pushblock combo. Make it just like your usual pushblock combo, but go to Combo Properties and assign it a general secret flag as an inherent flag (for instance, flag #16).

Step 2: Create your pushblock puzzle, using the aforementioned combo. Make sure you assign flag #61 (Push: 4-way, Many, Silent) to the pushblocks, and flag #66 (Block Trigger) to the triggers.

Step 3: Open up the Secret Combos dialong and assign a normal floor tile to the secret combo you just attached to the combo (assuming the room's floor tiles all looks the same). Triggering this secret combo will cause the block to "disappear" when the player reenters the room, to show that the puzzle has already been solved.

Step 4: The blocks now "disappear" when the puzzle is solved, so you need to make them "reappear" in their rightful place. This is easiest done with layers. Assign the screen a layer 1, and put some secret flags directly over the Block Triggers. Assign pushblocks as secret combos so they will appear at those spots. Now, after the puzzle is solved, it will appear that the blocks are already on their triggers.

Step 5: The last step is to make the secret permanent. Block Triggers are, as you know, temporary triggers, so you need to force the player to step on a "Trigger Perm." combo. To do so, assign a "Trigger Temp." combo to a slot in the "Secret Combos" dialog on layer 0. Then, assign those secret flags to the screen in such a way that the player can't leave the screen without walking across them (for instance, lay them across a doorway). Make sure you use a tiered secret to make the "Trigger Perm." combos disappear once the player steps on them. Put normal combos on layer 1 to cover up where those secret combos will appear, and you're good to go. icon_smile.gif

...Here's how it works:

1. The player solves the pushblock puzzle.
2. In addition to the normal result of solving the puzzle, unseen "Trigger Perm." combos appear in the doorways.
3. When the player leaves the room, s/he steps on one of the "Trigger Perm." combos. This causes the "Trigger Perm." combos to disappear, and makes the room's secret permanent.
4. Upon reentering the room, inherent flags make sure that the pushblocks are not where they originally were. The flags on the layers, on the other hand, make the pushblocks appear on top of the triggers, giving the appearance that the puzzle has been solved once and need not be solved again.

I hope that makes sense. If not, I suggest asking other people to help you understand it, because I might not be around to help more in the next few days. Also, please note that if you don't want to go through all of that, it's pretty easy to make a block puzzle permanent if you don't care whether the blocks return to their original positions. Just skip ahead to step 5. The secret will remain triggered after the puzzle has been solved once, even though the blocks return to their original formation.

#8 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

IPB Image

that is the push block puzzle. I don't need the blocks to appear where they have to be to solve the puzzle, all I need is for those cube things to come down whenever I reenter the room. (I have no idea what they are called.) same situation for this:

IPB Image

(I'm bad at this icon_frown.gif )

Edited by ZebraStallion, 05 January 2008 - 10:56 PM.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Got IPB'd.

Yeah, everyone else explained it pretty well. I'm too lazy to actually tell you how to do it fully icon_razz.gif

#10 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:50 PM

Hmmm the advice seems sound... but for some reason, it doesn't want to work...

I'm trying to do something similar: shoot switch with magic, platform appears and stays there while you go through other rooms to get to it.

I tried using the 'trigger: permanant' combo (shoot statue, floor around link turns to floor w/ trig: perm, that trigger activates when link moves, replacing the current floor with the tiered secret combo of normal floor and the platform) But when I leave and come back, the room reverts and I need to retrigger the secret.

It's like its completely ignoring the 'permanant' part of the combo... unless I'm doing something stupidly wrong (which I wouldn't put past me).

And for refrence, the room is in a dungeon dmap, and im using zqwest 2.5 build 254.

#11 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE(ZebraStallion @ Jan 5 2008, 02:58 AM)  

IPB Image

that is the push block puzzle. I don't need the blocks to appear where they have to be to solve the puzzle, all I need is for those cube things to come down whenever I reenter the room. (I have no idea what they are called.) same situation for this:

IPB Image

(I'm bad at this icon_frown.gif )

Zebrastallion, listen:
First give the blocks the right flags (in your case, push many flags).
Then place the flag: "block trigger" on the trigger you want to have the block to be pushed on. I doesn't need any combo types, set the combo type to none.
Make some secret combos, one for the lowered cubes, 1 sand combo which has the combo type: trigger (permanent), 2 dungeon tile combos with the combo type: trigger permanent. Then tier* all of the trigger secret trigger combos to turn into normal combos if you step on them.

*About tiering: Make the secret combos for the normal combos(normal sand, dungeon tiles) too, then ctrl+click the secret with the trigger types then select the normal secret combos. That's called tiering, when you walk over a trigger once the combo will change in the first secret combo, if you walk over another trigger the first secret combo will change into the tiered secret combo. You can do this more then twice on the same combo, experiment with it. icon_wink.gif

Now if you quite understood what I said, test your quest, solve the puzzle; the triggers will appear, walk out of either sides of the room, you will now walk over the triggers (while going out of the room); the secret will stay permanent; the tiered secrets will appear and stay permanent so they will act as the normal combos once again, you walk back into the room and tada! Your block puzzle is back to his original state, but the secret is still permanent. You can do the same with whistle secrets, but that's another story.

Please read this calmly and if you still don't get it, just say so, this are important parts of quest you must master.

#12 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

I get what you're saying, but it's not working. The push block puzzle is working, but it's not permanent. I'll give you step by step to what I did.

1. I set the secret combos.
-secret combo 1: peg when it's down
-secret combo 2: dungeon floor (trigger permanent)
-secret combo 3: dirt (trigger permanent)

2. Put flags in room, different colors=flags

IPB Image

when I solve the block puzzle, the pegs go down. I walk out of the room to the west and come back. Nothing happens...

#13 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:28 PM

AHA!
Now I see what your problem is. You were using a NES Dungeon map type.
Secrets don't stay permanent in those map. They do in Interior maps, but don't in Dungeons.
Just use the screen flag: "Treat as interior room".
You might get some trouble with the doors, but you'll just have to set them up customly then.

Also, Moonwhiper pointed this out too.

Edited by Twilight_Knight, 08 January 2008 - 03:31 PM.

#14 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

OMG! It works! Thank you SO much! icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users