Overworld Names

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 LinkMaster1000

LinkMaster1000

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

How do you all come up with the names of your overworlds? I am assuming that you do not use the traditional "Hyrule" name.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

I do. icon_deformed.gif

Well, I have a Zelda spoof planned out called "The Story of Delda," but alot of it is basically kinda the opposite of Zelda stuff. I took Hyrule and thought, "What kind of twist can I put here..." Then I thought of what Hyrule sounded like: "High Rule" or even "I rule". I took the second, thought, "You Stink," and that became Yusteenc. icon_xd.gif

Though that's the only non-Hyrule quest I've thought of doing right now.

#3 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

Do you need help with coming up with a overworld name?

#4 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:45 PM

I personally don't like using Hyrule in my quests. Coming up with a good, fitting name is somewhat difficult, so here's how I do it.

First, pick 8 random letters. This can be done most easily by closing your eyes and pecking at the keyboard.

w u d y e j f i

Now, take those 8 letters and arrange them in a way that makes the most sense.

Jfideyuw

Lastly, remove/insert/rearrange letters until you have a name that sounds nice.

Fideyu

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE(LinkMaster1000 @ May 2 2007, 02:26 AM) View Post

How do you all come up with the names of your overworlds? I am assuming that you do not use the traditional "Hyrule" name.

Uhm... I use it.
My quest plays in Hyrule, so expect overworld names like "Hyrule field", "Lake Hylia", "Death Mountain", "Kokiri Forest" and "Lost Woods".

However, my quest will involve areas "outside(?)" Hyrule... These areas won't get some random names put together from random letters... I usually name an overworld according to it's environment (swamp, mud field, lava waste, forest, jungle, etc...). Of course, I try to come up with something less unoriginal, like "Loss of Light Forest" instead of "Dark Forest".

#6 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:23 PM

I really have only used about four or five Zelda location names in my quest (Hyrule City, Lake Hylia, Hyrule Field, Zora Village). The rest I either made up or used a suitable name for that location, eg.

Grande Mountain -> mountain full of snow and other stuff

However, I did have to improvise on one of the smaller towns in my quest, Lithiane Village, which I have absolutely no idea where that name came from. All I can remember is that it came from the word "Lithium".

#7 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:15 PM

I just use Hyrule. And make up names that sund cool but mean absoulutly nothing.

#8 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I always liked choosing themed names, or if nothing came to mind, simple objects like table, perhaps more epically selled "Tabal". "Cup". Eventually something usually comes up that just seems to fit, and thusly its used.

#9 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:25 AM

Well, thanks to Shoelace, the water fall in my quest is called Myst Falls. From there, I named the river, the River Myst". The town is called Miston (Myst Town) after the river, and the overworld is the county of Mystshire. Simple? Yes, but effective and realistic.

Edited by Limzo, 06 May 2007 - 05:27 AM.

#10 Moldorm

Moldorm

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

In teh quest Iīm making (on hold due to computer crash) I named Linkīs home village "Town of Brium". I really donīt know where I got that from.

#11 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

I put random consonants and vowels together until I get something I like. Similar to Revman's idea, but still different. I'm doing this for The Hyrulian Destiny.

#12 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

I needed some names for Sages and characters and stuff, I got my friend to make some up for me. I think he mostly just picked random letters. I also found some cool sounding japanese words (happened to be from yu-gi-oh cards) and changed a few letters around.

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

Kodeiv <--- this is a result of random typing. icon_razz.gif However, I COPYRIGHT THAT NAME FOR SoP, SO, DON'T YOU DARE USE IT, OR YOU WILL GET COVERED IN TARTAR SAUCE! icon_deformed.gif

Hmm... to me, sounds like a perfect name for the ancient village I'm going to toss in. icon_razz.gif

That's one way of coming up with names. Another is, if you're in need of a name, think of a letter that you want it to start with, then just keep coming up with random names. Or, take the letter, think of other random words. Lambondin. This will be Link's home village in SoP. It was kind of a mix of both thinking of random names and combining names. I wanted to start the village name with the letter "L," then started thinking of random names. Got something like "Landonia," which reminded me of "Cambodia." The end part just makes me think of Lord of the Rings, so I went with it.

Kodeiv, Lambondin. My names. Don't use them, or else. icon_superevil.gif

#14 LinkMaster1000

LinkMaster1000

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thank you all. I just wanted some insights from other quest makers.

I didn't want to just use Hyrule as the name because that assumes you're going to include all the usual Hyrule locations (Death Mountain, Hyrule Castle, a town, Lake Hylia, Lost Woods etc...).

#15 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

For Wisdrim, I was going to name it the "Dream World", then I changed it to where I wanted it to be the world of Wisdom. Well, I smooshed together the words "Wisdom" and "Dream", and created the word "Wisdrim".

For areas within Wisdrim, I used terms that would somewhat relate to the word "Wisdom", so I created Oracle Mountain, Wish Village, Philosophis (Philosophy) City, Insight Forest, and Hill of Deception.

I had a quest left on the side that was a word that came off the top of my head (Galena), until I realized that Galena was a type of rock. I also had a city named Xemn, named after Xemn from Legacy of the Wizard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users