When Making sprites...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

Most of these should be obvious, but there have apparently been people who didn't know things--N00bs

Rule #1: Never use Cset 2, 3 or 4 for sprites. These are for combos- the colors are level specific and tend to change the most. (more than Cset 9 which is also level specific.) Please use Csets 0,1,and 5-11. You can change your Cset with + and - for those of you that don't know.

Rule #2: Unless you are using the classic set, (or are making a background) Don't make flat-shaded tiles. Use at least two shades.

Rule #3: Don't make a tile for something that isn't implemented. *Obsolete with scripting... just make sure it's possible*

Rule #4: This was apparently a big one. Make sure it hasn't already been submitted if it is a rip.

Rule #5: Show it to one or two other people first. If it does not appeal to them, edit it.

Rule #6: If it is animated, make sure it looks and flows right. Users and players don't like choppy animations.

Rule #7: You should have at least one screenshot/the tiles themselves. Nobody will want it if you don't have screenies.

Rule #8: This should be obvious, but I'm saying this anyway. Make sure it looks how it should. If it is supposed to be a crystal, It should look like a crystal!!!!!

Rule #9: Arrange your tiles in the easiest way possible to make it more convenient for the user.

Rule #10: With custom tiles, use good or accurate colors.

Rule #11: Make sure it works in ZC. Test it with the grabber. (I've made this mistake before, even though I fixed it.)

Rule #12: Don't mix sprites with other sprites that you aren't submitting. Have just the sprites that you are intending to submit.

If you comply to all of these rules, then your submissions won't be rejected! icon_cool.gif icon_biggrin.gif
It may be common sense, but it's a good reference if you don't understand one of these concepts.

Anyone that would like to add to this may.

Edited by Beefster, 13 November 2007 - 09:32 PM.

#2 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:48 AM

Rule #9: Arrange your tiles in the easiest way possible to make it more convinient for the user.

That's all I can think of right now.

#3 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Added to list:

Rules # 9-11

#4 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

Does anybody agree with me that this should be pinned?

#5 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

I do. This is something people should take a look at before making or submitting sprites.

#6 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(beefster @ Sep 19 2006, 04:24 PM)
Does anybody agree with me that this should be pinned?

View Post

I say pin it! I downloaded the recent TotW tiles, and MoP's tiles were, to say the least, discolored. Well, that wasn't too much of a problem. In some cases you just have to simply "get your hands dirty." I customized his tiles in my game, and gave them fewer shades than what was originally intended, but they look fabulous, so far. I did alter the 2.10 overworld palettes in the game, and now I have what people would call "the deep blue sea". icon_lol.gif Seriously, though, I think it made my trees, mountains, and water look alot more realistic. I can't wait until I complete the new overworld fashions! icon_biggrin.gif

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

Three votes of confidence. I will go ahead and pin this, since it seems pretty useful. This would make for 6 pinned topics, but oh well.

#8 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:02 PM

Honestly enough I dont understand some of these rules (particuallry no.1 which I find absurd). When people make tiles all they need to do is make them how they want them to look. Thats it. No more, no less. Who cares if its less than perfect if thats how you wanted it to end up like?

That is however just refering to drawing them for youreself. When submitting things to the database all you need to look out for are:
1: Should fit into other sets somewhat nicely.
2: Shouldent look like ass icon_razz.gif

#9 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:51 PM

1,7, 9, and 11 rules are the ones that really have any value, in my opinion. Everything else is just common sense

Here's a rule I think should be added, though

Submit ONLY the tiles you want to submit. Copy the tiles you want to submit onto a blank tile page before taking a screenshot. It's easier than searching for the tiles in a page full of others

Maybe make it a bit shorter, but you get the idea

#10 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Gashin @ Sep 19 2006, 05:51 PM)
1,7, 9, and 11 rules are the ones that really have any value, in my opinion. Everything else is just common sense

View Post

Unfortunately, people don't seem to have much common sense, but you're right. Maybe I'll remove Rule #8. (It's a no-duh one) Even there, a few people are breaking the rule. It ties in with rule #5 though.

#11 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:17 AM

If you remove #8, please can you still call my rule #9, so people don't think you're saying that mine is a rubbish one. Because it will look that way in the end...

#12 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Sep 24 2006, 02:17 AM)
If you remove #8, please can you still call my rule #9, so people don't think you're saying that mine is a rubbish one. Because it will look that way in the end...

View Post

Or at least replace crystal with a more basic shape, say a circle?

#13 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:19 PM

Yes, but circles are pretty easy to draw in terms of tile art. You just have to know the rules as maths does not apply to pixel art circles/curves.

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

So. Once again, why is this pinned? Sorry, but most of these are common sense, and are specific to what it seems like you'd want, so I find it pretty. Plus most of these are mentioned in the submission ruloes anyway.

#15 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

I've seen way too many crappy tiles. The cset 2 thing is what I've seen most. Some people don't realize that we have 12+ usable Csets.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users