A Garo Robe request

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

Most of the monsters/npcs in my quest have been pretty straightforward, either edited in the Enemy Editor or done with a simple script. Then came an idea for a Garo, which turned out to be more complex than what my simple scripting skills can handle. I tried, but all I could get it to do was lock up the system or just stand there and get hit.
So, I d/l'd ghost.zh. Unfortunately, I don't understand most of it- the idea of 'ghosting' npcs kind of scares me a little. Long story short- I have an idea for a Garo enemy that I can't properly script, I think ghost.zh can help, but I don't know how to get it done.

I have the following tiles already made:
The Garo in a defensive stance (down-facing only)
The Garo running/sliding across the screen (4 dir)
Combos of the Garo with arms out, looking side to side, confused (4 dir)
The Garo spinning (8 dir)
The Garo dropping a bomb (down-facing only)
Swords forward (l & r together, 4 dir)
Sword slashing (left sword, 4 dir + 4 angles)
Sword slashing (right sword, 4 dir + 4 angles)
Sword spinning (l, 8 dir)
Sword spinning (r, 8 dir)

The Garo should have enough hitpoints to take three normal bomb blasts, dying (moving to phase 4) on a fourth. When touched, the Garo steals rupees.
The Garo has four phases.

Phase 1: The Garo stands motionless. If Link approaches (comes within a square or so, maybe 24 pixels), or 4-6 seconds have passed, the Garo randomly chooses an attack mode, Phase 2 or Phase 3. In this phase, Garo is stunned by boomerangs; takes normal damage from bombs (including superbombs, bombchus and bomb-arrows), hammer, and sword; blocks normal arrows, hookshot, fire, magic, and sword beams.

Phase 2: This is the first attack mode. It only happens about 1/3 of the time. The Garo disappears from his location and teleports to line up with Link somewhere on the screen (horizontal or vertical). The Garo points both swords at Link and charges. There should be enough time to get out of the way, but just barely. When it gets to where Link was at the beginning of this phase, it slashes both swords to the sides and slides to a halt (moving another square past, if possible). This gives an idea of the hitboxes:
CODE
       /    |
G=    G     G
       \    |

It then holds this position for a few seconds, looking side-to-side as if confused. Then it returns to Phase 1 in this new location. In this phase, Garo can only be attacked from behind. Bombs, swords, and hammers do damage; Boomerang, hookshot, and arrows stun; half-damage from everything else.

Phase 3: This is the second attack mode. It happens twice as often (2/3 of the time). The Garo draws swords to each side, then spins like a peahat around the screen, with the weapon hitboxes spinning around (8 positions).
After 4-6 seconds of this, it either repeats this phase (2/3 the time) or slows to a stop and goes back to Phase 1. Only bombs can hurt Garo in this phase- it blocks everything else. The swords reflect magic, fire, and sword beams. If hit with a bomb, it jumps to Phase 2 (in retribution).

Phase 4: Once defeated, the Garo drops a bomb at his feet, then explodes like a superbomb. It should play a message just prior to this.

So, is this even possible? Can anybody out there help me out? More importantly, would anybody be willing to give it a try? Be assured that I will devour your script line by line to see how it was done (so, annotations would be nice icon_smile.gif ).

Edited by symbiote01, 15 June 2011 - 12:27 AM.

#2 Isdrakthül

Isdrakthül

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

I'd be willing to write this once I have some free time, but that could be a while. When you say that it drops a bomb at its feet, do you mean the kind that refills Link's bomb counter, or the kind that blows up? If the latter, does the Garo explode, or does the bomb?

Edited by Isdrakthül, 15 June 2011 - 09:04 AM.

#3 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

That would be most appreciated! The bomb refers to one that would explode. Purely a visual effect, as both Garo and bomb disappear at the explosion. To be honest, it doesn't have to be a real bomb- it could be done with a FastDraw tile or something similar.

Eventually, one of the Garo teach Link (actually Impa in my quest) the whirlwind attack. This has nothing to do with the custom monster, just a point of interest.

#4 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Sword weapons can't be scripted into creation. Not possible as far as I know.

#5 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

If you can script an eweapon to stay next to the enemy and do damage by touch, you can make it look like a sword. I've seen a quest (involving a Tonberry, I believe) with an enemy that swings a sword. Actually, this script allows for an esword, I believe. (Actually, it uses an earrow, but meh, no big deal).

Edited by symbiote01, 15 June 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#6 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

I'll take a shot at it. Might help me get back into ZC again. Would you mind posting your tiles? Or do you not have them ready yet? I could just use some Stalfos as placeholders.

#7 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:14 AM

IPB Image
These are drawn by me, and are subject to change (in other words, I know they could be better, but getting them working is my priority- I can make 'em pretty later). After the 5th line are 'mock-ups' with the weapons in their approximate offset positions

#8 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

http://www.mediafire...eao453ij5m64h1u

I ran into a couple of bugs in ghost.zh, so you'll have to update that, too. Here.

It takes some work to set up, so there's a demo quest. Uses 2 enemies, 2-4 sprites, up to 4 sound effects, and 23 combos. Lots of constants to set. And if you redraw the tiles, you may need to rework the offsets.

The enemies should be walking enemies with step 0. Set HP, damage, weapon damage, and touch effects as you like. They should be identical, except one should have the front, left, and right shields set. Place the unshielded one on the screen.

There are actually two scripts; one for the Garo itself, and one that places its swords. The Garo FFC should use the first of its combos. And be sure to check "Run Script at Screen Init."
Garo D0: Sword handler's FFC number
Garo D1: String to show on death
Sword handler D0: Garo's FFC number

Also, I had to switch the sword tiles around a little. Look on page 4.

If you can get it working, you can probably figure out how to tweak it as you like, but I'll be glad to change anything if you need.

#9 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

I gotta say, I was giddy when I saw how well this works. Thank you ever so much. Incorporated. Awesome.
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users