Photo

Screenshot of the Week 287

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (53 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

I'm not saying to completely get rid of them, I'm just saying that if they were a little softer, it'd be better. Maybe like the darkest color for the color of the object? That's how a lot of the DoR objects seemed to be handled.

#17 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Apr 11 2010, 03:31 PM) View Post

Jupiter was a close second, but those houses look style-clashy to DoR.

I am going to have to profoundly disagree with this.

I think that most of the houses that come with DoR clash with DoR...as do most of the trees. The grass, sand, rock, mountain tiles have a lot more detail than most of the basic houses. I think these houses are different but fit at least as well as anything else (indeed, I think they look better than the standard houses).

Further, I think that sometimes style clashing really stands out, but sometimes if things don't perfectly match it's not actually such a big problem...I think most of the trees and standard houses in DoR clash, but still use them.

I'm not saying this because it's my shot and my submission. I'm more than happy to fess up to things that are wrong with my own stuff (like the black outline, or my palette in the last SotW), but I just completely disagree here. Obviously though, Dawnlight, Rem, and others who think this are completely entitled to their opinions and I'm sure they have good reasons for them.

QUOTE(Blaman @ Apr 11 2010, 08:10 PM) View Post

I'm not saying to completely get rid of them, I'm just saying that if they were a little softer, it'd be better. Maybe like the darkest color for the color of the object? That's how a lot of the DoR objects seemed to be handled.

I think this is exactly right Blaman. That's exactly what I should do.

Edited by Jupiter, 11 April 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#18 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Jupiter - 8/10
The size of the houses doesn't give you a lot of room for complex detailing, but you did pretty well with what you had. I'm not a fan of the transparent water, but it's used well so I can't complain about that either. I really like some of the smaller details, like the table and chairs, etc. I really think that the colors are a major turn-off for this shot though; the farmhouse really would look a lot better if the wood was a more natural color (dark brown or red). In addition I think that making the rocks gray would better balance the shot and take some of the emphasis off of the green (which you have a lot of because you're only using one tree color).

Sheik - 8/10
Like all good Gameboy shots, this one is smooth. The palette and the flow of the screen is great; my only complaint is that the second tree color isn't used enough and as a result the few yellow trees stick out a bit. There are also two times when you line the trees up vertically which I try never to do.

Dawnlight - 7/10
What can I say? Solidly designed screen in a classic tileset; I think that the tree tops stand out a bit in the palette, but otherwise a good shot. Nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done.

Molten Onyx - 6/10
Good graphics, but also without details for the most part. icon_unsettled.gif

Moo2wo - 7/10
I think the mountains stay straight for too long in this shot and the screen could be designed better; I try never to let half of a mountain go over a screen edge because it looks bad and it sort of locks up the details that you can use around it. Maybe if the mountains were pulled in a little more better details could be placed.

After some thought I gave this one to Sheik, as I think his shot was the cleanest here, but Jupiter also had a great shot.

#19 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

I intentionally made my screen rather blank. Go play Chrono Trigger and you'll see what I mean. Clutter a screen while using those graphics and you ruin it.

Edited by Molten Onyx, 11 April 2010 - 09:15 PM.

#20 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Apr 11 2010, 08:19 PM) View Post

Jupiter - 8/10
The size of the houses doesn't give you a lot of room for complex detailing, but you did pretty well with what you had. I'm not a fan of the transparent water, but it's used well so I can't complain about that either. I really like some of the smaller details, like the table and chairs, etc. I really think that the colors are a major turn-off for this shot though; the farmhouse really would look a lot better if the wood was a more natural color (dark brown or red). In addition I think that making the rocks gray would better balance the shot and take some of the emphasis off of the green (which you have a lot of because you're only using one tree color).

Thanks EZ! The comments about the overabundance of green are pretty fair...I mean it is basically the only color I use. I don't normally do that, but I kinda liked the feeling it gave me when I first made it, looking at it now I agree it's a little too green though...minimally I could have used a different color for the trim on the house.

Even if the house would look better if the wood was a different color, I really don't think it would have to be natural...people do paint their houses. I actually know a girl who lives in a house of this style that's painted in bright colors...

Edited by Jupiter, 11 April 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#21 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

I voted for Jupiter. The whole setup of the shot is awesome!

#22 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

So many good ideas and tiles completely wasted for a variety of reasons. Null'd icon_frown.gif

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Apr 11 2010, 01:53 PM) View Post

Jupiter
IPB Image
Welcome this is a farmhouse. We have cluster flies alas, and this time of year is bad...

Great tiles! Amazing houses! But the coloring... gahhh. The green wood looks ugly. If it's supposed to be emerald wood, try a more yellowish green; or just make them brown. What really kills these tiles though is the black outline. It makes the tiles look like they were just stuck onto the screen and don't naturally sit there. Give these tiles to someone else to edit, because there are fantastic possibilities in them, but not as they are here.

Sheik
IPB Image

Boring. A fine shot for a game, but not an interesting one or particularly interesting.

Dawnlight
IPB Image
Dawnlight returning to ZC Duties?

Cool pallete and collection of tiles, but is still boring. Where's Link? If Link were fighting some whimsical farierie monsters or something this'd be a lot better. Or if there were random floating chunks of land, or... something.

Molten Onyx
IPB Image
Enlarged to show sexiness

I can't stress this enough: Put something in your shots. Good tiles and graphic do not sell a shot (well, most often don't. If it encompasses the entire screen and is something awe-inspiring maybe, but otherwise...). Put something in them! Pretend it's a painting! Make the viewer have some emotional reaction to the shot! Either of danger, or adventure... something other than just a character staring off into space full of graphic we've seen a million times in a slightly different order and paint color.

Moo2wo
IPB Image

Boring boring boring boring.

Edited by Lemon, 11 April 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#23 That1LinkDude

That1LinkDude

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

Newbie gonna vote yey!!! icon_xd.gif

Hmm lets see...

Jupiter:All i gotta say is wow icon_omg.gif ... that looks nice. I like everything about it except those black lines. Makes those building scream "I don't belong here, help!" Other then that it is really good.

Shiek: In my opinion yours has the best LOZ feel to it. I LIKE IT! icon_biggrin.gif

Dawnlight: You know what comes to mind? Halcyon icon_love.gif ... nough said.

Molten Onyx: I'm the wrong guy for this shot don't get the ref... srry icon_frown.gif

Moo2wo: This is has a nice simple feel to it. BUT I love the character detail. icon_biggrin.gif

This is actually pretty hard, I really don't know which to choose... I'll have to think about it

Alright I decided its gotta go to Jupiter, I just love the look to it!

Edited by That1LinkDude, 11 April 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#24 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(Lemon)
I can't stress this enough: Put something in your shots. Good tiles and graphic do not sell a shot (well, most often don't. If it encompasses the entire screen and is something awe-inspiring maybe, but otherwise...). Put something in them! Pretend it's a painting! Make the viewer have some emotional reaction to the shot! Either of danger, or adventure... something other than just a character staring off into space full of graphic we've seen a million times in a slightly different order and paint color.

Ummm...
I ripped those graphics so that people could see something new that hasn't been done a million times before in ZC.
Also...
QUOTE(Molten Onyx)
I intentionally made my screen rather blank. Go play Chrono Trigger and you'll see what I mean. Clutter a screen while using those graphics and you ruin it.

But that's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own.

Edited by Molten Onyx, 11 April 2010 - 11:22 PM.

#25 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Apr 11 2010, 10:34 PM) View Post

Give these tiles to someone else to edit, because there are fantastic possibilities in them, but not as they are here.

A.) They were entered into the loose tiles database a week ago. Have at it, slick icon_wink.gif

B.) I've already explained about the outline (but you're not reading the other comments apparently):
- 1 - I'm trying to follow the style of most of the objects in DoR, which mostly have black outlines
- 2 - I don't like it either and agree it should go

C.) Your tone--actually your words and their meaning--makes it sound like I just suck so bad that I can't handle fixing an outline (which I put in in the first place) and should give up my ineffectual, fumbling, embarrassing efforts...like I should stop playing in the big kids sandbox. Nice Lemon. Nice.

D.) I've already agreed It'd be better with a different outline (again, read the comments), but I don't think it's anywhere near as heinous as you make it sound...those chairs and the fence in my shot have a black outline, do those look ugly and unnatural? (Also, the green wood is just supposed to be painted...people paint houses like this with one color for the facade and another for the trim all the time...but fair enough.)

E.) I'm all for criticism, really. I want it. And at least I got a couple compliments, but most of your comments to all of us who submitted shots lack tact and border on being derogatory.

F.) I should look forward to seeing a stellar, non-boring shot from you next week, right Lemon? icon_eyebrow.gif

I hope you mean well, I'm going to go ahead and assume that, but be careful with your tone and try to give more constructive and encouraging critiques in the future icon_unsettled.gif

Edited by Jupiter, 12 April 2010 - 12:08 AM.

#26 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(Molten Onyx @ Apr 11 2010, 11:14 PM) View Post

Ummm...
I ripped those graphics so that people could see something new that hasn't been done a million times before in ZC.
Also...

But that's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own.

Hah! I'll be damned. I thought those were Sd3. I still stand firmly that an enemy or two would have made me vote for it though.

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 11 2010, 11:30 PM) View Post

A.) They were entered into the loose tiles database a week ago. Have at it, slick icon_wink.gif

B.) I've already explained about the outline (but you're not reading the other comments apparently):
- 1 - I'm trying to follow the style of most of the objects in DoR, which mostly have black outlines
- 2 - I don't like it either and agree it should go

C.) Your tone--actually your words and their meaning--makes it sound like I just suck so bad that I can't handle fixing an outline (which I put in in the first place) and should give up my ineffectual, fumbling, embarrassing efforts...like I should stop playing in the big kids sandbox. Nice Lemon. Nice.

D.) I've already agreed It'd be better with a different outline (again, read the comments), but I don't think it's anywhere near as heinous as you make it sound...those chairs and the fence in my shot have a black outline, do those look ugly and unnatural? (Also, the green wood is just supposed to be painted...people paint houses like this with one color for the facade and another for the trim all the time...but fair enough.)

E.) I'm all for criticism, really. I want it. And at least I got a couple compliments, but most of your comments to all of us who submitted shots lack tact and border on being derogatory.

F.) I should look forward to seeing a stellar, non-boring shot from you next week, right Lemon? icon_eyebrow.gif

I hope you mean well, I'm going to go ahead and assume that, but be careful with your tone and try to give more constructive and encouraging critiques in the future icon_unsettled.gif

icon_biggrin.gif It's good to hear you agree with the border! As far as DoR goes, there are some things that have black outlines there that also are relatively misplaced, but the big issue here is that you don't have anything that makes it meld with the grass... like some tuffets that stick up or something like that. My issue with it is just how much it really detracts from how awesome the house itself is. If it were recolored it'd be perfect, but as is it seems half-finished. Like a square peg just a few turns off from fitting into the hole, or something like that.

I like the idea of a challenge! I'll try to whip something together. Might be good encouragement to finally finish this damned subscreen.

The source of my main arrogance and annoyance in these comments is spawn from it's mostly the same every week. Bunch of shots that are close but suffer from one flaw or the other; but the lack of anything interesting in them is the one that I seem to see every week. This is simply and purely a contest of atheistics, gameplay plays little to no role. While a shot may be from a perfect screen in a game, when submitted here I want to see something special about it. What's so special about this small rectangle of the world this person has decided to present?

Than again, as I'm writing this, the fact that this is PureZc's shot of the week slowly returns to my mind and I remember that this really isn't that big of a thing, nor is it important, and I am expecting way to much out of it. I spend way to much time online gawking at the best of art the internet can provide; it screws with your day to day expectations.

#27 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Apr 12 2010, 01:14 AM) View Post
Than again, as I'm writing this, the fact that this is PureZc's shot of the week slowly returns to my mind and I remember that this really isn't that big of a thing, nor is it important, and I am expecting way to much out of it. I spend way to much time online gawking at the best of art the internet can provide; it screws with your day to day expectations.
I wouldn't say that you're expecting too much out of it; every contest needs a Simon or two to tell it like it is. Plus even the harshest criticism is better than "I voted for xxxx. It looks great."

#28 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:03 AM

Sheik: I rarely like stuff in that tileset (even LA) but you make it look about as good as one can. The colors are a bit odd, as they always are in that tileset, but I think they look pretty pleasant. It's a really excellent layout, btw, it looks both natural and purposeful. Good stuff.

Thanks! I'm glad someone praises the layout: my aim was it with that shot to create a screen which would be fun to play (in theory) in terms of walkabilty and purposefulness. However, I have to hardly disagree and say that I love these tiles' style, for I am a sucker for the GB Zelda titles and the nostalgia I get from looking at them. ...Good ole' days.

Sheik: Good, but it seems bland compared to your other works.

Mhm, agreed. I was trying to keep it simple, but a little bit more detail wouldn't hurt.

Sheik: Pretty basic GB screen, but I like it...especially the palette. Only thing is I've never liked seeing the aLttP bush undercombos stuck in GB. icon_shrug.gif

Thank you. The palettes is Joe123's TarmForestPalette, it's awesome, isn't it? I love it above all the other palettes in this tileset. And... ZOMFG these are aLttP-undercombos? oO D:

I voted for Sheik. Jupiter was a close second, but those houses look style-clashy to DoR.

Thanks, Dawnlight =)

Sheik: Good, simple and clean. The colours are nice and everything works well in it. Nice work. icon_smile.gif

Thank you, too, Blaman.

Sheik... pancake mountains... yuk

They are from the games "The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening/ Oracle of Seasons/Age" by Nintendo. You can find them in various tilesets submitted to the database. I am using those that are included in the EZGBZ tileset.

Sheik: I love the palette, and it's a decent shot, but I've seen a lot more creative stuff from you. icon_confused.gif

Thanks. Agreed, this isn't my most creative screen-y. I added the owl for a little eye-candy, but it's actually just a shot I created for the sake of participating in SotW to make sure there are enough shots that Ebola or Angeal can post something. Turns out there was enough without mine, but still, it's good to hear criticism on a screenshot here.

Sheik's has the essence of Tarm Ruins which compliments Link's playing the ocarina. This mood draws me into it, and so it gets my vote. The design of the screen is pleasant in general too.

Heh, yes, the Ocraina plaing sprite was another attempt to make the shot look a little more interesting icon_wink.gif Thanks for the kind words.

Sheik - 8/10
Like all good Gameboy shots, this one is smooth. The palette and the flow of the screen is great; my only complaint is that the second tree color isn't used enough and as a result the few yellow trees stick out a bit. There are also two times when you line the trees up vertically which I try never to do.
After some thought I gave this one to Sheik, as I think his shot was the cleanest here, but Jupiter also had a great shot.

Hm, yes I agree. I should fix the trees there actually. I was thinking to go without a second tree colour, but that's almost a no-go in PZC's SotW icon_wink.gif Thanks for your vote, Ebola!

So many good ideas and tiles completely wasted for a variety of reasons. Null'd icon_frown.gif

Boring. A fine shot for a game, but not an interesting one or particularly interesting.

I see where you are coming from. I have to agree on that. I should submit my more interesting shots to SotW.

Shiek: In my opinion yours has the best LOZ feel to it. I LIKE IT! icon_biggrin.gif

Yay for LOZ-feeling! Thanks for the comment.

Edit: I hate it when the quote-tags fail to work eventhough set up properly. =/

Edited by Sheik, 12 April 2010 - 08:06 AM.

#29 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

icon_biggrin.gif It's good to hear you agree with the border! As far as DoR goes, there are some things that have black outlines there that also are relatively misplaced, but the big issue here is that you don't have anything that makes it meld with the grass... like some tuffets that stick up or something like that.

Yes, there should be grass sticking up icon_unsettled.gif ...I'm pretty sure I won't need to "give these tiles to someone else" to accomplish that though, little faith as ye may have.

I like the idea of a challenge! I'll try to whip something together. Might be good encouragement to finally finish this damned subscreen.

Great! I like this...I'll see you there. icon_slycool.gif

The source of my main arrogance and annoyance in these comments is spawn from it's mostly the same every week. Bunch of shots that are close but suffer from one flaw or the other; but the lack of anything interesting in them is the one that I seem to see every week. This is simply and purely a contest of atheistics, gameplay plays little to no role. While a shot may be from a perfect screen in a game, when submitted here I want to see something special about it. What's so special about this small rectangle of the world this person has decided to present?

Ok, this makes perfect sense to me. And I like that you have high expectations and aren't going to fawn over something pedestrian. That's good. The winner of this contest shouldn't be a run of the mill shot.

But I think if you were a little more articulate about it than simply writing "boring, boring, boring" you'd come off better and it would be more helpful.

Edited by Jupiter, 12 April 2010 - 09:23 AM.

#30 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

It may be off-topic, but personally, I like the way Lemon commented. Sure, it wasn't the most polite way and such, but at least it was honest. I have nothing against "Good screen, nice work"-comments, but they are little constuctive (though, they are nice for feedback). I like honest comments, even if they are a little harsh. My art teacher is like that, lol. If he thinks something sucks, he just says it. And I've learned a lot more in the realtively short time I'm going to art school now than in my entire life before. Speaking of art and drawing and such of course.
And I wouldn't feel "attacked" or anything because of a comment on art from some more or less random internet-guy who voiced his opinion, because beauty is one of, if not the most relative things in life and so his opinion is just that - an opinion out of thousands. If I can learn anything from that, than I do so, if not, than I don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users