Tiling Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mowzr

Mowzr

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:11 AM

If this has already been discussed, then shoot me, tie me to a rock and drop me into a lake, and lock the topic and show me where the real one is, please... But I've started to make my own Link's Awakening tileset, though I heard someone else was doing one, in any case I'd still like to know these things since I'm a spriter, and I'd sometime love to do my own custom tiles... So, either way...

I'd like to have sort of a list of things that I need to put into the tileset, I basically know all the things that will be placed on screens manually (hills, houses, trees, grass.. etc.) but what other sort of things are there that I need to make sure I get? Things like the sprite for arrows being shot, etc, bomb explosions, etc.. Please help if you can.

And on another, note I really have no idea where to begin with the implementation of the tiles, how to identify them and such.. I know theres a 16 color restriction, and I'll work on staying within that boundary.. Please help.

Thanks.

#2 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

Well, if your designing the set for public use, I'm sure that people would prefer to have all the tiles in the set. icon_shrug.gif Now, if you are making your own tiles along with it, I would suggest stuff that would make the quest bmore appealing to the eye, and that can add more variety. This would be something like twigs on the ground, larger flowers, seperate torches in dungeons, and so on. icon_smile.gif

About the sprites, there's a whole lot of them. I would advise checking in another tileset and see what it has so you can tell what to add to your tileset.

Oh, BTW, I thought that I should mention that the GB Tileset has already been done. However, it's very updated, and very unorganized, and many people welcome the idea of a new, more organized GB Tileset. I'm just saying this as you might just want to download that tileset and change it. Here it is

Oh, since this deals with what stuff should be in it, I'll more it to ZQuest Design Help. icon_wink.gif

#3 Mowzr

Mowzr

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

Well, thanks, but I want to keep it black and white to make it simple. Maybe I'm lazy, or I just have a love for the gameboy. I find that it would be interesting to make a game with a gameboy pallette, and I was going to rip them straight from Link's Awakening. I'm not sure how to edit tilesets in ZQ, though.. That's my main problem as of now.

#4 FireStorm

FireStorm

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

I think I remember a topic from a long time ago where someone was going to make a GBC pallette using only Black and White...I'm not sure how that turned out.

Uh, unless you want to get yourself in deep, I wouldn't seriously mess with the GBC set. If you're new to ZC, especially don't. Start with Pure, and then come back later once you've learned the basics.

Gashin is already making a serious LA tileset, which isn't too far from release, I think. Not to burst your bubble, but I would try something else. Go right ahead if you want to, though.

There is a way you COULD contribute to the GBC set I have, because I'm considering updating the GBC set (considering only). If you have any loose, obscure GBC tiles like in the Oracles, I could take them. Or we could team up. Either way, I would not suggest doing it on your own.

#5 Mowzr

Mowzr

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:43 AM

I'm not doing a GBC set, its going to have that wierd greenish tint that gameboy games had to it, I'm ripping it straight from Link's Awakening, but I doubt I'll do it anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users