What do you think of these tiles?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

READ: There is a more recent shot farther down on the page. Thank you.

user posted image

Now, before you say that there's nothing going on in this shot and everything, I know. It's taken from Z-Quest (hense, no Link) and is very elementary. I've been making these tiles for a while now, and I need to know what people think of them. They're all custom, made after reading the tilemaking guide that someone linked to a while back.

Conserning strictly the tiles, what would you change? What more should I add?

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

(note : NOT hosted at filespace because of the petition)

Edited by lord_jamitossi, 19 March 2005 - 05:14 PM.

#2 Aaron

Aaron

AKA partymetroid

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:11 PM

Wow! Those tiles are excellent icon_wink.gif . The only thing I can say to change is maybe adding a little more detail to the water, maybe waves or something.

#3 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, the water is a little flat right now. When it's animated it makes waves on the shore of cource (which are actually done pretty well, thought I have to add one frame to make it more smooth).

One thing I neglected to mention is that I have virturally no talent in sprite-making. Does anyone know of any other tutorials for that?

EDIT: for further reference, http://tsugumo.swoo.net/tutorial/ is the tutorial I'm talking about and the "someone" who linked to it was Freedom. I got un-lazy.

Hey, I'm a senior now. Cool!

Edited by lord_jamitossi, 17 March 2005 - 06:20 PM.

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

Congratulasimo! icon_kawaii.gif

Okay. L_J, that screenshot, .. is very nice. It is. It definitely is. A few points:

The sand isn't so hot. It looks like someone dragged their foot through it diagonally, and started over a bit lower. But you're definitely on the right track. Maybe randomize those dark spots. THAT, will make it look like top notch sand. icon_thumbsup.gif

#5 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:40 PM

I like it alot and I want it. icon_razz.gif Great Job on this. I going to start reading this also.

#6 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

!!!

Wow, I can't say I was expecting a "Congratulasimo!". And yes, I quite concur that the sand is sub-par. I'll work on that a bit. The tutorial was the most helpful for making the trees. That's all one ball of green overlapped again and again... And the stumps are the stumps from the dead tree tiles in one of the tilesets (I can't say I remeber which).

I'm considering restarting The Silver Pendant (not that it's moving ahead too quickly anyways) to encorporate tiles like these. Good idea?

#7 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:27 PM

Wow...great tutorial...I amazed. I learned ALOT of things I can do. Thanks for the tutorial. I think you should make the SP quest into this tileset.

#8 Aaron

Aaron

AKA partymetroid

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

I started reading that tutorial and now I know even more icon_biggrin.gif ! By next year I'll be unstoppable icon_superevil.gif ...maybe not icon_heh.gif . But, I'd like to download that, so I don't have to tie up the phone line while reading it.

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:10 PM

Well, I see a lot of good stuff and things-for-improvement already mentioned... so I'll just comment on two things not mentioned yet.

Nice house and tree. icon_smile.gif You're tending towards a style quite like Ccc's, which doesn't rely so much on outlines. I suggest you soften your outlines, if you keep using this style throughout the quest; particularly the tree.

This could be said about the house, too, though not to as much of an extent. It's a nice house, but I might recommend that you make it look more like an overhead view. That's a judgement call, though.

Also, nice grass. Needs slightly better transitions, but it's a very good use of limited color, which is always a good thing with grass. How many greens are being employed there? Two, or three?...

#10 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

I very much see what you mean about the outlines, Radien. Thanks for the tip.

Now, to the grass. What do you mean by transitions? If it's the borders with the sand, I know. It's pretty weak right now. The grass is made of two colours, with a third to make the plants and stuff. The third is actually used in the tree, too (little sniblet of information).

Now to get working on my quest... Not tonight. Mabye tomorrow.

#11 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:09 AM

Those are some fine looking tiles you have there. I do think adding some specks to the water may help out the 'flatness.' I really can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned already. icon_biggrin.gif Super job.

#12 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Hooya!!!

• Members

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:11 PM

Not bad. Alls I can say is lessen the definition on the tree leaves. The outline is a little thick, but not too bad.

Honestly, though, it's a much better job than I can do.

#13 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

I'm back! With an update!

user posted image

I hated the sand, so I changed it. I got rid of the black borders on the trees, and I fixed up the house. I havn't yet added waves to the water because I don't know how I want to approach that yet.

What do you think now?

#14 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

Looks even better. Good job! icon_biggrin.gif

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:15 PM

.. icon_drool.gif .. Oh hot dayamn, L_J! O_O I haven't seen custom tile art this good since I managed to slice a cup of tea in half in 1947 ... ...

The absolute only thing that I can even try to think of to improve, is the shoreline. There's a chance that there's a bit too much white where the foam should be. If you could only get one extra slightly darker white color in there, and scatter it a bit amongst the white, you could have some formidable shores there, man. icon_wink.gif icon_thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users