Custom boss fire breath

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:26 AM

Okay... I've started drawing a fire-breathing custom boss. However, mere fire-shooters will not do this boss justice.

I would love to use a Gleeok 2 or a Gohma 4 for their flame "breath" attacks, but I'm afraid neither of them will be very useful because of their nature: both move around, and neither of them can be placed at will using either enemy flags or walk flags.

I need a more effective way to create fire. I could draw and combo cycle something, but really: I want chaos. Waves of hot flaming death. Widespread burnination. icon_biggrin.gif This will most likely be a level 5 boss, so it needs to be challenging. Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should try out?

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

Hey, interesting idea. icon_biggrin.gif Perhaps it should have its own Cset amidst the boss. Maybe rip a couple of fires. (Google Fire breath? icon_shrug.gif ) It shouldn't be hellishly (no pun intended whatsoever) difficult to draw some flames though. I mean, you could have a flame shockwave, a flame trail, a flame bolt, a flame ball, a shrimp cocktail, sauteed shrimp, gumbop shrimp, .... Oh my .... I've crossed some sort of interdimensional media rift. icon_blink.gif

Heh. Bubba. icon_sweat.gif

Well, what sort of attacks did you foresee Volvagia your boss having? icon_shrug.gif

#3 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:09 PM

Here is what I am thinking. Have you ever played Sonic and Knuckles? Well remember the last boss? Well what if you made a huge beam of fire that will hit Link and hurt him if he doesn't get out of the way. (See pic below if you don's get why I linked Sonic and Knuckles with this.)
user posted image

If you still don't understand what I mean then tell me and I will try to put it in better words. (My vocabulary isn't that great. :\)

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:01 PM

BH4:

I anticipate giving the boss its own CSet, which will be similar to CSet 8, but with some greys and other colors added.

QUOTE(BH4 @ Mar 9 2005, 07:44 AM)
Well, what sort of attacks did you foresee Volvagia your boss having? icon_shrug.gif

Bah... you guessed. icon_wink.gif Oh well... Volvagia could have any sort of attack, since they'll all be flaming. I am, however, planning on the lava pools spitting fire at certain intervals. So yes, there'll be lava pools, and he'll probably pop up out of them, although his main fire attack may only occur from the pool at the top-center of the screen.

Come to think of it... I've made some combo-cycling falling rocks for another boss, and I could reuse them a little here. It'd be in keeping for Volvagia to knock rocks from the ceiling. icon_smile.gif

Linkman90:

Well, I haven't played that game, but "fire beam" says it all. Yes, a fire "beam" is a possibility... but it'd be more Volvagia-like to have spreading fire breath, etc. I might still use a straight trail of fire breath, though. icon_smile.gif

#5 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

my suggestion is combo cycles, and damage combos, (so the fire can hurt) and possibly statues under a layer.

But if that wasn't what you were aiming for...i have nothing else to offer. icon_blink.gif

#6 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

No fair! I was gonna guess Volvagia!

#7 idontknow

idontknow

• Members

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

Hmm..i would say draw tiles of gleeok flames overlapping the regular floor and use them for damage 1 type combos that cycle to regular floor combos, that eventually cycle back to the flames when you want them to appear again.

You can also have a seperate set of combos where rocks fall down the screen or maybe you can just use the rock enemies.

For a final attack, maybe after you hit the boss a certain number of times, carefully using secret flags or a warp, you can make it so that the boss starts jumping in the air & by carefully timing such an attack with a new set of cycling combos that looks like a sort of "shockwave", you can have the boss cause a damaging earthquake that harms link should he be too close!

#8 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

Now a boss of that caliber would take about a month to make. icon_lol.gif

Good 'ol Volvagia.

Edited by zmaster, 16 March 2005 - 10:36 PM.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:01 AM

Do not worry Radien, I'm sure you'll figure something out icon_wink.gif

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

Indeed. icon_odd.gif idontknow's ideas would be cool, but would take forever to implement. I think I'd rather save that for a later boss, mostly because I need practice before I can handle anything that difficult.

It occured to me that I can make the Gleeok2 invisible, and use its fire breath with my own graphics. However, the head floats around while it spits fire, which is a problem. I might just make the "head" a floating ball of flame that circles around Volvagia.

Thanks for all your replies. icon_smile.gif

#11 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:30 AM

Yeah, you could do that also, Radien. Make the Gleeok2 stay invisible, that way you can still use your tiles, and your flame balls. But you are right about the head moving around. Hmm.. Not really sure what you can do with the head moving around..

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:34 AM

Well, when I said "make it a flaming ball," what I was implying was that I'd delete all the tiles for Gleeok2 in the tile editor except for the head, and then make the "head" tiles into flaming balls of fire. Of course, I wouldn't be able to use the Gleeok2 as a regular enemy if I did that.

It's not perfect, but it might be the best I can manage. :\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users