Tales of Phantasia Battle System

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Welcome to the latest random scripting project by LTM! But just to warn you, it's not done with yet, and may not be for quite some time. icon_frown.gif And that's assuming I'll finish it. But here we go anyway!

I started this project today because I wanted a challenge. icon_razz.gif Something that would be fairly neat and very uncommon in the ZC world. And, since I'm a big Tales fan, this was the most obvious choice.

So I started to work, and I've made a bit of progress. Take a look at these two videos:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RisNfObpPhk

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FMxwilF3oig

Things I've gotten to work:
1. Movement
2. Different poses
3. Scrolling background

Things I plan on doing: (In this order.)
1. Running
2. Attacking (just slashes)
3. Enemies (very simple ones, mind you)
4. Menu and health screen
5. Special abilities

Obviously there's a lot more things that have to be done before this is finished, but I just wanted to share with you all something that I've been working on. icon_frown.gif I'll use this topic for other videos as well as releasing the code if I decide to do so.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Edited by LinktheMaster, 03 August 2008 - 03:20 PM.

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:02 PM

This is way awesome...
Perfect work! I REALLY can't wait to see this finished.
A good friend of me once said "scripting will be the death of ZeldaClassic"
I agreed... NOW, I can say that I, and he, where SO wrong.
Scripting has proven to be the FUTURE... it's all for the greater good!! icon_biggrin.gif

#3 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:07 PM

Wouldn't stuff like this and Grik...uh...yeah that thing (gah, **** you gleeok I can never remember that name) prove that it is killing Zelda Classic. icon_wink.gif

Nah, I'm just playing but this is very impressive so far. Looking very much like the SNES classic.

Edited by Plissken, 03 August 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#4 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the support. icon_smile.gif Hopefully it won't fail to meet your expectations!

#5 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

Dude... this is ZC not RPG Maker... but even still... Oh my god...

#6 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

That looks quite nice... I want the scrolling part of that script. (I'd be good for a 2D project I'd really want to do.) X:

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:13 AM

This is pretty fancy.
I'm guessing it's not that complicated a script either, just locks Link's inputs inside a box in the middle of the screen, and has a drawtile which scrolls along and wraps around when he is moving against the edges of that locked area?
I like the character spirte too.
Much better than having Z1 Link there.

Does Tales of Phantasia have enemy encounters (like Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia or something) or is it always in this kind of view?

QUOTE(Plissken @ Aug 3 2008, 10:07 PM) View Post
it is killing Zelda Classic. icon_wink.gif

Hell yeah, Kirby's not helping that either =P

And who said that anyway Migo?

#8 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Aug 4 2008, 05:13 AM) View Post

This is pretty fancy.
I'm guessing it's not that complicated a script either, just locks Link's inputs inside a box in the middle of the screen, and has a drawtile which scrolls along and wraps around when he is moving against the edges of that locked area?

Does Tales of Phantasia have enemy encounters (like Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia or something) or is it always in this kind of view?

It's not really that much of a script at the moment. There's about 10 variables to keep up with and several if statements, but it's not that hard or long at all. The hard part won't come until I get into attacks and precise collision detection. Then again, that won't be so much hard as it will be tedious.

And it's random battles, but I'm not sure if I'll do that part. I'm doubt I'll be making this into an actual quest. It's more of just a concept demo to show off what exactly can be done with ZC. If you completely write up your own engine, then you can do quite a bit. icon_razz.gif But, then again, when you get up to that level, you might as well just work with allegro or another game making library. It would be a lot more efficient that way.

#9 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Aug 4 2008, 04:13 AM) View Post

This is pretty fancy.

Hell yeah, Kirby's not helping that either =P
And who said that anyway Migo?

Matthew Broderick, if I recall correctly icon_wink.gif
(While he was running from godzilla)
I believe this is his exact quote:
Holy ****, this is KILLING Zelda Classic!!!

Now, in all seriosity, I think it was MatthewPZC who said so...

#10 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

OMG!!!! YES!!!! But...OMG!!! NOO!!!! Okay...
I REALLY WANT THIS, icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif Like, REALLY bad, but I can't see what It looks like cause I have a stupid filter on my computer that blocks youtube. T_T Noooooo....Can you post screens? Or something? I'm a huge Tales nerd. >.<

#11 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

I'll try to get some out once I get Cless's attacks worked out. icon_smile.gif

#12 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Yaaay! icon_bounce.gif icon_xd.gif I never really played ToP, but I want to play it REALLY bad! O.O *looks on ebay* I'm gonna assume that the battle system is simillar to ToS, ToA, or ToW or something similar. icon_smile.gif I can't wait to see it! icon_biggrin.gif

#13 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Naldrag @ Aug 3 2008, 07:12 PM) View Post

That looks quite nice... I want the scrolling part of that script. (I'd be good for a 2D project I'd really want to do.) X:

The scrolling part isn't as nice as you may think, unfortunately. It's just DrawTiles, so there's no solidity. icon_unsettled.gif

Anyway, I've gotten a bit further. icon_smile.gif As I said in the video comments, I'm not sure exactly how much more all do since this is mostly just a concept demo. I have no plans to make a full quest out of this due to the lack of time.

But, I've added one attack for Cless, the basics of an enemy (lul, Aquamentus) and running. Don't worry, I'll get away from the Aquamentus, I just needed something for a place holder. icon_blah.gif

Pictures:
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Video:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gLFGGZ_iyr4

And yeah, at the moment I have a Twilight Princess Link sound effects for the slash. icon_frown.gif

#14 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

Have my babies.
What special moves do you plan on doing?

Edited by gray0x, 04 August 2008 - 11:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users