Photo

Composition Homunculii

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

-Dungeon Design
This is a tricky one since I would like to create something new, using new ideas, and not re-hash previous ideas simply because they were good. Getting a good balance is going to be tough so I've broken the game down into phases which I think will cover a lot of ground:
* Fortresses: First 3 levels will consist of these, where there is many small tactical battles and the goal is to collect many hearts and items from each. New ideas, enemies, scripts, and mechanics will slowly be introduced throughout.
* Arenas and Carnage Sequences: There will be many enemies here with little to no puzzles, though if I can stick in some large puzzles I will. Fighting skills will be pushed to the limits. Likely 3 Arenas and one Carnage Sequence per good collectible item. "Total Carnage!"
* Dungeonscapes: Anything and everything else. This should give enough freedom to come up with interesting ideas. Puzzles will likely span entire maps and utilize scripting, so there will be very few of them. I don't do push-block puzzles.

-Player
Still undecided as to the exact number of new mechanics that will be at the disposal of the player, however this much is certain:
* Confirmed teleport ability(s). If case you haven't seen this yet, the player has the ability to teleport almost anywhere on screen with a few button presses - this leads to some amazing outside-the-box thinking for tough fights, and is also very fun!
* Some type of skill-based power up abilities. Basically you have enchants instead of the uber-items (like the red ring for example) and either have to increase one attribute or another. So for example you can raise defense or attack, but not both. Not entirely sure--still in the design phase.

-Rupees
* It is pretty clear to me that rupees are a waste of space in challenge quests. Take these 3 examples:
-James Quest: Every penny simply goes to life/money rooms and bomb upgrades. Period. And I never even have enough for that, so I have to play the entire game with 8 bombs until you get to LV 9-10, and by then who cares anyway? Forget about buying the boomerang...
- Armageddon Quest: Either you've never played it and grind to buy keys you can't seem to find, or you have everything memorized and end up with nothing to buy except /you know what/ and you probably grinded for that early on.
- LoH: No... Just wait 'til James gets audited in LoH2: The taxman cometh! :P

So instead rupees will be like trophies. There will be extra tough fights scattered throughout the world and every one will drop a "trophy". Every time you look up at the rupee counter you will think "damn, I earned those". Collect enough and maybe you can access a bonus dungeon?

Item Drops:
* All item drops will be modified to give more consistent items based on enemy type and enemies won't drop rupees. No longer will you get lucky or unlucky drops, which can make or break a run, and they will be more consistent.

Triforces: Sure, why not. Maybe these can unlock shortcuts in the bonus dungeon or something.
Keys:
* Borrowed from Gauntlet and Smash TV is the "collect 10 keys" gimmick. The idea is that if you are good enough you can not use up all the keys and can save them for something later on. Although it is not needed as conserving keys is likely suicide in some places. Still working on it. At the least, keys will open up shortcuts.

"Continue here" rooms: At least one before every boss fight and maybe more depending.

Enemies:
I've already got over 300 enemies with no signs of stopping. I'm using the DoR palettes for this reason - they are easily identifiable and mostly color-coordinated so you don't have to relearn enemies all over again. What kinds of enemies you say? Well there is already over 12 keeses (my favorite is the flying egg that hatches into a bomb-orock - better kill it fast!) so you can guess the number of wizzrobes is more than that! :D
* Undead: Normally these guys are a joke so I've bumped them up a bit. They now drain magic upon touch. Skeleton types are immune to the boomerang, fire, and 1/4 damage from arrows. And there is a Darknut-stalfos hybrid that fires swords (still halts). In addition, when the strong ones are nearby a new ability emerges: Synergistic spontaneous telekenisis (lol) in which every enemy type gains the ability to swap with another enemy and teleport. Yes, I am that crazy. (Wait till they do it with wizzrobes, summoners, bosses, and bats.. You will want to kill me!!! Mwahhahaha!) ;)

Bosses: Should be plenty of custom bosses, though these usually get done later on in development.
Mini Bosses: Normally boss-type enemies are rarely used, but there will be tons of interesting mini boss battles. LV1 already has 6.

All for now. Will update later as things progress.

Suggestions are welcome.

#2 yowza

yowza

Initiate

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

-Rupees
* It is pretty clear to me that rupees are a waste of space in challenge quests.

It was sort of done well in Liberation - you start with max rupees and if you take damage you go to buy a single heart for 20 or so rupees in the dungeon, acting as a mini checkpoint/medicine system.

I also like hearing of some of the new enemies as regular quests are too predictable with the combat. Will some of these enemies be able to move/shoot 'diagonally' so you can't stand half a block down and avoid their projectiles? Or maybe a wizzrobe can fire a projectile that takes up the row above and below it so even your side slash will have trouble hitting it.

#3 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

The more I read about this, the more it sounds like the project I have been working on. Challenge quest, entire maps that are puzzles, new enemies. It's bizarrely similar.

I wish you good luck on the quest! I obviously approve of design choices! :lol:

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Strike: Thanks. I always enjoy playing challenge quests so don't keep yours a secret from me and good luck to you as well!

It was sort of done well in Liberation - you start with max rupees and if you take damage you go to buy a single heart for 20 or so rupees in the dungeon, acting as a mini checkpoint/medicine system.

True, the system was interesting and calculated, and it worked ok. Problem is I don't like the idea of having dungeon shops all over the place. I also like getting a variety of item drops from different enemy types.

Scripted enemies are easily doable, though I have nowhere near exhausted the ideas for normal enemies yet. The "half block down" thing is always an issue I consider, and hitboxes may also be addressed further in 2.5.1 or 2.6.

If you have any specific ideas for enemies, bosses, or rooms I would love to hear them. It's sometimes true that the strongest players don't have the patience for making quests, which is a shame, but if you would like to contribute in any way let me know, I would be glad to have some input of a veteran player. Cheers.

#5 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:38 AM

I was already going to ask you to beta test when I thought the game was sufficiently along, so no, I'm not going to be very secretive.

I again say that this looks great. Keep up the good work! ;)

#6 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Keese. Many Keese. Thats cool

#7 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

Looks interesting, but IDK if I can get used to the teleporting mechanic, it threw me for a loop in your 2-week contest. But it's interesting and hopefully something different, time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users