Cane of Byrna

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi everyone, I have a problem woth the Cane of Byrna.
That weapons needs a lot of magic, even if I set the magic-need of the weapon to "1". That's, because the cane of Byrna needs 1 magic per tick (60 Magic per seconds). So I can use that weapon only for a few seconds.
Is there a way, to make the cane of byrna using the magic only one time (after pressing "A" or "B")? If not, is there a way, that the cane of byrna needs less magic, than 1 per tick?

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

If the Cane of Byrna used magic only once, you would essentially be invincible. Is that really what you want?

#3 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

Then I would be invincible for one screen, sounds good to me. icon_wink.gif
The problem is, that I want the cane of byrna as a weapon in my quest, but when it takes the whole magicbar in a few seconds, it is useless for me.

(sorry for my bad english)

#4 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

So, you want the Cane of Byrna to only use up Magic when you activate it, correct? Not at a steady rate, but just once?

This is only a rough start, but setting the Cane's Magic to 0 and then attaching this to it as a Use Item Script might solve your case.

CODE
item script CaneMagic
{
  void run(int MAmount)
  {
    Link->MP -= MAmount;
  }
}

You want to set "D0" to the amount of Magic it'll cost. Remember, one Magic Container amounts to 32 units of Magic, in coding terms. If you want the Cane to use up, say, 3 Magic Containers, you'd simply multiply 32 by 3 and put "96" in the D0 slot.

However, I'm not sure that my script prevents the player from wasting his Magic by activating the Cane multiple times on one screen. Let me know how it works; if it has that bug, I'll see about installing an "already-activated" check. icon_kawaii.gif Hope this helps!

#5 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:28 AM

Yeah, it works, thank you very much. =)

The only bug is that Link also uses up magic, when he deactivates the cane of byrna. Could you install such a "allready-activated"-check please? icon_smile.gif
Or if it is possible (and not too complicated), something that the cane of byna cannot be deactivated? (only by going to another screen)

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

When you check the "remove item when used" box, then it would work exactly how Settra wants it. (Item would only deactivate when leaving screen; Only uses mana when activating)
But then the player would lose the item. You could make something like a Byrna-Potion.

Just saying icon_lol.gif

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE(Avataro @ Nov 18 2010, 07:38 AM) View Post

When you check the "remove item when used" box, then it would work exactly how Settra wants it. (Item would only deactivate when leaving screen; Only uses mana when activating)
But then the player would lose the item. You could make something like a Byrna-Potion.

Just saying icon_lol.gif

That's a great idea. I might actually use this in my own quest. It'll give us a bit more for consumable items as opposed to just potions. Maybe there are some other interesting items that might provide an interesting and more strategical respect if you only had one use of it... Hm...

#8 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

@Avataro:
I wanted to use the cane of byrna, since I played your Quest, but in an other way, than you.
I don't want to use it as a potion. I want to use it instead of "Farores Wind. So I have another powerful magic-weapon instead of this useless teleport-item. That's the reason, why I want it to use magic only one time (as Din's Fire & Nayru's Love).

#9 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

But isn't cane of byrna the same as nayrus love?

#10 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

No... Nayru's love gives you immunity to damage but you still get knocked back normally. The Cane of Byrna makes you invincible and damages nearby enemies while constantly draining magic.

Despite their differences, it does seem odd to put two items with similar purposes in the same category.

Edited by MoscowModder, 18 November 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#11 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

If you don't tick of "penatrates enemies", the beams will disappear after hitting an enemy, so there is a bigger different between them.

Look at AlttP: There are three medals that have nearly the same effect.

To the script:
There is another problem:
If the magicbar is empty you can still activate and deactivate the cane of byrna.

#12 Purplemandown

Purplemandown

The Old Guard

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

CODE
item script CaneMagic
{
  void run(int MAmount)
  {
    bool active = false;
    if (Link->MP >= MAmount && active == false){
        Link->MP -= MAmount;
        active = true;
    }
    else if (active == true){
        active = false;
    }
  }
}

See if this works. If it doesn't, let me know.

#13 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:25 PM

What exactly does the variable "active" do? Where is the code that stops the magic from continuing?

#14 Purplemandown

Purplemandown

The Old Guard

• Members

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

If I understand the Cane of Bryna correctly, than when you use it, it is activated, and when you use it again, it deactivates. I don't know for sure, seeing as I haven't ever used it, so I really can't say, but... Each time you use it, both the state and variable switch. This prevents magic loss on deactivation. (IF the cane doesn't work like this, let me know, and I can fix it...)

#15 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:56 AM

The effect is the same with the new script. But thank you for tying it. icon_smile.gif

I don't want to go on your nerves any more, so I think, I will use Avataros method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users