New Super Mario Bros. Wii

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 creatorofchaos

creatorofchaos

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

What did you guys think about New super mario bros .WII?I think it will be fun to play a mario with my parents,because they both love mario.I'm glad yoshi coming back though.

#2 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

Well, from what I know so far, it's basically Super Mario Galaxy V2.0, that is to say, the new content should have been in the first place. It's just a rehash of the old. I'll take my statement back if they implement a TRUE two-player mode, however, be it player 2 is Luigi or Yoshi.

#3 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Jun 8 2009, 10:51 PM) View Post

Well, from what I know so far, it's basically Super Mario Galaxy V2.0, that is to say, the new content should have been in the first place. It's just a rehash of the old. I'll take my statement back if they implement a TRUE two-player mode, however, be it player 2 is Luigi or Yoshi.

He means the remake of the DS game for the Wii. (New Super Mario Bros Wii.)

#4 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

Huh, well...oops! icon_redface.gif

Errr, well, Yoshi and characters other than Mario and Luigi and Toads should still be in there. Otherwise, looks good. Not sure how highly in demand it would be.

Edited by SwordOfSeals, 08 June 2009 - 11:13 PM.

#5 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Jun 9 2009, 12:12 AM) View Post

Errr, well, Yoshi and characters other than Mario and Luigi and Toads should still be in there. Otherwise, looks good. Not sure how highly in demand it would be.

Ummm...

Yoshi IS in... He's ridable. Haven't you seen the stuff from the Nintendo Channel on the Wii, or read all the coverage on it? Each player is able to get his/her own Yoshi to ride on during the game. :O

Me, I'm actually crossing my fingers and hoping that they either replace the Toads with Wario and Waluigi, so Waluigi can finally be considered canon (though I expect most of you to instantly go "EWW NO NOT WALUIGI" when reading this remark, just like most other people I've mentioned it to...it disgusts me), or add them in ALONG with the Toads, and you get to choose which character you want to play as during the game, even in single-player...

...though, this is unlikely, as Miyamoto said the game's already pushing the limits so much, there's no room for Wi-fi stuff...

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

The lack of Wi-fi ruined it for me. I was thinking of getting it before that announcement. icon_neutral.gif A game like this... has to have online, and there's no way it could really be pushing the Wii that much when I've seen games like The Conduit or The Grinder which are full 3D games that have online play. -_-

#7 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(Matthew @ Jun 9 2009, 12:19 AM) View Post

Haven't you seen the stuff from the Nintendo Channel on the Wii, or read all the coverage on it?

Ummm...no, I haven't. I just saw what they put out in the first day E3 thing for Nintendo. Ridable Yoshis for all, eh? Sounds good! But still, definitely characters other than Toads for both Player 3 and 4. Toad (the red spotted one) woulda been fine for Player 3, but Player 4 shouldn't copied of someone else. Hell, why not a Mii instead another Toad? <_<

#8 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Personally, I think a SMB2 line-up would have been really good, as well as appropriate (since this is technically NSMB2). Two Toads just sounds kinda lazy. That said, though, I really like the idea of a multiplayer co-op. That alone puts this on a should-definitely-buy list.

Edited by Ricky of Kokiri, 09 June 2009 - 01:50 PM.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jun 9 2009, 12:44 AM) View Post

The lack of Wi-fi ruined it for me. I was thinking of getting it before that announcement. icon_neutral.gif A game like this... has to have online, and there's no way it could really be pushing the Wii that much when I've seen games like The Conduit or The Grinder which are full 3D games that have online play. -_-

A comment like that says you need more friends that are closer to home. icon_razz.gif Just kidding.

I'll hope to play it, but chances aren't very likely. Pity that. Surprising this hasn't gotten too much attention. We always whine on and on about how nothing's like the old days...

#10 unspec4

unspec4

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

if it had wfc support, I'd probably be in for buying it. The game is based around the multiplayer support, but it doesn't support wfc? That's silly imo. I won't have people around to play it with me, so it's a probable no go for me.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE(Matthew @ Jun 8 2009, 09:19 PM) View Post
Me, I'm actually crossing my fingers and hoping that they either replace the Toads with Wario and Waluigi, so Waluigi can finally be considered canon (though I expect most of you to instantly go "EWW NO NOT WALUIGI" when reading this remark, just like most other people I've mentioned it to...it disgusts me), or add them in ALONG with the Toads, and you get to choose which character you want to play as during the game, even in single-player...

Nahh, not everyone thinks that. Personally, I think it's perfectly fine to have Waluigi. I mean, it doesn't make any less sense than Wario being Mario's baddie counterpart. Well, even though there's no explanation for either of them that I've ever been made aware of...

The one thing that bugs me is that Waluigi's name contains a great pun that only translates properly in Japanese. Rs and Ls are pronounced the same in Japanese, so they say his name "Waruigi." The joke is that "warui" means "bad" in Japanese. The pun extends to Wario's name, of course, but in his case there was a happy coincidence, since the word "War" also has an appropriate meaning in English. Waluigi's name, on the other hand, sounds like a cheap spin-off of Wario to the ears of English speakers.

Anyway, I just hoped this post would make you feel better, or at least make you say "Hunh. Didn't know that." icon_razz.gif

#12 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

I hope it's actually hard. At E3, they said that if you were having trouble you could just invite a friend over. It doesn't look like I'll be having any trouble with this one...

#13 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

theres probably a character select screen similar to what you see in SSB:B

#14 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 10 2009, 07:43 AM) View Post

The one thing that bugs me is that Waluigi's name contains a great pun that only translates properly in Japanese. Rs and Ls are pronounced the same in Japanese, so they say his name "Waruigi." The joke is that "warui" means "bad" in Japanese. The pun extends to Wario's name, of course, but in his case there was a happy coincidence, since the word "War" also has an appropriate meaning in English. Waluigi's name, on the other hand, sounds like a cheap spin-off of Wario to the ears of English speakers.

Really? I heard that it was just the "wa" part that meant "bad", thus keeping the pun in both languages because it's still the exact same thing...though, people won't even get the Wario pun if they don't know about that "bad" thing. (No pun intended on the last two words.)

Anyways, I, too, am skeptical about why they couldn't put in online multiplayer when SSBB has it and it's a DOUBLE-LAYERED DISC. Maybe those things are really expensive and they can't afford to do it again for NSMB Wii? Or maybe they ARE using it, and yet somehow, what they say about it pushing the Wii to its limits is true?

Or worse yet, maybe it's not a storage issue, but a MEMORY issue. Like, the game uses up a TON of processing power on the 4-player co-op ALONE. ...though I fail to see how this is possible with, again, SSBB.

#15 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Matthew @ Jun 10 2009, 11:10 AM) View Post

Or worse yet, maybe it's not a storage issue, but a MEMORY issue. Like, the game uses up a TON of processing power on the 4-player co-op ALONE. ...though I fail to see how this is possible with, again, SSBB.

Maybe it has to do with the size of the stages? I think it'd be appropriate to assume that the memory required for an SSBB stage is less than a NSMB stage. Not only do you have the size of the stages, you also have enemies and items and various nuances like that. Maybe. Not sure if this is a good example, but the Wireless Download play for the DS game had stages that were signicantly shorter than the main game stages they were based on. Hypothetically, this could be avoided by cutting the stages into pieces that are loaded as necessary (which can be adequately done with warp pipes), but who knows? icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users