Windows Media Player on Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

For some reason, whenever I play MIDIs on the Windows Media Player that came with my new Windows Vista computer, there are some sounds left out. Plus, no matter what I try in the options, my downloaded music still doesn't sound right. What do I have to do in order to fix the problem with these missing sounds?

#2 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

It might be your sound card. The problem with midis is that it's left up to the sound card to provide the different sounds for each instrument; therefore, if you have a bad sound card, you might not have all of the sounds that another computer would have.

It's happened to me a lot, particularly on laptop computers.

If this is indeed the problem, then you would have to get a new sound card.

But, that's only if it occurs in all programs on your computer. Does this only happen on Windows Media Player?

#3 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

Actually, I'm only having this problem with Windows Media Player. I didn't have this problem when I tried Quick Time (though it did sound different from what it would normally sound like, and it also crashes my computer a lot.)

Edited by Pokegamer1989, 07 October 2007 - 05:50 PM.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:59 AM

QuickTime uses a generic Roland GS wavetable in software. I don't know a lot about actually running Vista (I've tried to stay away from it as much as possible) but I do know that it does dumb down the quality of most audio as some kind of piracy countermeasure.

Try playing the MIDIs in something else (except for QuickTime) - see if they give you the same problem WMP does.

#5 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

I tried playing one of my MIDIs in the RealPlayer, and I got the same problem from WMP.
(I also tried iTunes, but I didn't have that problem with it. Because it sounded the same as with Quick Time.)

Edited by Pokegamer1989, 22 September 2007 - 11:54 AM.

#6 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

yeah i have this problam too but i thought it was becasue it was a laptop
well so it is VISTA

Yeah so use a dreifeent player like quick time thats how i'm going about it

#7 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

Hmmm... I have to admit that my Vista WMP still plays back correctly, with it using the default Microsoft GM WaveTable (speaking of which, why, Microsoft, have you not upgraded the samples now that everyone's machines are beefier. Some of your instrument sounds are S**T!) One annoying Vista "feature" is that they're redone all of the sound/hardware options so you can't choose different options for MIDI output. As I write this, I'm suddenly thinking that some MIDI keyboards would be useles...

I've had a quick Google and haven't found any clues so far I'm afraid... I think you may just have to wait for a Windows Update for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users