• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#46 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jan 30 2008, 08:38 PM) View Post

I keep thinking of a forum with one or two members here who are moderators, who have the power to approve any posts and threads made. Naturally, that implies that all posts and threads made within such a forum would be moderated, meaning they would remain entirely invisible until approved by said moderators.

Moderators not meaning staff, but meaning two members put in charge of the forum.
But .. er .. I'm just thinking aloud, sort of.
Of course, most, if not all, threads would be approved; it is DS, after all. I think that doing this might be a little bit too restrictive, but I'm all for operating it similarly to the debate forum- that is, you can get banned from DS specifically for posting insulting and/or unacceptable material. That might increase the thought that goes into making a post there. icon_shrug.gif

But .. er .. I'm just thinking aloud, sort of. icon_nerd.gif

#47 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

So DS is gone eh... it was dying down anyway. It wasn't near as good as it was in 2004-2005 where the topics were actually funny, now they just got repetitive and stupid... the only topics I'd like to see moved to other forums would be #PureZC Quotes and KTT, everything else I could personally care less about.

Edited by Naldrag, 30 January 2008 - 11:17 PM.

#48 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:24 PM

But the problem lies in the fact that DS can be used to unwind, to to speak. It's like another board I go to, Nightfall. They have a forum called "Needle Pudding". It's just like DS. It's there for fun. But everyone thinks that means it's okay to spam. Yet the forum never gets taken away. Ever. :/ But people say it's a good place for them to unwind from their stress. Okay, lemme get to the point.

If you HAVE to think to post there, what's the point of it? It'd just be a General Discussion or Message Board Games clone. D: What I think is that yes, there should be rules, and yes, there should be moderators for it. But the rules should be a BIT lenient, if only to allow people to unwind. HOWEVER! I believe that the rules should be STRICTLY enforced. Like.... You get VERY few warnings. The rules would be lenient- Why should that mean that you should get chance after chance after chance? D: I think that DS Bans should come quick, yet be short at first. Yes, when and IF DS comes back, if it has such a system, greater leniency will be added for a short while so people may become used to the system... Say, 2-4 months of extra leniency. Maybe less, but days seem to go quickly for me. Anyways, after that period, the rules would be enforced strictly. No games, no fooling around- People need to learn what's acceptable and what isn't. Am I right? I'm probably thinking of things WAY too strict, but if you're not strict, people will never learn. Too strict, though, and you scare them to the point where they stay away entirely.

Sigh... There's my two bits, and think about it. I might be chock-full of ideas you could use, despite me actually trying to avoid DS for the stupidity in it. To tell you the truth, it was the huge pics and insulting pics that got me... Just thought I'd share that with you. (If anything, the insulting pics should be things that rules should be VERY strictly enforced on.)

#49 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE(Matthew @ Jan 31 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post
But the problem lies in the fact that DS can be used to unwind, to to speak. It's like another board I go to, Nightfall. They have a forum called "Needle Pudding". It's just like DS. It's there for fun. But everyone thinks that means it's okay to spam. Yet the forum never gets taken away. Ever. :/ But people say it's a good place for them to unwind from their stress. Okay, lemme get to the point.

If you HAVE to think to post there, what's the point of it? It'd just be a General Discussion or Message Board Games clone. D: What I think is that yes, there should be rules, and yes, there should be moderators for it. But the rules should be a BIT lenient, if only to allow people to unwind. HOWEVER! I believe that the rules should be STRICTLY enforced. Like.... You get VERY few warnings. The rules would be lenient- Why should that mean that you should get chance after chance after chance? D: I think that DS Bans should come quick, yet be short at first. Yes, when and IF DS comes back, if it has such a system, greater leniency will be added for a short while so people may become used to the system... Say, 2-4 months of extra leniency. Maybe less, but days seem to go quickly for me. Anyways, after that period, the rules would be enforced strictly. No games, no fooling around- People need to learn what's acceptable and what isn't. Am I right? I'm probably thinking of things WAY too strict, but if you're not strict, people will never learn. Too strict, though, and you scare them to the point where they stay away entirely.

Sigh... There's my two bits, and think about it. I might be chock-full of ideas you could use, despite me actually trying to avoid DS for the stupidity in it. To tell you the truth, it was the huge pics and insulting pics that got me... Just thought I'd share that with you. (If anything, the insulting pics should be things that rules should be VERY strictly enforced on.)

Agreed.

#50 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:12 AM

All I have to say is that when Valerie started to lose interest in Derisory Substance, that was a sign that something had gone wrong.

I've always been amused by DS, but simultaneously annoyed at how it spammed up and cheapened the "active topics" list with "bait and switch" thread titles. (Yes, I made a few of these myself, but I never made the thread titles completely identical to the legitimate ones)

#51 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:51 AM

DS was also a place to put those mockery threads; you know the ones; someone makes a thread elsewhere that some poor fellow doesn't like, and goes into DS to make a topic that looks like it with the thread title similar to it, yet not quite different enough to make the claim that it's different ... believable. A lot of people were taking more offense to those than they should. When people are starting to take offense to spam, you know something is up. Obviously yes, there are people who take offense too easily to things, making it a more difficult topic to work with, but that doesn't mean you don't have to be careful with what you post.

As far as I'm concerned, MBG can still have a spam topic or two in it. It's just that it shouldn't become overrun or abused.

#52 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

Forgot about #PureZC Quotes. Yeah, that should go to MBG. Well, at least, it could... but some n00b might think it's an actual game and make up crap. icon_unsettled.gif

#53 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

Couldn't the quotes thread just go in GE or GD?

Edited by Saffith, 31 January 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#54 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

But then I could see some people quote stuff for just a free post.

cuz some people post crappy quotes already. icon_razz.gif (/me is somewhat guilty, a few)

EDIT: I see it now. It's been moved. Won't say. Everybody'll figure it out eventually. icon_blah.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 31 January 2008 - 04:49 PM.

#55 RyanBlazeheart

RyanBlazeheart

Happy Traveling Charizard

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Ok I just figured out that something was missing and then I figured that it might have been DS. I didn't go there very much anyway, but every time I went to see how things were doing at the Forums it seemed that WATER! was the most popular thing in DS. It almost seemed as popular as one of the random trends in Dewford on Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. The first time I played Ruby Version Becomes Teacher was the hippest thing of all in Dewford. Well good riddance to DS. For now anyway.

#56 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(Blackdrake1 @ Jan 31 2008, 05:02 PM) View Post

I didn't go there very much anyway, but every time I went to see how things were doing at the Forums it seemed that WATER! was the most popular thing in DS. It almost seemed as popular as one of the random trends in Dewford on Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.

lol WATER!!!!

I think we all made some silent pact to not let that thread die. If it were normal, it would never have gotten that big. icon_heh.gif

#57 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jan 31 2008, 04:08 PM) View Post

lol WATER!!!!

I think we all made some silent pact to not let that thread die. If it were normal, it would never have gotten that big. icon_heh.gif

*hides paper the others had to sign in blood, or else they got "the treatment"* icon_whistle.gif

I've been reading too much 8-bit Theater. icon_razz.gif

It's too bad there can't be some exchange of data between message boards, or else PureZC's WATER!!!! thread would be in the Beastly Forums during DS's absence.

#58 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Actually that's easy if you're willing to copy and paste a lot of quotes.

#59 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Old-skool @ Jan 31 2008, 06:54 PM) View Post

Actually that's easy if you're willing to copy and paste a lot of quotes.

Via my only mode of internet-browsing: the Wii? I'll pass.

#60 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

I'm just curious to know, what was the "WATER!!!" topic about anyways? That seemed to have been the number one topic from when I joined to when DS was removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users