Beta Testing the Randomizer

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

Much like the previous versions of the randomizer, a quest so dependent on Random Number Generation has the potential for unexpected bugs. Once again, finding a 200 Rupee means something went wrong. If you find one, note where it was and let me know. I can direct you to a secret built-in debug room that would let me know what item was supposed to spawn there and figure out what went wrong. Otherwise, let me know what you think and if any other bugs come up.

At least one more beta will be coming that has the non randomized option and a "proper" final boss. Everything else is finished, so you can complete the quest and see how many items you missed. Good luck!
  • Wolfman2000, Eddy, nitro3006 and 1 other like this

#2 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Well, this is a nice surprise. Is it alright if I stream/record it, or do you want me to wait until after it's out of beta?

#3 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

This is pretty interesting. I'm definitely going to be giving this a try when it's done. I could give the betas a try, but I think I'd rather wait for the full final product to be done. Who knows? I might end up playing this 7 times in a row again :P

#4 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

So far, after playing a few hours, I haven't found any bugs quite yet except possibly one.

What is more powerful; the blue hammer or red hammer. Because in the cave where you normally get the wood sword, I got the blue hammer. Then in Level 1 in the Light overworld, in the room with the boomerang, I got the blue hammer, which took over my blue hammer spot. If red is weaker, then it is possible to get weaker items after you have gotten the more powerful ones, if that is the case.

#5 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

I ended up streaming this and found some issues myself. It is possible that some of these may be intentional.

• The Magic Boomerang can now damage enemies as well as stun them. Kind of makes Goriyas much easier than they should be.
  • Whenever I pick up a wallet upgrade, I gain 10 rupees, but I think my max capacity increases by more than 10. Or perhaps every upgrade increases by 10 * number of upgrades? It seems off.
  • The blue candle has been nerfed to no longer light up rooms. The blue lantern does that job now. However, the red candle can still light up the room. Oversight?
  • How many proper new sets of dungeons are there? I now set 3 became set 1?, set 4 became set 2?, and set 5 became set 4. I thought I saw a set 5? containing both a clock and gamble dungeon. I'm guessing there are now 10 sets.

Edited by Wolfman2000, 26 May 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#6 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:30 PM

Oh boy, interesting to see what has changed.  For one, started with an infinite bomb bag (?!).  Luckily picked up 2 quick swords in 1-2 to compensate =P

Not sure with the weird needle with a heart at the end does.  Costs a heart to use, but not sure how much damage it's supposed to do.

I suppose candles are supposed to be more offensive now, not sure if it's supposed to light up rooms (only blue doesn't)

Each rupee expansion looks like it extends by 50 rupees each

Edited by pixcalibur, 26 May 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#7 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

The Magic Boomerang is an interesting change. I wanted it to be more useful, so I made it do Wooden Sword damage. Except the way the engine handles damaging boomerangs causes the Magic Boomerang to stun more enemies than intended. The Fire Boomerang is still better, but I wasn't intending for the Magic Boomerang to gain that many advantages. Too bad enemy defenses have so few options regarding stunning vs ignoring.

The Blue Candle can be a starting item, so I removed the one per screen limitation and took away the ability to light dark rooms so the Red Candle remained an upgrade. Except I later increased the Red Candle damage anyway. Two Candles are placed early in the quest so you don't go too long without a light source. I might restore the room lighting ability of the Blue Candle and only have one intended early Candle.

The Lanterns are interesting to compare to the Candles, as the Blue Lantern has less range but better damage. The better Lanterns also shoot flames a distance, but these flames are less powerful than the stationary one. The intent is for the Candle to be the middle ground with short range, while the Lantern has a stronger stationary flame but weaker long range flames.

Speaking of Candles and Lanterns, certain enemies are weak to flames. This should make these weapons a little more useful.

Since expansion items usually give you some ammo when picked up, it makes sense the Wallet upgrades give some rupees. But 50 rupees per pickup would be silly, so you only get 10.

The new level naming system reflects the source quests, but former sets 3 and 4 have no official names. They can either be called the proposed4th and proposed5th (in reference to the beta they were made in that contained proposed versions of the 1st through 3rd quests), or the Lost 1st and Lost 2nd. Due to character limitations, those sets have the names 1st? and 2nd?, since there is not enough room for "Lost1st", and "L1st" makes even less sense. There are only 6 dungeon sets, and the 4th and 5th are based on my submissions for those competitions, not the official winning ones (which is why there is no 3rd, because I didn't make it).

The Heart Shot is the strongest weapon set in the quest, since you use your life to fire it. It is also the only weapon that can damage Mirrorrobes, although reflecting their shots is still better.

All starting weapons can damage enemies now. The Regenerating Bomb Bag is the hardest starting weapon (item?), but the most powerful.

#8 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:15 AM

So I've been exploring a bit and noticed some new dungeons and a couple of old ones. Are all of the ones from Randomizer Modern in this one as well? Or are some completely replaced?

EDIT: Nevermind, think I found my answer.

Edited by HylianGlaceon, 28 May 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#9 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:11 AM

Will there be separate music track for each dungeon? It gets way too repetitive when wou start tackling L6-L8 dungeons.

#10 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

So minor bug, Item Scrolling left from the Sword seems to put you at the Feather even if there's items to the right of it that it should scroll through first. 

Also, any chance of using the old way of naming dungeons like in Randomizer Modern? The new names are a bit confusing to me and messy to be honest.

#11 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

i don't mind the new names....although it is a bit confusing seeing it's 1st, 2nd, 1st?, 2nd?, 4th and 5th....maybe you could just do it 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th for each level set. Keep the names of the levels as is....but do something about the 1st? and 2nd? part because it did confuse me at first.

Also, I finished the demo...got 203/200....I'm guessing I missed one in the very dark over-world (where it's all black and shades of blue overworld) is the Stone Of Agony in this demo?

Edited by SoStaci, 29 May 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#12 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

Fixed the subscreen Sword->Feather bug. Currently working on the final boss script, then all that remains is deciding what items go where in the non-randomized mode.

I'm open for ides for better names for the Lost1st and Lost2nd sets. Anything that fits in 5 characters would work. The only requirements is that the two happen in sequence and no "3rd" (I'll add a message telling players not to look for them). So far I've come up with things like "1.5th", "Ex1st", or "A Qst" and "B Qst". And no "-1st", I have that one set aside (not for the Randomizers).

The next beta will add one final bonus item, bringing true item collection to an even 103%. Assuming you found the previous 3 Lost item locations, the new ones are a little interesting to find. One has a clue from Abei in ZELDA Level L. The other requires inspecting the new Lost Caves more closely. You might want to do that second one last.

The Stone of Agony will always be an optional easter egg item that doesn't count, since I've yet to see it be really useful. It is still obtained the same way.

#13 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

If you went with the naming of Levels from Randomizer Modern. I.e Level 1-1 Eagle, you could just do "Lost 1-1 Eagle" if it was a lost level. For the second set of Lost Levels you could do "Lost 2-1 Eagle".

If you intend on keeping the current way of naming levels. "Lst 1 1st Eagle" and "Lst 1 2nd Eagle" could probably work.

Anyhow a few other minor things:

The third type of Bombs, I'm not sure what they're called, I've been calling them Fire Bombs personally. They're a bit awkward to use since Link doesn't place them like normal bombs. They just appear under Link when used. Could you make them so Link places them like the other bombs? They'd be far easier to use then.

The Lantern is a neat version to the Candle. I did notice however Link doesn't use it like the other items. You can stand in front of an enemy spamming projectiles and just spam it without ever getting hit since Link never drops his shield to use it.

With the L2 Lantern, I don't really like it uses magic either. The first level didn't use magic so it would be nice if the second didn't as well. I don't know if there's a third one yet as I haven't finished this yet.

#14 Wolfman2000

Wolfman2000

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

I found this text in a certain screen that seems misspelt.

Spoiler

#15 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

The new Beta should be up. This may be the last Beta if no major changes are made. Non-Randomized mode is now available and needs testing to make sure all the items appear correctly. The final boss has been added, and might be a little difficult for those not fully equipped. Added a bonus dungeon and the hints needed to find it. Also added another easter egg item, I'll see if anyone can find it. Also fixed a few custom item quirks, but the upgraded Lanterns are supposed to use magic to shoot flames. You can still create the stationary flame without any magic. Final item completion should be an even 103%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users