Photo

Screenshot of the Week 142

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 142 (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Which catches your eye the most?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

hakan92, please read my PM. As for everybody, lets get back to the topic and not create any further insults, regardless of whose opinions those are a reaction to. Like DarkFlameWolf said, this is a friendly competition, and nothing to take too seriously.

#32 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Oct 21 2006, 11:24 PM) View Post

Well, instead of putting down people's work like that, submit a better screenshot if you think you can do that much better, NoeL. Maybe those few SOTW wins make you think you're an almighty graphic master who can just say "that sucks!" to other's work. Meh.

I'm sorry for insulting everyone, I was stating my opinion and was too lazy to offer constructive criticism. In the future I will refrain from making such comments. Also, I never said that any shot "sucks", I said they were ugly. Nanny McPhee is hideosuly ugly, but the make-up work is top notch.

So, to somewhat redeem myself, I'll offer some constructive criticism.

DFW: Why, oh why, a jpg? Use a file format that doesn't destroy the picture. The grass/mountain colour combination reminds me of baby poo, and the water looks unusually blue. There's no real focal point of the shot, it's just a generic screen from the game. That said, it's a well made screen, but the unoriginal tiles and bad palette kill it for me.

blaman: I think you said it best yourself in the caption: An autumn scene. Really don't know what else to say... There's really not much else to say about this shot. I like the way you've used a variety of trees and wildlife to spruce up the shot, but if you're going to have that tree as a centrepiece it needs to be prettied up. 2 colours and harsh black outline just doesn't do it for me. It would've been nice to see a bit more of the gate in the shot, but if the top warp is an entrance/exit rather than a scrolling warp then the gate's fine as is. (but thanks for using my flowers icon_wink.gif )

Revfan9: Bad colours, bad tiles, plain layout. Why is the lava brown, and why is the pipe a sickly purple, and WHY ARE THE ROCK'S SHADOWS WHITE? You REALLY need to change the colour scheme. On the other hand, the pac-man ghost dude looks cool.

Sharon Daniel: This is the only shot where the colours are actually in harmony, so you get points for that. However (and I know you're going for a bomberman feel so dismiss this if you like) like DFW's shot, there's no focus... where am I supposed to be looking? There's a whole lot of blocks and some snakes... it's just not interesting at all. It's a very boring shot, despite the graphics looking great (especially that Bomberman sprite, good work with that).

Hero Link: Yes, that bright blue rain is very Dark and Evil... on the eyes that is. Have you got like a transparent aqua overlay on that screen? The screen just doesn't look like a rainy scene should. The water colour is too bright and it's really off putting. I like the way you've structured the screen though. The mountain is a little square and boring, and the water plants look very tiled in the middle there (add a little variety), but the whole lake thing with the house looks good together.

And Peteo, unfortunatly I didn't have the time to make a screenie for this week, but if I did it would be kicking arse! icon_razz.gif (I'm kidding, try not to get offended by that)

#33 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:03 AM

Revfan9: Bad colours, bad tiles, plain layout. Why is the lava brown, and why is the pipe a sickly purple, and WHY ARE THE ROCK'S SHADOWS WHITE? You REALLY need to change the colour scheme. On the other hand, the pac-man ghost dude looks cool.

Again, temporary tiles. I mainly submitted the shot so that there would be the 3 needed for SotW. If I had known all these other people would enter as well... I wouldn't have submitted the shot.

#34 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

Now that's the right spirit, NoeL! icon_wink.gif

And thanks for pointing out what's wrong in the LI shot in your opinion. I too think that the whole palette sucks *** so I better edit it heavily and I guess I have to get my lazy butt into work and create some beautiful custom flowers to the area to make it more pretty and original...

#35 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:50 AM

RAWR! changing palettes are you! DIE

#36 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Oct 20 2006, 04:21 PM) View Post

blaman- Nice DoR shot, but still nothing special.

It's pure, but I changed the Link. (I really like the DoR Link.)
Heh, well, I'm doing much better than last time. Lol.

As for the palette for the LI shot, I think it works fine. It works with the shot for a dark look, in my opinion.

#37 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(blaman @ Oct 24 2006, 11:29 AM) View Post

It's pure, but I changed the Link. (I really like the DoR Link.)
Heh, well, I'm doing much better than last time. Lol.

As for the palette for the LI shot, I think it works fine. It works with the shot for a dark look, in my opinion.

Yeah, that's clearly Pure. None of the trees are edited. I don't get why people can't tell the difference between the two tilesets, as most of the tiles in DoR are heavily altered. icon_confused.gif

#38 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 25 October 2006 - 12:42 AM

DoR has tiles that are unaltered from Pure, and all of the tiles used in that shot are the same in Pure and DoR, besides the Link tiles, which is why I thought it was DoR. Blaman must have "ported" the Link tiles himself, cause those are not my edits.

#39 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Oct 25 2006, 01:42 AM) View Post

DoR has tiles that are unaltered from Pure, and all of the tiles used in that shot are the same in Pure and DoR, besides the Link tiles, which is why I thought it was DoR. Blaman must have "ported" the Link tiles himself, cause those are not my edits.

As I already mentioned: the trees. DoR's trees look much different than Pure's. And yes, that includes the trees in blaman's screenshot. Especially the trees in blaman's screenshot, even.

#40 andrewmcd1

andrewmcd1

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

Sharon Daniel For 3 reasons;
  1. The spites for the enemies, Blocks and Bomberman are really like the real thing.
  2. Captures the feel of a bomberman game really well.
  3. I like Bomberman.

#41 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:52 PM

I was wondering, wouldn't SotW be more interesting if, instead of Pure, GB, LttP, and 2.10 tilesets making up 100% of the pic, there would be tiles and tilesets that we rarely see? I like to see awesome-looking pics, but when you see the same tiles being used over and over again, it gets a little bland.

#42 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

I voted for DarkFlameWolf's it is a good example of how a dark look should be pulled off and the actual screen itself is nicely done. The only thing that strikes me odd is the grass is a little off looking to me, I don't really know what it is about it. Actually though if it wasn't for how well the dark and gloomy look was pulled off and just being a good screen overall then Sharon Daniel would have had my vote just because it is something diffrent than the usual for Zelda Classic.

#43 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Animus01 @ Oct 25 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post
I was wondering, wouldn't SotW be more interesting if, instead of Pure, GB, LttP, and 2.10 tilesets making up 100% of the pic, there would be tiles and tilesets that we rarely see? I like to see awesome-looking pics, but when you see the same tiles being used over and over again, it gets a little bland.

It's those ones that almost always win SotW/M. Of course, using original tiles/tilesets is not always a good thing. *refrences to my submission*

#44 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Animus01 @ Oct 25 2006, 03:52 PM) View Post

Of course it would be more interesting. I tried something new this week as you can see. Jonathan always has interesting submissions too, but he hasn't been around much lately. Hero Link's submissions are also new and interesting, although the tileset is old. We don't see many Gameboy shots in SotW.

#45 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:09 PM

well, more often than not, when it comes to SOTW, new tiles and the novelty that goes along with them usually win SOTW. If there are no screenshots with new tiles to 'wow' people, THEN SOTW comes down to screen detail and how good it is arranged. At least that's what I've observed from the myriad of SOTW we've held.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users