Photo

Screenshot of the Week 140

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 140 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 140

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 spriteman

spriteman

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 8 2006, 12:02 AM) View Post

In regards to the subscreen, ever heard the expression "less is more"? It's simple, yes, but it's effective. It serves it's purpose, and it doesn't steal focus from the game. I might customise it later on, but I don't think it looks "bad" as it is, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I've studied graphic design, and there's nothing worse than people overusing something "just because they can". When the WWW was new and people were first building websites, they were filled with flashing text and bright colours, but people don't do it anymore because it's an annoyance. Nowadays there's vast areas of "white space" to relax the viewers eyes. I think this is what many people have done with the custom subscreen feature. In due time people will revert back to more placid subscreens.

In my opinion, your subscreen is terrible. It looks like you've taken a background image then whacked stuff on top of it, with a terrible colour sceme, that pulls all the focus away from the game. That's why all your responses are "great subscreen!", because that's all they're seeing when they look at your shot, which isn't very good in a video game. There's just way too much going on in that subscreen. If it was less saturated and more monotone it would be much better.

I'll take your other comments onboard. I was going to redo the sprites but I kinda like the difference in detail... gives it sort of a cell animation look. I'm undicided on that one.

I've also studied graphic design and I love simple desgins but a Zelda game won't fit that philosophy. I won't make a white subscreen with very cool buttons and stuff because it won't fit at all into a Zelda game. And btw I didn't put a background and then the buttons...
And Linkus Mastii, I've used the tree I've made but just once because if not it will look very repetitive.

#17 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

That subscreen clashes horribly with the rest of spriteman's shot. It desperately need a border around it

I voted for NoeL. Link still looks funny, but the rest of the screen is fantastic

#18 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 8 2006, 01:02 AM) View Post

In regards to the subscreen, ever heard the expression "less is more"? It's simple, yes, but it's effective. It serves it's purpose, and it doesn't steal focus from the game. I might customise it later on, but I don't think it looks "bad" as it is, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I've studied graphic design, and there's nothing worse than people overusing something "just because they can". When the WWW was new and people were first building websites, they were filled with flashing text and bright colours, but people don't do it anymore because it's an annoyance. Nowadays there's vast areas of "white space" to relax the viewers eyes. I think this is what many people have done with the custom subscreen feature. In due time people will revert back to more placid subscreens.

In my opinion, your subscreen is terrible. It looks like you've taken a background image then whacked stuff on top of it, with a terrible colour sceme, that pulls all the focus away from the game. That's why all your responses are "great subscreen!", because that's all they're seeing when they look at your shot, which isn't very good in a video game. There's just way too much going on in that subscreen. If it was less saturated and more monotone it would be much better.

I'll take your other comments onboard. I was going to redo the sprites but I kinda like the difference in detail... gives it sort of a cell animation look. I'm undicided on that one.

Well put! Custom subscreen designs aren't bad to have in SotW, but they shouldn't be the primary focus of the whole shot.

#19 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(spriteman @ Oct 8 2006, 03:37 AM) View Post

I've also studied graphic design and I love simple desgins but a Zelda game won't fit that philosophy. I won't make a white subscreen with very cool buttons and stuff because it won't fit at all into a Zelda game. And btw I didn't put a background and then the buttons...
And Linkus Mastii, I've used the tree I've made but just once because if not it will look very repetitive.

...Won't fit that philosophy... Zelda 1 had blue rectangles, LttP had different coloured rectangles, the GB Zelda's had some black rectangles... oh, but they were all crap games so I guess you're right. Those subscreens totally killed the games.

White subscreen with cool buttons? Yes, that would look pretty bad... but what does that have to do with anything? Graphic design isn't just about web pages you know, it applies to all multimedia interfaces, INCLUDING Zelda Classic subscreens.

#20 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

Does anyone else here get the idea that spriteman is a sore loser and/or someone who doesn't like the classic subscreens since you can make your own now? Why does it seem that most people here think that being able to make your own subscreen means that every quest absolutely must have its own custom subscreen? Why can't these people understand that not everyone likes to make their own subscreens? Sure, it's fun now, but some people like classics. Myself? I like making my own subscreen. But I'll still use classic subscreens. That said, let me say this:

How could NoeL make his screen better? *thinks hard* Nope, can't think of a thing.

#21 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

I don't discriminate against classic subscreens. Subscreens are meant to be what they are: subscreens. If subscreens were meant to be more attractive than the game's dungeons, overworlds, bosses, and anything else, everyone would be turning on their consoles just to pause the game. icon_eek.gif

#22 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

MoonWhipser:
Nice, but there is a wierd thing around the edges of the upper walls.

NoeL:
This looks like something Square-Enix would do, and I stil can't believe one person did this. Awesome. I see you changed Link as well. *Votes*

spriteman:
This is also nice, but before I read the caption, I had no idea that was the subscreen. No offense, but it is aweful. It is way to intrusive, and there is no border, or line that separates it from the playing screen. The screen itself is good though, but the subscreen would be a lot better with a dark border.

blaman:
Great castle wall tiles. I also like the bridge.

Good show icon_smile.gif

Edited by Anthus, 08 October 2006 - 07:24 PM.

#23 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:19 AM

Thanks, but I didn't change Link icon_razz.gif

Wow, I can't believe how I totally changed the talk about subscreens! Before everyone was like "Cool subscreen dude, so detailed!" and now they're "Meh, subscreens are evil!" (well maybe not quite, but you get the picture).

(woot for me, I'm kicking arse icon_razz.gif)

#24 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

These are in fact some great screens this week. I knew it was gonna be difficult when I first seen them while I was posting this weeks SotW. Time to choose.

Moonwhisper: *votes* I like this screen a lot. I love how it is set up and the setting of it. A frozen desert, FREAKING AWESOME MAN!!!! Great screen man!

NoeL: I was so close to voting for this one. It has great tiles, and very interesting enemies. Great stuff NoeL, as always! icon_biggrin.gif

spriteman: This is a nice looking screen. The background of the passive subscreen to me, kinda clashes with the playing field. There is no separation, and it would end up bugging me while playing it.

blaman: I am a sucker for castle pictures. That is some nice screenage right there. Nice setup of the area, and it just looks good.

I hope to have a screen from my work-in-progress quest in the next SotW. icon_biggrin.gif Good stuff guys!

Note: Constructive criticism is part of SotW, expect some if you enter. If you don't like someone's criticism, either ignore it, or take it to heart, and fix it to your standards.

#25 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Hero Link @ Oct 11 2006, 01:12 AM) View Post

Note: Constructive criticism is part of SotW, expect some if you enter. If you don't like someone's criticism, either ignore it, or take it to heart, and fix it to your standards.

That's what I think SotW is all about. Learning how to make screenshots better, since SotW is more oftenly viewed.

#26 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Oct 11 2006, 11:00 AM) View Post

That's what I think SotW is all about. Learning how to make screenshots better, since SotW is more oftenly viewed.

Well, there's no doubt about it next SotW that my screenshot's going to reap up some funny criticism. But, it's not a problem for me. I've already started criticizing mine long before anyone else will, so I think I know what to expect. icon_razz.gif icon_wink.gif

#27 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

Moonwhisper - 6 votes = [15.00%]
NoeL - 27 votes = [67.50%]
spriteman - 6 votes =[15.00%]
blaman - 1 vote = [2.50%]
Total Votes: 40

NoeL is the winner for SOTW 140! Congrats. icon_wink.gif

#28 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Animus01 @ Oct 8 2006, 07:11 PM) View Post

I don't discriminate against classic subscreens. Subscreens are meant to be what they are: subscreens. If subscreens were meant to be more attractive than the game's dungeons, overworlds, bosses, and anything else, everyone would be turning on their consoles just to pause the game. icon_eek.gif

lol, nice way to put it.

Well, that ended quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users