Photo

Screenshot of the Week 132

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 132 (61 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 132

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:07 PM

Lecayle:
This isn't a bad shot, but it's not really SotW winning material. It doesn't really show anything new/ custom. It simply shows us another fairly generic shot...

Linkus Mastii:
I voted for this shot. It reminds of of a GameBoy Zelda for some reason. Maybe it's just the bright colors, and contrast. I like this shot either way though icon_smile.gif

Mighty Darknut:
I like this shot too, and it's tied with NoeL's for second. I see you're showing stuff from your non-Metroid projects? Is this your Zelda game, or that "Mitsumori" thingy? I can also see that your mountains are heavily influenced by Pokemon icon_razz.gif

NoeL:
Great shot. I love the mountains, but the only thingy I really, really dislike are those trees. That's what made me not vote for it. I don't know, but it just seems like they don't really fit in at all. They seem to bright, and they don't seem like they have an outline. I like everything else though, especially that grass.

Good show this week icon_smile.gif

#17 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Rex Zemenheart @ Jul 26 2006, 03:07 PM)
Mighty Darknut:
I like this shot too, and it's tied with NoeL's for second. I see you're showing stuff from your non-Metroid projects? Is this your Zelda game, or that "Mitsumori" thingy? I can also see that your mountains are heavily influenced by Pokemon icon_razz.gif

View Post

This shot is from Mitsumori. I was very displeased with that palette and many of the tiles, however, so there should be a noticeable difference in my next Mitsumori screenshot.

Yeah, I'm using my Pokémon-style mountains, but I didn't use them very well in that shot... I've actually been working on different mountains for the past week, but I didn't come up with anything good. So, I'm sticking with these.

#18 rexlaninetales

rexlaninetales

9 tailed kitsune

• Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Lecayle: Kind of cartoonish with all the black outlines, but other than that, its a lovely screenshot. I like the icey environment and the clouds at the top, as well as the textures. The castle's quite nice also.
Linkus Mastii: Another super sweet screenshot. Your ground texture is what makes this screen shot really shine. There's so much detail in the grass and the seemingly droughted areas. The pillars and cement objects are also nicely rendered.
Mighty Darknut: I don't know why, but this one isn't my cup of tea. You've done much better work than this. I do like the mountain textures and the withered tree. Also, the hero looks cool also.
NoeL: Yes! I saw this one on AIM and I'm still impressed. Lovely detail in all the trees and grass. My favorite aspect about this screenshot is the waterfall and the water itself. The water looks so real, instead of the typical blue water found in Zelda quests and other primitive video games. I'm not too crazy about the hero though.

#19 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Gashin @ Jul 26 2006, 11:27 AM)
allright, time to settle this
first off, NoeL said nothing about having a full 16x16 walkable tile behind the house. even then it would make sense. it looks as if it's a 16x16 tile for the front of the house, then the tiles for the roof. imagine that the screenshot was a true top-down perspective. if Link had a full tile behind the house to walk on, he would be right next to the wall on each side. if he only had a half tile to walk on behind the house, he would appear 8 pixels away from the back. now, I think most of us remove half of the tile's walkable areas simply to prevent Link from being hidden back there

second, it looks like a cliff and water behind the house, so it dosen't matter how much space Link has to move back there; he can't get there anyway. even if he could, the house would be raised up from the water, allowing even more space behind the house for Link to move behind

View Post

Thankyou Gashin.

As for everybody that's commented on the trees, I'll take your thoughts into account. As anyone that's seen this on the quest screenshot thread knows, these graphics are a work in progress, the treetops and the house in particular.

#20 System Error

System Error

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:56 PM

I was half awake at the time. What was probably really bothering me is what the inside of the house would look like. Since, by your logic, the house is only 3 tiles by 2 tiles, the inside of it being square would be unusual (again, most interiors are square), and the thought of what going inside the house would be like bothered me..

As for using those solid ground combos, I am aware of that. However, the point remains that the roof tiles nearest the front of the house should NOT be able to be walked anyhow. It's silly to make it so you have to put those solid ground combos behind them - they should be unwalkable in the first place.

Edited by System Error, 27 July 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#21 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(System Error @ Jul 27 2006, 07:56 PM)
I was half awake at the time. What was probably really bothering me is what the inside of the house would look like. Since, by your logic, the house is only 3 tiles by 2 tiles, the inside of it being square would be unusual (again, most interiors are square), and the thought of what going inside the house would be like bothered me..

As for using those solid ground combos, I am aware of that. However, the point remains that the roof tiles nearest the front of the house should NOT be able to be walked anyhow. It's silly to make it so you have to put those solid ground combos behind them - they should be unwalkable in the first place.

View Post

It's ZC....sheesh, go look at all 2d games, the inside is usually very different from the the shape of the outside. Besides, whats wrong with square rooms and walking under the shadow of a roof? They aren't fixed to the ground, the roof is in the sky, not on ground. Its walking underthings.

#22 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(System Error @ Jul 27 2006, 06:56 PM)

View Post

The roof of the house is for use on layer 3+, and "walkability" is only affected by layers less than that. So, in order for a house to not be walkable, you HAVE to set solid combos on a lower layer! The only exception is giving the tile an "overhead" attribute, although this is only suitable if the tile has no transparent pixels.

Geez, I wish people would know what they're talking about before opening their mouths!

#23 Johan

Johan

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:09 AM

Linkus Mastii. So pretty screen.

I hate Noel's retarded Link. But also the trees and the house do not look good enough. More detail to them and to the whole screen and the screenshot could be almost Gashin quality.

#24 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

Alright, time to answer a few questions:

1. No, that is not the the final Link or moblins. I'll fix those into a better perspective that goes along with the tiles, and there will be a fully custom Link.

2.The subscreen may be temporary; I just used those tiles for a test, but the full subscreen needs work.

3. Actually this is a tileset that I haven't planned at all. But it'll grow--I've accidentally made a perfect candidate for a quest that has had more than 6 months of planning, started on it, quit, and now I will start on it again thanks to this tileset that fits well into what I want to make. (In fact I've already made the [ex-]kingdom crest.)

That's all I've got to say right now. Maybe next time, more ruins or perhaps a town scene...

#25 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE(Johan @ Jul 28 2006, 06:09 AM)
Linkus Mastii. So pretty screen.

I hate Noel's retarded Link. But also the trees and the house do not look good enough. More detail to them and to the whole screen and the screenshot could be almost Gashin quality.

View Post

As up-myself as this is gunna sound... I haven't seen that much custom work from Gashin that would put him above "NoeL quality" icon_shrug.gif Looking at the database, most of his stuff is small sprites. They look good, solid work, but how much overworld stuff has Gashin done? I'm assuming he must have some work that I'm unaware of, because everyone hails him as some custom guru.. and I'm just not seeing it...

#26 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

NoeL, I think it's more along the lines of screen setup, instead of just the tiles on the screens, that people love. though, I think people remember me for my Fragments screenshots a while back...

#27 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2006 - 03:55 PM

NoeL wins it this week. No contest I'm afraid. His shot isn't as jaw-dropping as some people make it seem, but I just love custom work so much. Bravo. icon_thumbsup.gif

I agree with some of the complainers here. The Link in NoeL's shots looks a bit... umm... stupid. icon_rolleyes.gif But if you're not going to change Link's looks just because of a few complaints, then I respect you and your gutsy decision. He may look silly, but at least he stands out from those thousands of other boring Links. icon_razz.gif

#28 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Gashin @ Jul 28 2006, 02:04 PM)
NoeL, I think it's more along the lines of screen setup, instead of just the tiles on the screens, that people love. though, I think people remember me for my Fragments screenshots a while back...

View Post

*reviews SOTW archives*
... really basic design in most of your shots... the Fragments screens don't appeal that much to me... those bubble trees with the black outline just seem really odd. Your shot for sotw 98 was really good, even though it's incredibly basic as well... and 109, probably my fav.

I think it's more that your shots seem to all fit together nicely. All the tiles look as if they're meant to be there (in the later stuff anyway), and you have a keen eye for colour... and on top of everything you've entered a fair bit and gotten a lot of exposure icon_razz.gif

So, things I need to improve upon:
1. Consistency. Make sure everything in the screen has an equal amount of detail in it.
2. Chose colours that blend well together and are pleasing to the eye and not too heavily contrasted.
3. Post more screenies icon_razz.gif
4. Take my Link out of the sceen icon_sigh.gif Obviously the realm of PZC isn't ready to accept his brillance icon_razz.gif

#29 Bonegolem

Bonegolem

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:13 AM

Linkus Linkus Linkus.

For crying out loud, the more NPCs you cram into a screen, the more tacky it becomes.

#30 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

now, before I forget to say this later; NoeL wins this week, though I think all the screenshots this week were very well done

two entries for SotW 133 so far

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users