Script Elaboration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BtjCraft

BtjCraft

Praise Double Helix!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

Race For Power will have several scripts included that will amplify the experience of quest (once completed), and with a modified version of the BS Quests in the process of presenting some of these scripts, I think it would be best to finally elaborate on what these are going to do.

New Game + and New Game -

The New Game system will work a bit differently between RFP and the modified BS Quest (still working on a name for it, so let's call it Quest Beta for now). In Quest Beta, a new game +/- will start the player off with the 2nd map of BS Zelda, but in RFP a new game +/- will have bonus content included with the original map. New Game + will allow the player to play the quest again from the beginning but allow the player to keep of the equipment obtained so far (so in turn, completed side quests will stay completed), while the difficulty goes up haphazardly. With New Game -, the player will lose all equipment gained so far and must earn it all back once again, while still having to deal with the same difficulty increase. In RFP, different bonus content is offered depending on which option the player choose. New Game + adds on extra side missions onto the dungeons, which will award the use of an extra element upon completion of the majority of these side missions (explanation of side missions and elements below), while New Game - adds on a bonus dungeon, which should be difficult to find. In addition, the choice for + and - will be given after each completion, instead of forcing the player to erase the save file and beat the game again to enjoy the experience again. Also, should the player have chosen both New Game + and New Game - at some point, both the extra missions and the bonus dungeon will be available as bonus content from there on out, stacked on top of how the difficulty still rises after each completion.

Gradual Difficulty

A brand new difficulty system is being implemented into the quests: the difficulty actually changes based on player performance. It is a global difficulty system that affects all enemies, and it modifies the health and attack of all enemies (except for bosses, which only have their attack modified) as the player plays the game. The starting game will start with a "base difficulty" of 100%, and if the player does well against enemies, the difficulty will increase bit by bit, and the opposite is also true. The difficulty is marked as a percentage, and the percentage of the enemies' health and attack changes according to that percentage. So, a difficulty of 150% will multiply all enemies' health by 1.5. The difficulty won't go less than 50% less than the base difficulty and it won't go more than 50% more than the base difficulty. Also, the "base difficulty" will get an extra 50% every time a New Game is started (which is how the difficulty will go up for the New Games).

Critical and Blocked Hits

A simple system that gives the player a small chance to deal an extra 1.5x attack for a critical hit, and also a small chance to end up dealing only .5x attack for a blocked hit, just to make the quests feel a bit more like an RPG.

Item Leveling System

This I actually only intend to include with Quest Beta, since I already have the scoring system prepared for RFP, but I'm going to explain this anyway. The leveling system will get rid of all collectible upgrades to the player items (so no White Sword or Magical Boomerang) and will instead be replaced with a Z2 style leveling system. This system will allow the player to upgrade a certain item once the player has enough experience. To upgrade an item, the player will have to press a button to open up a new menu where the player can select any item the player has to upgrade (with the exception of items like the raft). After selecting an item, the player will have a choice (up to four available) of how to upgrade an item (so for a sword, the player can either: double the sword attack, double the beam attack, decrease the minimum percentage of health you can have for firing beams by 25%, or enable the beam to penetrate enemies). The catch is, all items have an upgrade cap of 2, so all items can only be upgraded. However, this cap is raised by two for each New Game (including New Game -), which should help balance the difficulty increase provided by the New Games. So, by the end of three games, the player can actually have a sword that deals 64 damage. However, a single type of upgrade can only be upgraded up to 8 times ever (at max, some upgrades may be capped at less, like the "enable the beam to penetrate enemies" upgrade, which can only be upgraded once).

Day & Night

Each day in both of the quests will be 24 minutes long, 12 minutes for day and 12 minutes for night. There won't be much difference between the two except for visual changes and the enemies will be different.

Mission-Based Levels

This concept is heavily based off of the Sonic Adventure games, as the levels of those games had extra optional missions that could be completed to get closer to 100% completion. This concept will be used here for dungeons, as the player can choose tasks like getting rid of a certain amount of enemies, dealing with a boss while having minimal health, among others upon returning to an already completed dungeon, with the reward being extra points/experience (depending on the quest).

Anyway, that's it for these new things. I'm open to any ideas anybody has for a mission, I don't want to copy all of the missions from other games, I want to add in some originals, although I can't seem to think of any myself. If anybody has a recommendation for adding/changing/deleting something for/from my planned scripts, I'd like to hear those as well. So, that's it, and, as a reminder, the next update for RFP/Quest Beta will be up on the 30th of August (only two weeks from now), so until then, see ya'll later.

Edited by BtjCraft, 16 August 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

I like everything that I see here, including the item level. May I suggest, that you include that a a game option, on creating a new game, setting one global boolean to use that system? I think it would add to the all-around vibe of this project, and fits with everything that you are doing.

As another suggestion, 'special' (L4) items that over-ride the cap may be used, as sought-after relics, rather than collecting individual upgrades (as items). After making any item L3 with the item-level system, it could be possible to open up otherwise unexplored paths to find a relic that allows a L4 variation. That make them optional, and it also allows for more game-play variation.

The self-adjusting difficulty system seems quite interesting, and I have a fairly good idea of what that'll mean, and how it works. One question: Is there an upper-limit, and a corresponding lower-limit to the modifiers?

#3 BtjCraft

BtjCraft

Praise Double Helix!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

I like everything that I see here, including the item level. May I suggest, that you include that a a game option, on creating a new game, setting one global boolean to use that system? I think it would add to the all-around vibe of this project, and fits with everything that you are doing.

As another suggestion, 'special' (L4) items that over-ride the cap may be used, as sought-after relics, rather than collecting individual upgrades (as items). After making any item L3 with the item-level system, it could be possible to open up otherwise unexplored paths to find a relic that allows a L4 variation. That make them optional, and it also allows for more game-play variation.

The self-adjusting difficulty system seems quite interesting, and I have a fairly good idea of what that'll mean, and how it works. One question: Is there an upper-limit, and a corresponding lower-limit to the modifiers?

I do plan on setting up a few global booleans on certain gameplay options (like a 3-heart challenge, or a hero mode) for the entire save file, so I can certainly do put the system up as one of those options.

I do think that a cap override is a good idea, but I'm not so sure if I would want to set it up that way, since the player can simply level up twice and retrieve the relic that allows the player to have an L4 sword before they even get to Level 3. The first couple item-levels won't take along time to get, so something a little more restrictive will have to be arranged to stop the player from abusing a cap override. But it is still a good suggestion nonetheless, so thank you for those suggestions.

As for modifier limits, the difficulty won't be going less than or more than 50% away from the "base difficulty" of that game, if that makes any sense. (So, for the first game, the difficulty can be between 50% and 150%, while the second game, it can be between 100% and 200%.)

...Is it just me, or did the font of the body text just recently change?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users