Photo

ZQuest on Windows 7 Starter Service Pack 1

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

I can't get it to work.  tried as admin, in "run," in cmd, with old Windows versions settings....  no dice.  I have a PC running M.E. (that isn't online), should I try it on that computer?  I have another PC that I have never even turned on.  it runs XP, I think.  should I try it on that?  I really want to run it on this craptop, so that's what I really want help with, but maybe it isn't going to happen.  if you can help in any way, please advise.

#2 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

What does it do?  Can you run ZC, but not ZQ? Is there anything in allegro.log?  You're going to need to give us more information.

#3 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

oh, yeah.  I forgot about that log.  sorry.  it says:  unsupported color depth.  I had tried it in 256 a few times.  I tried it like that again and got the same message.  I can run ZC just fine.  the little icon shows in the applications bar at the bottom of the screen but disappears within a second, at best.

#4 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

That's weird, it runs just fine on my PC, and it's set to 32 bit color. Are you running it from the launcher? fullscreen or windowed?

#5 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

tried it from the launcher, windowed.  rest of the time without the launcher.

#6 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

anybody know how to get it color mode compatible?

#7 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

I feel like when I got it to run before it was using the other launcher, the one that isn't package with the game.  I feel like I had to set the window size to really small so it would fit on the craptop screen.  might that be the issue?  I could be misremembering, because that was a while ago.  please help me.  "unsupported color depth."  no idea.

#8 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Has this been fixed yet?

#9 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

no, sir.  I sent Saffith a message and I'm hoping he'll have some words of wisdom for me.

• David likes this

#10 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

I hope so too! :)

#11 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm afraid I really don't know. You could try changing the color_depth setting in ag.cfg to 16, 24, or 32, but that's quite buggy and won't work at all at 640x480 or above.

What's the desktop color depth? Is it anything other than 8-, 15-, 16-, 24-, or 32-bit? It looks like that's the only reason you'd get an "unsupported color depth" error from an 8-bit program.

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

I disabled color_depth for ZQuest because it crashes it. Currently they only work for ZC under the [zelda] options in the config file. (Mostly still there for when nothing else works properly) I suppose it's possible the video card is not installed, or just doesn't like allegro or 8-bit applications. Maybe there is a setting for that?

#13 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

so, Gleeok, is there a particular thing you think I should try to do?  thanks for your time, guys.

#14 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

Wait, so you're using  a different launcher than the one that comes packaged with ZC? Have you tried doing it without using the launcher at all?

#15 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

you misread or I did a bad job of communicating. or both.

I tried several ways to get it to run, including all of the normal ways of which you may be thinking. there used to (maybe around the time of Zelda Classic 2.50 Release Candidate 2) be a peripheral launcher that was a lot better than the one that comes with the program now. I feel like the one time I got a relatively current ZQuest to open on this computer it was using that, but I may be misremembering more than one aspect of that scenario. I still don't really get the difference between color sets and palettes, so the whole "color depth" concept is zooming right over my head. short thing is we have a laptop that we use daily and it would be great if I could build quests on it instead of being tethered to the crappy old M.E. PC on which I use ZC/ZQ 1.90. color depth seems to be the issue but I have no idea how I would address it.

Edited by trudatman, 22 August 2013 - 11:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users