>30 KB Voice Files in Quests:

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:11 PM

It's the most amazing thing. I was browing through my Morrowind directory, and I found voice files from all the different characters. The most important area to look in, was the "misc" voice files. They're all ... like ... less than 50 KB in size, and are of very high quality. I really wonder why. icon_odd.gif

I think, that if these actually worked, (And I know I'm counting my hens before they hatch..) we could have some killer voice acting in quests.

Opinions?

#2 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:18 PM

We could, but you're limited to sounds. A few replacements of some like an evil laughing would be nice. Make bad guys laugh every once in awhile. icon_wink.gif Funny stuff.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:46 PM

Indubitably. I may have said too little in the first post, ... but I did that on purpose. (Yeah, right. icon_rolleyes.gif )

Essentially, you have files such as "the final boss" saying things like "You pitiful mortal. How could you be so naive? Did you honestly think you could enter my fortress and defeat me? Ha ha ha! So weak and pathetic." Or "Did you honestly fall for that? You even brought the wrong sunder!" (The hammer you need to beat the game.)

Does anyone know if 1.92 Build 183 or 184 (Either one, really.) can support playing MP3's? These ARE MP3's, unless I'm mistaken, and they're a "different kind" of MP3.

But there IS a piece of laughter I can probably give you guys, after converting it to a (slightly larger, .. say.. 60 KB?) .wav file.

#4 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Dec 30 2004, 12:46 PM)
Does anyone know if 1.92 Build 183 or 184 (Either one, really.) can support playing MP3's?  These ARE MP3's, unless I'm mistaken, and they're a "different kind" of MP3.

No, they cannot. Well, perhaps 184 can, but 184's ZQuest hasn't been released. :\

#5 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:51 PM

Solution #1) Convert the mp3 to a wave file with winamp..

As for voice acting.. You are rather limited, unless DN/FCF decided to allow additions to sfx.dat files. Which they should do.

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:34 PM

Okay. Hold ... I'm uploading the .zip file. You can see (hear) the files I'm referring to. .. Wow, even on a 56K this is taking long. (I have nothing better to do than type what I'm thinking as it uploads. -_-; Talk about pathetic. icon_rolleyes.gif icon_razz.gif )

EDIT: Don't click on it. Copy the URL to your address bar upon opening a new window. Here, just copy the following line.
CODE
http://www.freewebs.com/britannianhero4/MorrowindVoicePack.zip

Try that, and see if it works. If it does work, you can see that all of the files within are happily less than 250 KB each, with most of them less than 50 KB, quite wonderfully so.

Thus, based on Ben's information, all you would need is a ZQuest 184. Such a thing does not exist from my limited knowledge. However, a new release of ZC would potentially have it, I'd wager, so until then, Beta Testers can run tests with it, and see if it works or not. Then, when the new release is out, (Whenever that is. icon_rolleyes.gif ) we can all try including small voice files in it, IF this test run works.

Okay. Opinions?

#7 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:24 PM

"A2-6_cave_closed" sounds liek a computer. I could cut out the last statement and use that as an sfx in my next Metroid quest, MOR. icon_wink.gif Brilliant.

Some of these would work quite well, BH4... and if we had custom SFX sounds for ZC... I'd be ripping Shao Kahn's voice SFX from MK3. It'd be just damn awesome to hear your opponent say "Muwahahahah, you suck!"

#8 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:40 PM

I'm downloading this as we speak and I will check if they will work in 1.93 or not. I believe they will, unless the MP3 was oddly formated or something.

But... I thought you were a tester BH4? icon_odd.gif

#9 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:19 PM

He is... icon_freak.gif

These voices are really good. If we ever get the ability to be able to use voices in-game as sound effects, this'll be sure to come in handy!

(On an undirecly related subject, Starcraft actually has a lot of great voices that would be great to use. Warcraft III would also have great voices too. If you use a certain program I'm pretty sure you can extract these directly from both games easily. )

#10 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:43 PM

Heh. What made you think I wasn't a tester, LTM? icon_razz.gif You've seen me in those forums before! ^_^;;

Starcraft and WCIII had speech files you could extract? icon_eek.gif I never found those. Morrowind, I know for a FACT had extractable ones, because for one, I extracted them. icon_razz.gif

#11 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:44 PM

Well I know StarCraft did, as I did at one point when I was making my Metroid map. Used a few voices for different things. I'm not sure about WCIII, but I assume you can, seeing as how it's the same type of thing.

BTW, the SC campaign sound files were there too, so there were clips where they said full sentences. I'll see if I can extract them again, and host them somewhere, depending on how big the zip gets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users